Performance Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2015, 01:59 AM  

Lightbulb Performance Insight

So I am new to the I2 I have but have experience with other cars and performance modification, so I was starting this thread to see if anyone had any tips, tricks, or experience to share about their performance mod attempts?

I plan on advancing timing about 12 degrees, building a cold air intake tomorrow, eventually changing the cat and going with a 2 inch, maybe 2 and a quarter inch exhaust from as far forward as possible on the exhaust. Interior wise I am thinking I won't change the seats to bucket seats since they seem to have pretty good bolsters already, but will definitely be making myself a Harness bar to run almost along the roof so I can put in a 4 or 5 point harness. I need to snoop around under the hood a bit more, but are the injectors direct or port injection? or something different?? I have been reading as many threads as I can about performance and I have heard of 3 injectors and adding a 4th when going for boost, but as far as I can tell that is just for G1's??

Anyway, I would like to see and hear experiences with performance upgrades not only pertaining to the motor but to the suspension, tires, rims, seats, and bracing upgrades. It seems like there isn't much aftermarket support for mods of the performance orientation, but I will post up everything I craft for it, but be warned, it may seem very unprofessional and ugly, but its all for the function, not the form!
insightsport23 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 02:07 AM  

I also forgot to add that I was going to try and look into a hondata for a fit 1.3 and see if that can work for our cars at some point.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:46 AM  

I've wondered if either the 1.5l CR-Z engine or the various supercharger or turbocharger kits for the CRZ might work. I believe that there was a 1.5l version of the I2 released in Japan and I've seen pictures of Japanese I2s with a supercharger under the bonnet (hood). Unlikely to do much in the way of performance modding myself though.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 07:59 AM  

2 1/4 " exhaust, 4th injector, advancing the timing (how?)....

This is a joke, right?

It is a 1 liter, low redline engine.
Very little performance potential.
You bought the wrong car, unless,,, Have you seen the K engine swaps?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:35 PM  

I believe he is talking about modifying the G2.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 01:05 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortoncomando View Post
2 1/4 " exhaust, 4th injector, advancing the timing (how?)....

This is a joke, right?

It is a 1 liter, low redline engine.
Very little performance potential.
You bought the wrong car, unless,,, Have you seen the K engine swaps?
It is a g2, I may not have made that clear. I'm not looking for huge gains, just to have a bit more fun when I have noisy civics driving next to me. I was thinking of perhaps doing a 5 psi turbo, wanted to look into it a bit more on the g2 motor first, but if not I wanted to fit an openflash electronic supercharger. It uses a turbo compressor housing and an electric motor that spins to about 70k rpms to produce 5 psi for a few seconds, thought that might be a bit of fun and surprising to people in my area.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:30 PM  

Oh, G2, right, sorry.

In that case, aren't you worried about that goofy 'Belt-type' CVT handling the extra power?

From what I have read it is already the weak link in that car.

And don't even talk to me about the goofy paddle shifters that add a fake SW generated 'bump' to simulate gears shifting in a transaxle that does not have gears to shift.
If anything that added 'bump' only adds wear and tear to the transaxle.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 PM  

I am worried a bit, but the goal for the unassisted power is only 115hp, and I don't think it will cause transmission failure unless I am "neutral dropping" the transmission, and I don't even know if you can in these cars.

Mine actually doesn't have the paddle shifters
Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 PM  
Lifetime Member

Welcome aboard.

Anything is possible. We share a lot with the 09 Honda Fit.

The engine has a 10.8 to 1 cr, so higher octane gives better performance as is. Keep in mines its a 88 hp 88 tq not counting what the ima system could add under idea conditions.

Ive been told honda knows timing and messing with it would just ruin what performance we have. The peak is at 4200 rpms. I wouldnt mind dropping that myself either.

I think force induction is the best way and maybe a chemical intercooler. Ive tried to buy the super charger kit, its not available.

Its port, not direct.

Cobb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 10:48 PM  

When I was looking for pricing of the supercharger, it looks like you have to call and order it, but I haven't so we shall see. Any Idea on injector size or other ones that we could fit inside? I am guessing its around 200cc if not a little smaller, but I would like to be able to put 350cc in and get it all tuned to 93, but that will have to be figured out later. I got some cheap stuff today to build a rudimentary ram air kit and was wondering if there are any hidden screws holding the intake down or if the vacuum line hooked up is just a blow by/ pcv valve? I didn't see any other lines, but I am going to check more in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in