2014 Service Manual? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2014 Service Manual?

Hello,

Just bought a 2014 Honda Insight brand new. Anyone have a source for the service Manual to put on CD? I see there is one for the 2001 to 2006 version? Thanks for all the help, Jeff
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

It wouldn't be much different from the 2013 manual which you can find at Honda Insight Owners Manuals | JustGiveMeTheDamnManual.com
(I'm not the first to post this link, but I couldn't find the original post which I thought I had bookmarked...)

Now I tried downloading that but it takes minutes (??) It might be my PC or the time of year, but chances are it is slow and you wouldn't want to wait that long.
So here's a link to an older manual that loads (relatively) fast: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...1/M81111OM.pdf

HTH Bart

EDIT My bad, this is the owners manual. Wouldn't know where to find a service manual.

EDIT The latest owners manual online and quite some info straight from the horses mouth: http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/inf...nsight/manuals.
Probably not what you're looking for, but still worth a look.
Also available for other MY; just change the year in the link.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-13-2014 at 06:01 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated

They have done service manuals for Honda and other manufacturers for years. While they may still print manuals, they seem to have gone to an online subscription model now.

I do want to point out that while you have had several Hondas (I think you said that?) Those were far simpler vehicles that a hybrid will be. You now own a car that may need software updates for instance. So you might want to do a little dealer service. Not because you can't do it yourself or need it for the warranty, but to vet some local dealers so you know where to go when you really need to. Look for presidents awards for service excellence. That means complains are low and satisfaction high. A good dealer can go to bat for you with Honda for out of warranty repairs. I have had it happen, saving me thousands.

Another thing about service: this new Honda has an oil life meter that really works. Go by it. Do not change the initial oil fill early. You gain nothing and may be dumping some polymers the factory wants in there until they say to replace it. That will be at least 8,000 miles and could be 10,000.

That said, do change the CVT fluid earlier that the MID says. Like every second oil change. (I think the MID will set the code for that after 3 or 4 changes)
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Service Manual

Thanks for the info. What is the term "MID" I keep hearing? I am assuming that's the service schedule? I have the Helms manual for the older Honda's and always got it when I bought any cars. A manual is a great general reference for a do-it-yourselfer and while I know that this car is much more technical than my 2000 & 2001 models, I do like to do my own oil changes, filter and plug replacement. I would always buy the Helms manual. I would think that somebody has to have a repair guide such as Helms, Chiltons, Haynes or Motor besides on-line references. I will keep looking and report my findings here.

You also mentioned the CVT fluid and I had this changed once on my Accord at about 60,000 miles. For this car, you guys are mentioning to change it after every other oil change? I do oil changes at about 5000 miles and use synthetic oil. I am perplexed at the frequency of the change (wow)?

I did take the bumper to bumper extended warrenty out on the car for 7 years/70000 miles.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

MID refers to the little 2 inch tv screen in the middle of the tach.

Multi Information Display?

I purchased a service and electric manual on ebay for 50 bucks. Since they are for a trained tech, they omit a lot of basic stuff for the backyard mechanic. You tube has a lot of good info too.

The Insight uses a friction pack vs torque converter and that generates a lot of trash to circulate in the fluid. Changing it every other oil change makes for better smoother performance.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

No no no! You got it all wrong... it is Multi-Information Display. With a hyphen!

See Multi-Information Display (MID) | 2014 Honda Insight | Honda Owners Site
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, now you are going to use science to time oil changes. Dumping perfectly good oil on a strict miles elapsed basis is so 20th century! I am completely serious about leaving that factory oil in until the MID shows 10% life remaining. My second oil change was at about 18k. That is when I decided to have the CVT fluid changed. That is when the CVT designer said it should be done. It made the trans much smoother. Changing the fluid is as easy as changing the oil. You should only use real Honda fluid. A normal drain and fill gets most of the fluid replaced. A traditional Honda automatic just draining only gets about 1/3 of the fluid. Do you use fresh crush washers on your drain plugs and torque to spec? See, there are things it pays to be obsessive about, oil interval is just no longer one of them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Good Info

Hello,

First off thanks for the MID definition. I appreciate the explanation.

I was able to find the Helms Service Manual via my Honda dealer parts guy. He was a real help and pointed me in the right direction. He said that the service manual is the 2012 Service Manual and that covers all the Gen 2 models. I will call Helms tomorrow to verify and also the Honda Service Center when I pick the car up tomorrow. The Helm part I got is 61TM802 and is 2 books at $150. I will report the findings to you guys on both accounts.

Thanks for the info on the CVT. I am also going to talk to the service guys to get their perspective on this. It sounds reasonable and I guess these trannys are much different from the originals. I will get about four of those crushed washers for the oil and if the CVT has one, I will get that also.

All the best and thanks!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I believe there are some minor changes for the 12 on run. Us 10 owners notice improvements in cvt operating with frequent fluid changes. Its not required but once, but its something we learned. Change it too frequently and you waste money and time. Dont change it enough and you have accelerated wear, thermal and performance issues.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Cvt

Cobb,
How often are you changing your CVT fluid and it appears to be an easy change? Thx, Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in