Hankook Optimo H426 (10/11 stock size) - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hankook Optimo H426 (10/11 stock size)

I scored these tires and have put a little bit over 10k miles on them.

I was not sure what to expect because I've never used Hankook before and generally go with Yokohama.

But I was in a position of I needed something cheap at the time. The cheapest.

After my Avid Touring-S Yokohama tires which were a fantastic tire developed sidewall bubbles on one tire, twice, I just needed some cheap tires.

I'm back at the original stock 2011 tire size so the tires aren't quite as wide and low as the Yoko's on previously but the performance is close. Not equal, but close. At a much fairer price, too. Infinitely better than the OEM Dunlops.

So if you need a cheap tire fix and a good all-around tire I'd definitely have the Optimo H426 be an option for evaluation.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My daughter's Kia Optima Hybrid came with Optimo tires. Next time she is here I will post the tire model.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thats good to know. I know there was a national article about China made tires not cutting it and there are quite a few brands Ive never heard of. Then again there are name brands I avoid too.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

There's actually one thing the Hankook H426 is better at than OEM Dunlop's or the Yoko Touring-S tires ...

They are very quiet. Probably the most silent tire I've owned.

I forgot to mention that.

Not that I care if a tire is quiet or not, because I really don't care, but I figure if I was going to describe their characteristics I should probably mention everything I was aware of.

Tread life so far seems pretty decent too.

Not planning on testing them this winter, after last winter I don't give a damn if it snows or not, my Blizzak's are getting swapped in. (I was like "last winter was a joke I'm not going to bother," yea bad decision)

Did I forget to mention how I slid at LEAST 100 foot (I'd figure 150'ish) on an icy highway nearly into the rear-end of a semi trailer? A cop was along the road and traffic naturally slows way down, a semi jumps into my ice-laden lane. I'm like ah no problem, brake ... brake ... !!! BRAKE COME ON! lol. Even on ice the Insight did a super good job keeping the car pointed where I was steering. I was fish tailing like crazy but finally got it back under control. That was with the Yoko's equipped.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Even if the abs system fights you, just push the petal to the floor and it will stop faster. I had that happen the day it was 0 F degrees out. When its 32f or abouts the yoko tires are fine for me.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had the brake pedal pushed in. It was braking. Very slowly. I was on ice. It was gripping what it could here and there.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I usually lower my psi to 36 in winter and in that case you try everything driving out of it or manually applying the brakes. Once you lock all 4 wheels it has no reference to you are sliding on ice. This is where you release and reapply or tap the gas and redo the brakes again.

Ive found turning off trac control helps when stuck on ice as the car will stop moving if its slick under both wheels.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Optimo tires on the Kia hybrid are H426

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Another vote for the Hankook

I have a 2011 Insight EX with nav. It has about 38,000 miles on the original Dunlops.

A good friend of mine has been in the tire business for decades. I mentioned to him that the Dunlops were adequate but had a bit of a stiff and noisy ride. He recommended the Hankook H426 over everything else available, and got them to me for about $20.00 a tire below what any other comparable competitor would go for.

I'm having them installed in a few days and look forward to seeing how they compare in ride, noise and fuel economy.
Rick330man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in