3M Paint Defender - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3M Paint Defender

Others have said the Insight paint chips too easy. I have only 5000 miles and have a few chips already.

I decided to look into Clear Bra and I saw precut film and bulk film. I have enough trouble getting my phone protector on right.

Then I saw Paint Defender from 3M. Full kit is about $30. I can covered my hood, bumper, fenders, and mirrors. I did the headlight too.

The kit literally has everything. Plastic to protect the rest of the car, tape, a can holder, wax, and a large spray can.

I took the car to a hand car wash. I spent some extra time getting the bugs off. I then waxed with the provided wax. I did the whole front. I put the plastic over the rest of the car and under the hood by the wipers. I taped the plastic down the fender and covered the tires with a garbage bag.

Spraying was as per videos. There are several on YouTube. When you finish one section don't go back. I had my son watch for any area I missed. You spray in two directions to eliminate gaps.

I can't take a picture because all you would see is a car. It drys clear and with a nice shine. You can see a slight line where I taped down the fender. Next time I'l do all the way to the door. I have a little orange peel where I went back over an area (hence the advice not to go back).
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

This is the spray on bra? Not a bad price. Even the magnet bra is like 50 bucks.

Magnetic Car Bra for 2010 2013 Honda Insight Auto Hood | eBay

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very interesting! You'll have to report back and let us know how it's going. I always wanted to put on the 3M Clear bra, but it's expensive. If this work well, it would be great!
Currently 185K miles, LMPG-58.9 (darn SATX traffic!)
jrmgarcia@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Looking at it at work today in direct sunlight, I have more orange peel than I thought. From a few feet away it look fine. Yesterday when the sun was setting it looked better.

Here is what I used: http://www.amazon.com/3M-90100-Paint-Defender-System/dp/B00CCOBOI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411408547&sr=8-1&keywords=paint+defender+kit
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Spray on is usually temporary... Maybe last about 3 months or so I would think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in