Grid charger connection 2nd Gen - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grid charger connection 2nd Gen

New to the site this has probably been answered...but, Can anyone help with where to connect a grid charger to the Battery in the 2nd generation (2010 Insight)?. Photos would help a lot.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Do you know much about electronics? Do you have a grid charger?

Me, I connect mines through the cables for my PHEV kit. It has 2 leads that connect to 2 of the 4 10mm bolts next to the braker. 2 are positive, 2 are negative. They are live with the key on, but since its over 100 volts dc you should give it the up most respect.

When balacning I use a beach key in the ignition with a 12 volt charger on the starter battery so the cooling system can keep the ima battery comfortable.

One of the experts was going to make a harness to power the blower, but thats another story.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think Im the only one who has connected one to a gen 2, but Im not that smart in regards to electronics and such. I did it as preventative maintenance as I own my car early on vs lease or plan on making payments for a few years then trading for another vehicle down the road.

For the first batch of 2nd gens you need to remove all the crap in your trunk. Most of the trim pieces around the ima battery pops out. You need to unscrew the large wing nut holding the spare tire. The spare tire holder comes out with a few 12 mm bolts. You need to pop off some trim pieces around it to access the bolts.

The metal cover comes off with a few torex screws. You also need to remove the 10 mm bolts around the access panel for the braker switch on the right side. Flip the switch off. At the rear bottom is a black plug that is like a big ribit you need to pry out. Carefully remove the metal shield as it can cut you.

Now you got access to the outside of the ima battery box and it should look like one of the 2 photos I posted. Double test all your connections and be careful as its around 100 volts dc.

2 of the 10 mm nuts or bolts by the braker are positive 2 are negative. I dont recall which are which, that will require testing with a vom set to dc voltage in the 100 volt range. The battery pack is engaged with the key on and the braker on.

Once you tested your connection, got it connected, carefully route the wires out and reinstall everything. My grid charger is set to a no load voltage of 134. It can take up to 36 hours for the voltage to stabilize and thats around 120-122 volts depending on temperature. I use a beach key so the car cant be started to power it up and use a ten amp battery charger on the starter battery to keep things cool. The blower speed varies, but is usually blowing a constant speed after a few hours into it.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cobb,

You are not going to be the only one to grid charge a Gen 2 for long. The two 10mm closest to the rear are positive. See photo of my preliminary connection. Note the fuse as close as possible to the bat connection. Once I get it all working I will permanently wire it up. My goal is to make this removable (without a trace) for oblivious reasons.
Thanks again for your help

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You dont have to remove it if its a private sale. You may infact be able to change a premium if its a high mileage vehicle. Now Ive seen it take me up to 36 hours to get the voltage to stabilize meaning all cells are balanced. Ive also seen it required every 4 months if you are anal about your cells being balanced. Just doing it to increase your mpg wears off after 7 miles or so.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cobb,

Yes that is my plan as well. I am only going to balance the cell once evey 4 months or so. I was planning on balancing at 0.75 amps. You trickel until you reach 120 - 122 volts, At what rate (current) do you use to balance and do you measure battery voltage while charging or just floating (no charge)?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

.250 ma, under load, wait til voltage stablizes for an hour as it can go up and down during the balance process. Ive seen it go up to 130 volts and low as 95. 90% SOC is like 113 volts.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up I've been looking for this for days!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU Cobb & CraigM for posting these photos. You guys made my day!

I have a Honda Jazz (aka. Fit) Hybrid 2011. I've spent hours googling & reading and there's practically zero DIY material on the Jazz/Fit Hybrid in the web.

What I wanted to find out was a way to hook up a grid charger to the Jazz. I knew that the nominal battery voltage in Jazz was the same as in the Insight 2, but these photos confirm that at least on the outside it's an identical battery pack.

CraigM, did you come up with a way of hooking up the charger without a trace yet? I still have a year of IMA warranty left.
mixu- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

mixu-, what country are you from and what language do you speak? Maybe type honda insight grid charger in your language and post it in a post to this thread so its easier for others to find?

I try to search Japanse sites, but I find the best to use is ze2. Insight in Japanese is contracted to in-site. In English site means like a place, work area, building. Sight means like what you see with your eye.

The modifications is easily reversible. Are you having problems with your car? We notice a bad or weak starter battery 12 volts will cause ima performance issues. Have you checked your starter battery?

Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm from Finland, so no joy in searching with my language. There are probably around 100 of these Hybrids in the country and I'm pretty sure I will soon have the only one with a grid charger installed

I have been a bit disappointed in the IMA capacity and I'm not getting the mileage the car is supposed to be capable of (around 10% worse than specified). And that's driving below the speed limit on highway, and utilizing many hypermiling techniques. I see quite a lot of parasitic charging.

Now that you mention it, the 12V battery "inspection window" does indicate the battery "needs charging". The voltage doesn't seem too bad (12,6V) and I have a battery load test report that says it was at 75% health 7 months ago. So I figured it would be fine since it's rarely used for starting anyway. It's a 4 year old battery so it might be worth replacing.

Last edited by mixu-; 04-07-2015 at 11:59 AM.
mixu- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
grid charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in