Isn't this inefficient? Wasting of gas? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Isn't this inefficient? Wasting of gas?

Hi

Isn't this efficient to continue having the engine on while you are gliding/cruising downhill like 0-15MPH? Prius turns itself off only when you need to gain more power. But for Insight, the engine just stays ON. Not sure if anybody has any idea if I miss any technological benefit out of this?

Thanks
blahblah_gc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

If I'm not mistaken the engine shuts off at coast and just freewheels. You have to keep your foot on the accelerator slightly to balance right between regen and ignition. I do this every day on even slight downhills and my instant MPG pegs at 150 until I reengage throttle at the bottom. I read somewhere on this forum where someone switched their display from MPG to LPK to verify that there was zero fuel used.
00 A6 2.7t w/light mods
Captain_Insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

ah i c. I guess I need to practice more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah_gc View Post
ah i c. I guess I need to practice more.
Finally got your drift by reading the subject line in addition to the text

Yes it is inefficient. You can avoid that inefficiency by getting the engine to autostop. Push the clutch in and shift to neutral. The engine will stop if you are below approx. 18 MPH. Keep your foot off the brake and the accelerator and it will stay stopped until you shift into gear again. Engine needs to be warm before autostop will work.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hmm? Does 2013 Insight have a clutch? As far as I know the ONLY clear way to shut down the engine is to press on the break paddle, shifting to N does not stop the engine. Also what Captain_Insight said should stop the engine too. Did I miss something? tx

Last edited by blahblah_gc; 06-05-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

The 2013 Insight does have a clutch but it's automated. When the car's warmed up it will run on the motor only with fuel cut off and light gas pedal pressure at low speeds. Autostop works with your foot on the brake as the car drops under 8mph in D but and will stay shut off if you shift to N.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

I missed that this was a 2nd gen question so my info may be less than correct.
00 A6 2.7t w/light mods
Captain_Insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm an old Gen 1 guy and I just have to assume everything is about Gen 1

A dangerous assumption since we seem to be getting more Gen2 folks - a good thing. For those young enough to remember Roseanne Rosana Dana on SNL, never mind!

Last edited by jime; 06-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Uriel. thanks for the reply. and what I dislike the most is to "maintain" my foot on the break pedal. I want to take the advantage of shutting off engine while moving really slow (5 MPH) like in some traffic jam. With this design, its almost impossible, the engine has to be on at all time.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the same irritation. I prefer the stop start implementation in some manual non-hybrids I've driven. They stop the engine when you shift to neutral and take your feet off the brake and clutch. When the car is stopped, I like to give my foot a rest.

Having driven both, I think that's the only area where a Prius really outshines an I2 - crawling traffic. Once you're on the move I prefer the Insight.

The best you can do in crawling traffic with the I2 is turn off the climate control (this makes autostop engaging much more likely), leave a slight gap when he car in front moves, then accelerate to 8mph and just touch the brake slightly. With very light pressure, you can keep the car rolling with the engine off for some distance on the flat or a slight downhill

In slightly faster traffic, once you're over about 11mph you should be able to keep the car in EV mode with a very steady right foot over some fair distances too. Don't abuse it though. You only need to use the battery enough to generate capacity for regenerative braking. If you use the motor too much, the car will go into forced regen and that's bad for fuel economy.

Last edited by Uriel; 06-05-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in