Power wasting eco button - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Power wasting eco button

I drive with lights almost all the time.
I noticed lately that my eco button is actually quite warm. I never noticed it had a light at all, but it does and it gets hot! Not very eco... they should have made it red

So... I changed some lights for LEDs and here is an obvious candidate.
It does not look very accessible though.
Any suggestions how I could access it?
Any other easily accessible permanently burning lights in the interior?
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 06:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You could unplug it if you dont change that setting.

Interesting discovery. You can pop it out of the dash and take a look or buy a second one to mod, then switch them out. I keep my dash dim and dont think any of the buttons have felt warm.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
You can pop it out of the dash and take a look
Ehm, how?
I'm not that handy.
Can I use a hammer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been feeling out all the lighted buttons this evening.

All buttons in the cluster with the Eco button are warm; mirror control, ESP, TC; I bet they all have traditional bulbs.
None of the other buttons is warm; not on the radio, not the window switches I bet they are LEDs.
Don't know what's lighting the instrument cluster but as it is plain white light I suspect those are LEDs too.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Do the buttons on your steering wheel light up? Mines does. I felt mines all too today as I have an hour commute and none were warm. I have my dash lights set to 50% brightness.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have it at max brightness, as there seems to be nothing in between 60% brightness and 100% brightness; 60% is not enough in daylight.
The buttons on the steering wheel light up and are cool, just like anything that is well away of the eco button.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

If its the eco button that bothers you, its a normally open momentary push button switch. If you do not use it and do not have the fog lights you can just unplug it. If you have fog lights its piggy backed for powering the switch and relay.

I wouldnt worry, its likely a small bulb and uses 2 watts tops.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm not worried, just amused about Honda cheapskating on the very eco button
But if I can swap the bulb for one of my spare LEDs then why not? That 2 Watts would save me a liter in say 1000 hours of running. In the end it will save me some.

BTW they even get warm(ish) at low illumination.
Frankly, I hope the power drop from switching them for LEDs would make the rest light up brighter, reducing the gap between full bright and one step below that; so dimming would actually become useful.

Last edited by RedDevil; 10-31-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thats interesting. Ive taken apart switches in the past and its like a small grain of wheat bulb in them for the logo to light up. They seem to last a long time, maybe longer than an led?

Maybe there is an illumination lead you can clip and turn them all off? Ill have to check the manual next time I come across it. I know the radio harness has a orange lead for radios that illuminate with the dash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in