Lower grill block - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lower grill block

I've done one section. Is it safe to block the entire thing? They'll all be colored black to match better.

IMG_20141014_201143.jpg

These are the average temps in my area. Not terribly cold (or warm) throughout the year:

Whitehaven, United Kingdom Weather Averages | Monthly Average High and Low Temperature | Average Precipitation and Rainfall days | World Weather Online

Much to be gained from this mod and what about the lower part of the upper grill?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dmt257; 10-16-2014 at 09:11 AM.
dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt257 View Post
I've done one section. Is it safe to block the entire thing? They'll all be colored black to match better.

~86F is considered "moderate" temperatures here. We just had a cool spell and it's 80 right now.

Much to be gained from this mod and what about the lower part of the upper grill?
I used one piece of the split foam rubber that is used to cover 3/4" dia A/C pipes as only one strip across my lower grill. We get 90 to 100F temperatures in the summer and I haven't seen any good or bad affects from the grill block.

As far as a noticeable mpg increase, I doubt it is measurable with one tube. The coolant temperature may go up but your frontal area has increased compared to the air being able to flow into the grill instead of having to change course to go around the car. That area of the grill is at a 90 angle to the air flow.

Also, I picture some of the air flow that goes upward after hitting the upper part of the bumper as being able to go into the upper air intake rather than being disturbed air flowing over the bonnet and windscreen if the hood opening is blocked.

Just remember that other posters have reported that the Insight temperature gauge is a rather lazy one. If you see it go up one or two bars the engine is very hot. They recommend if you want to really cover up a lot of the grill that you ought to have a more sensitive readout device.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

It is not safe to block the lower grill unless you monitor air intake temperature or if it is not sweltering hot.

I run my lower grill block all year round, but I do monitor air intake temperature.

You don't want to get the under hood air temp up too high, the 12V battery should not get hot for instance. Anything above 40C / 105F for a prolongd time should be avoided.
That only happened to me when I got stuck in a traffic jam on the hottest day in 6 years, A/C running all the time.
The MID (nose) temp showed 40C.
Air intake went gradually up to 50C, then sharply to 70C. I killed the A/C and it went slowly down. On the move again it dropped below 40C quickly despite the full lower block.

Come winter I'll start blocking some of the upper grill again too.

Last edited by RedDevil; 10-16-2014 at 05:44 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you have to run the A/C with a grill block in, your block is probably costing more fuel usage then it saves.

Reduced condenser efficiency -> more gas used to turn the compressor getting you to the same temperature.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 03:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I would only use the grill blocks in the winter time (average lows approx 2 deg C and highs 7 deg C). I drive using hypermiling techniques so the engine gets an easy ride. Not too much heat generated there either.

RedDevil- is your foam just crammed in there or have you secured it somehow?

olrowdy01- the gen 2 doesn't have a temp gauge. An icon illuminates when telling us when the engine is cold or hot and that's it. There is nothing to indicate that the engine is anything in-between, other than the absence of both.

Last edited by dmt257; 10-17-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt257 View Post
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I would only use the grill blocks in the winter time (average lows approx 2 deg C and highs 7 deg C). I drive using hypermiling techniques so the engine gets an easy ride. Not too much heat generated there either.

RedDevil- is your foam just crammed in there or have you secured it somehow?

olrowdy01- the gen 2 doesn't have a temp gauge. An icon illuminates when telling us when the engine is cold or hot and that's it. There is nothing to indicate that the engine is anything in-between, other than the absence of both.
The upper grill does allow enough air in to cool both radiators even when A/C is full on, unless you are stationary.

I did test my grill block at 30C and it helps even then, at least when going 55/60 mph on the flat. I could hold a steady 3.0 l/100 km with the grill block and 3.3 without. Now I dont think the block alone gives me a 10% better economy; there must have been outside factors. But it is unlikely to be detrimental.

Bottom line: you need to remove the block when the fans kick in regularly.
I had that happen only once this far, the aforementioned traffic jam on the record hot day.

I routed the out feeler of a cheap in/out digital thermometer in the air intake before I had my UltraGauge. You can also make a LED indicator parallel to the fan to indicate that, but then you get no prewarning.

When it is really cold (below -5C' I could not get the interior up to 20C within 20 miles. With the lower grill block it takes just less than that, with both grills blocked in 10 miles

The foam is just crammed in, but I made the fault to use wide pipes. I cut them in half so you only have a front. I lost one already and had to push them back in regularly.
I painted them black which looked nice and lasted at least a week or 2.
When I make a new grill block I'd use a black plate or so instead of the foam and hinge it on the top to allow some air in from below if needed.

Last edited by RedDevil; 10-17-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

I use foam pipe insulation for lower grill on my G1. I cut notches to fit the vertical parts then push into place. Nothing to fasten it, stays there all winter, easily removable.

Here's a link to a G1 thread with a few examples. Mine is on page 2 post #12

I'm not familiar with the G2, but for the older models we're careful on how much blocking is done unless we have a device to read actual coolant temp. Our G1 temp indicators on the dash are slow to respond and result in cooked engines before the gage shows hot. I use Peter Perkins' OBDIIC&C to monitor ect.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 10-17-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 04:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
The upper grill does allow enough air in to cool both radiators even when A/C is full on, unless you are stationary.

I did test my grill block at 30C and it helps even then, at least when going 55/60 mph on the flat. I could hold a steady 3.0 l-100 km with the grill block and 3.3 without. Now I dont think the block alone gives me a 10% better economy; there must have been outside factors. But it is unlikely to be detrimental.

Bottom line: you need to remove the block when the fans kick in regularly.
I had that happen only once this far, the aforementioned traffic jam on the record hot day.

I routed the out feeler of a cheap in/out digital thermometer in the air intake before I had my UltraGauge. You can also make a LED indicator parallel to the fan to indicate that, but then you get no prewarning.

When it is really cold (below -5C' I could not get the interior up to 20C within 20 miles. With the lower grill block it takes just less than that, with both grills blocked in 10 miles
Great info thanks.

Looks like I'll be ok for the winter then without knowing temps. I'll keep in the blocks year round if I can monitor temps.

Mountaindriver- I'd thought about doing that. I'll give it a try.

Should be done this weekend

Old 10-17-2014, 04:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

edited while you posted.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

idem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in