Oil Filter - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil Filter

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share something. I have always used Purolator Oil Filters on my cars and have been very happy with them. They are the white ones and cost about $3.59 at Walmart. I got to thinking though that the changing of the Honda Oil in the Insight planned at about 20 or 30% of maintenance indicator is a little long. I realized with the extended synthetic oil changes, the conventional filter might not be the best choice. I decided to use the Purolator Synthetic Oil Filter #14610 which is the general number for all the different filter selections that fit the Honda in the Purolator line. The synthetic oil filter costs about 10 buck at PEP boys and has a metal backing inside the media to prevent breakdown.
Just wanted to share this and perhaps get some ideas of the filter you might use and if it's worth stepping up to the higher quality.
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Cool

I typically buy a 6 pack of honda oil filters and use them up. Every now and then Ill buy a oil change deal and get a free oil filter. I usually end up getting a mobile 1 matching filter which claims to have a time release additive in them.

Well, for my sidekick I got a deal and grabbed a standard orange fram filter. Read the fine print and it said on the box to replace it at like 5 thousand miles. I drive it about 3 thousand a year and change it once a year in it, so Im ok, but that warning or suggesting was interesting to read.

A member here posted a lot of info on oil filters and Honda was rated for the highest flow, but like 8th for actual filtering capability.

One thing I do know, filters, blocks and oil pumps have bypass valves. If a filter has too much resistance to flow a valve opens up in the block and unfiltered oil goes to the rest of the engine. Some filters have a bypass valve to prevent it from exploding and others to prevent drain back when the engine is off.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2015, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cobb, my only question with the Honda Filters is who are they made by? They are not made by Honda and I was wondering who made them? I have seen the Honda Filters and they don't look all that substantial.

Surprisingly I found this post at an oil forum which I thought was extremely interesting;

"The latest,{blue can} Honda oil filters are made by Honeywell (Fram), and Filtech. The name of the maker is on the filter can on the ones I have used. Without being too judgmental, I prefer the Filtech. However,Honda wants a handsome price for their filters so I have gone to Purolater Pure One recently. You can find them on sale every few months. Good choice on your motor oil. You can run this out to an OCI of 7500 miles no problem"

So what this is saying is that the Honda filters are made by Fram?? Fram's are the ones that I have never liked and if you do some Youtubes on them you will see why. The media is extremely poor in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah, Im aware Honda does not make their own filters. Now days a lot of the things we own come out of the same factory and are just labeled, painted, etc differently. Frame filters use to explode in the 80s and had their issues.

Ive used a few different filters and can not see any difference. I can tell the oil looks cleaner using NAPA vs the other companies that make 0w20.

Here are a few links to read about filters and am sure there is more elsewhere.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...ar-winner.html

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...synthetic.html

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...endations.html

Old 06-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Food for thought..... I purchased a used 08 VMI wheelchair converted Honda Odyssey van. I did my homework, had the dealer check it and went to car fax plus autocheck. Luckly for the seller and hopefully the buyer (me) it was serviced regularity at the honda dealer. Like clockwork every 7 thousand miles plus or minus a few hundred it was brought in for at least an oil change if not other maintenance.

I ran my insights vin and the outcome was rather slim since I do most of my own maintenance. Ive pretty well decided to have the vans oil changed at the dealer as its about the same price as doing it yourself, plus it continues the cookie trail of regular service if I resell it.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cobb,

I have always kept a log book of any work I have done on my Hondas. I never had one problem with Honda dealing with an extended warranty issue and my own maintenance.

Also I think there is a huge price difference for a Synthetic (Mobil 1) oil change you do yourself and one the dealer does. I can do a synthetic oil change for about 33 bucks with Mobil 1. I am pretty sure the dealer would charge at least 3 times that amount for the same services.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Well, its a moot point for the gen 2 as its got such a low resell value. I dont know if the other hondas have the shielding around the engine, but my odyssey does not and it only needs 5w20 too.

I am not sure the log book would help with a dealer trade. The dealer told me the van was well serviced, but they were unwilling to let me see the service history. When I took the van to the honda dealer they too were unwilling to show me the service history citing privacy laws. They did however look to see if any recalls were needed and service required that was not performed. I managed to get the service history through auto check and car fax.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Cobb,
Never had the experience of not getting a decent resale for any Honda. They just are good vehicles. When my son bought his 2011 Civic, be traded his 99 Civic in with 110,000 miles and Honda still gave him $6000 for the trade in. I did all the servicing of the vehicle and when I brought the service log book in, they immediately were interested. As a matter of fact, one of the salesmen bought the car from the dealer as a second car.
I hold on to my cars a long time so I am not looking to sell the Insight. Heck I just got it. I think as the Insight becomes less available the resale on the car will be decent. After all, it is a Honda.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

When Ive traded fairly new vehicles in I lost 4 grand from purchase price vs trade in value. Of course the dealer did most of the work including oil changes as I was too busy working 2 jobs to do it myself.

Civics also hold their value. I use to browse the lot before buying one and found 2-3 year old ones with 30 thousand miles had the same sticker price as a brand new one on the same lot.

So, any decision to change oil filter brand?

Old 06-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am going to go with the Purolator Synthetic filter previously described. It got great reviews and I was able to get it at PEP Boys with no problem. The cost was just over 10 bucks. If I was to go with another, the Mobil 1 is close and then the Bosch Extended filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in