09-14 Insight Grid Charger package coming soon - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2015, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Default 09-14 Insight Grid Charger package coming soon

Hello second gen forums. I've never actually posted here before, feels sorta funny being a newbie on a site that I have posted on thousands of times.

We at Hybrid Automotive are planning to release a second generation Insight grid charger system in a few weeks. The fan drive is solved, just need a car to fit the rest of the harness onto and to finish some install instructions.

Is a grid charger package with deep discharge compatibility something that would be of interest to you friendly four door people?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Extending the life of your hybrid
Best Tank: 90.2MPG over 918.7 miles 010MCM/030BCM, No MIMA. Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Dark Blue Insight. Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, three blues, and a Citrus

jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I got one of the dumb chargers made with a few mean well power supplies Ive been using. For cooling and to power the relay I leave a dummy key in the ignition turned on and a 12 volt battery charger on the starter battery to keep that system up.

Discharger? Any proof that works? Does it help you measure or at least guestimate capacity? I think being able to tell where you stand would be nice so as regular maintenance you can check stuff and see.

I find I need to balance every 4 months and it takes about 36 hours.

Terminates between 122 to 121.7 volts.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

The second gen Insight uses the same NiMh sticks as the Civic Hybrid and first generation Insight. We have many customers with those vehicles that have been very happy with the charging & discharging process. I am optimistic that the same positive results can be obtained on the second generation Insight as well.

2006 Dark Blue Insight. Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, three blues, and a Citrus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Would it be useful for charging a parallel booster pack at say 117 Volt?
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I got one of the dumb chargers made with a few mean well power supplies Ive been using. For cooling and to power the relay I leave a dummy key in the ignition turned on and a 12 volt battery charger on the starter battery to keep that system up.

Discharger? Any proof that works? Does it help you measure or at least guestimate capacity? I think being able to tell where you stand would be nice so as regular maintenance you can check stuff and see.

I find I need to balance every 4 months and it takes about 36 hours.

Terminates between 122 to 121.7 volts.
I'm a G1 guy myself. But here's my 50 cents worth on discharging, I had good results. I nursed an ailing pack on my 'Red' for a couple years while saving up for a replacement pack. I combined grid charging with deep discharging.

Grid charging would provide balancing benefits to a point. I would track miles traveled (as a measuring stick) until symptoms returned. Miles traveled would get progressively less after each grid charge (I'd use 3 grid charges), eventually the car would code after only a few hundred miles of travel.

Then I would go with a series of 3 grid charges and deep discharges. I could routinely run 3,000 miles after a 'reconditioning' that included deep discharge. Over time the mileage would decrease again, and I would 'service' the pack with just grid charging until down to a few hundred again.

I can't speak for the G2, or to what degree of discharging to suggest. I can definitely attest to the improved benefit to the G1 pack the combination of grid charging and discharging provides.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Hrmm, sure should work. I'd keep the two packs isolated while charging just to be safe

Old 02-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm in for a "plug n' play" set up. I have a 2013 but I rather not wait till I need one!
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackStreet View Post
I'm in for a "plug n' play" set up. I have a 2013 but I rather not wait till I need one!
Thanks, we will be sure to post it hear as soon as it is released. It will be plug and play, everything needed to charge and balance the pack will be included.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thats whats nice about the Mike DB2K charger as its completely universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I can say from my use of a dumb charger I get improved ima performance, but no measurable change in mpg. Havent done the discharging thing yet. I dont see myself going to that extreme when better batteries are available for sale.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in