Cargo cover experiences - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cargo cover experiences

Hello,

Have been using a tarp in the back to cover things, but the local dealer doesn't have any in stock, and they are non-returnable. Hoping someone hear can respond about how it affects visibility on the road.

I was considering making one out of a window shade, but couldn't figure out a way for the retraction yet.

If you have one could you post a photo from the back seat towards the trunk?
2010L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I got one from ebay for about a third their asking price.It mounts behind the rear seat tops and pulls to the bottom of the second window blocking the trunk view.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

The cargo cover lays just beneath the top of the rear seats and cannot be seen through the rearview mirror. It lays about an inch lower than the little back windshield. I can take a photo later if you want.
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

That would be helpful as I can't seem to find any photos.
Is is a thick or thin material, worried about it being punctured by tools or bicycle parts.
2010L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Are we talking about the factory supplied cargo NET? Or is there an actual cover like on the older CRX's?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 MT BLACK Honda Insight.
Insightlover2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insightlover2011 View Post
Are we talking about the factory supplied cargo NET? Or is there an actual cover like on the older CRX's?
They are talking about SECOND gen Insight. Not like your 2000 first gen.

(Sorry if you already knew that.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I realized that after I asked.

I'd still like to get me that cargo-net for our 1st gen.

2000 MT BLACK Honda Insight.
Insightlover2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010L View Post
That would be helpful as I can't seem to find any photos.
Is is a thick or thin material, worried about it being punctured by tools or bicycle parts.

The material itself is a thin plastic, but seems pretty durable. It has a canvas type texture to it. The handle part is a little thicker so don't be fooled by the images taken from the rear. In the close up shot you can see the difference between the two pieces. My keyboard stands and other various music equipment hasn't damaged it. I'd think most bike parts would be okay.
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nice pictures!

You can find these cargo covers on Amazon, too. I bought one. Don't like leaving things in the car, but when you're out on errands, it keeps stuff out of sight. Works well, retracts into the support and can be taken off and stored under the floor... believe there a space for it under there according to the Owner's Manual.

Like anything else in the car, it could be damaged by something like a bike, but you can stash it in that space under the floor, so no need to damage it.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

We get those as standard with our cars over here.
Sturdy enough; I have loaded and overloaded my trunk several times pulling the tarp over it with a big bulge. To the point that it nearly touched the glass and was hard to fit in the side slots.
I even bent the end plate somewhat, it contains metal so if you bend it it stays in that shape and needs to be bent flat again.

If you release it to load the trunk the end plate hangs down a bit, which can be a nuisance. But you can lift it over the beam and tuck it behind the rear seats, it stays put there nicely; easy in, easy out.
I'm glad with the rolling tarp, I like it better than a parcel shelf (against my own expectations...!)

Last edited by RedDevil; 02-19-2015 at 04:41 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cargo cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in