Vehicle speed sensor - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vehicle speed sensor

Hi, I've searched around and can't find any good information on where the vehicle speed sensor is located. I'm in the process of installing a new Pioneer head unit that has navigation built in.

Does anyone know where the wire might be located. Thanks

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
info.
aglowlight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Typically you are looking for a certain color coded wire. The speed sensor is likely located on top of the cvt under the air cleaner housing.

Now the stock radio taps the speed sensor as it varies the loudness of the radio as you drive, so the wire goes to the head unit. Id look for a purple/white wire at the head unit. The orange wire is for illumination.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Cobb!

I looked at the wiring harness of the original unit. There are two harnesses, 1 that supplies the power, ground, speakers, etc. 2 a second harness that isn't used when using an aftermarket head unit. I couldn't find a purple wire, but did find a pinkish, reddish wire. Do you think the speed sensor wire is on the second harness?

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Should be similar to this. Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) location - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Pin 14

Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Looking at Installation Parts for Car Stereo Installers - Harnesses, Dash Kits, Bluetooth, Installer Tools, metra, i-phone, android, and tablets they have a few different adapters. What radio did your car come with? Was it a single din with pocket or the large one that occupies the whole dash area next to the ac controls?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

It was the large one on the ex, no pocket at all.

My
info.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Always use metra adapters when installing aftermarket head units (I like them for the speakers as well)
The adapter will have all the leads labeled. Makes the install completely reversible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
Always use metra adapters when installing aftermarket head units (I like them for the speakers as well)
The adapter will have all the leads labeled. Makes the install completely reversible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree metra makes great parts, but I don't think their part includes the pin for VSS.

That being said based on the information Cobb provided I found a blue wire in pin 14 that I will test.

My
info.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Should be pin 14 vsp (Vehicle Speed Pulse) is blue wire next to purple on 24 pin connector. Pin 13 in 17 pin connector. Purple is accessory fuse and wire next to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in