EV Mode Activation Switch - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EV Mode Activation Switch

It would be really nice to have a switch to engage EV mode for the Insight. The switch would basically emulate very light pressing of the throttle pedal to activate the Hybrid Battery consumption mode, where only the NiMH battery is used to propel the vehicle.

I often use this mode going down hills when the battery is already charged or for Pulse and Glide techniques on flat roads.

Any ideas Modding Community?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Basically you want MIMA or IMAC&C for the G2. Lot's of people do.
Unfortunately no one has done the necessary research to do that yet.

I offered to do it some time ago if the community provided me with a G2 Insight to do the work on. Unsurprisingly that never worked out.

You need a G2 $$, the time, equipment and skills to do the work.
I haven't got a car and won't have the time for at least 18 months to have a look at it.

The G2 uses CAN comms and the difficulty in implementing a control system is much higher than the G1 or HCH1 Civic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Theres more than one way to skin a cat. My idea was to make a FAS switch to kill the injectors by the yellow/black wires. For EV mode you would push and hold this button while giving throttle. It should work in theory.

In my experience I think the ima battery is just too small to do that and I use to have a phev kit back feeding it 117 volts and 17 amps. I got a mile and half before it pooped out when combined with a fully charged ima battery.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default idea for EV mode

Hi New to the forum and Gen 2 insight, but rather than full EV mode I had wondered if it was possible to fool the car into thinking that the brake is lightly pressed, to trigger pure regen braking. has anyone encountered where the brake on is fed to the various control units, and if there is an analogue as well as digital brake light feed?
andyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
Hi New to the forum and Gen 2 insight, but rather than full EV mode I had wondered if it was possible to fool the car into thinking that the brake is lightly pressed, to trigger pure regen braking. has anyone encountered where the brake on is fed to the various control units, and if there is an analogue as well as digital brake light feed?
I actually wanted the same thing for my I2 ...

I have EV mode on my CT200h. I mean it's nice having the option and all, but, I can basically enter EV mode with modulation of the gas pedal on demand. Especially after having drove the Insight, it's totally easy for me because you had to be real particular with pedal modulation on the I2 to enter EV mode.

Being able to trigger full regen, let's say I'm coasting down the other side of a hill, and get maximum regen while doing it without touching the brake pedal would be SUPREME on an I2.

I really don't think the brake pads / shoes actually engage if you barely touch the brake pedal, so, your thinking might have something to it.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

If we had not had one of the four front pads sticking, they would have lasted to 80 k at least. The three that were not worn and came off at 60 k were only half worn. So I do think you are right, the pads don't engage until the final phase of a typical stop and probably not at all when just slowing down.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 02:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
If we had not had one of the four front pads sticking, they would have lasted to 80 k at least. The three that were not worn and came off at 60 k were only half worn. So I do think you are right, the pads don't engage until the final phase of a typical stop and probably not at all when just slowing down.
The pads on my Insight lasted until either 150 or 160k miles.

I *think* the front left caliper had begun wearing out because the front right pads still had decent life left.

Kinda funny you can have a car and worry about the life of the calipers, arguably more, than the pads ... lol

And I reused the rotors. LOL

Definitely grooved out well though, should probably have replaced them, but, I didn't have any pedal pulsation issues or vibration of any sort when braking, so.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in