Running Wire into Engine Compartment - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Running Wire into Engine Compartment

Hi Guys,

Finally getting into mounting my Ham Radio into the Insight.

I would like to run a 12 AWG wire Red/Black combo into the engine compartment to attach directly to the battery. I will be using in-line fuse holders once inside the engine compartment.

The problem is that I am not seeing any unused grommets to run a wire through? Any ideas?

I did a search and did not find anything but I might have missed a prior post.

Thanks all!
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

edit: woops, posted gen1 info
fwiw: The heater cable grommet at firewall above pedals was used in earlier gen1 cars for rostra harness install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\_(ツ)_/
\ /
/\
[/SIZE]

Last edited by AbCaRed00; 07-26-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: gen1 info
AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks ABCA. I see the existing grommets with harness going through them. I am trying to stay away from active systems only because I don't want the risk of piercing an essential wire. I am hoping some of the other guys weigh in on this. I think Cobb has done some aftermarket stuff.
There was an unused grommet on my CRV and I was hoping the same for the Insight but it is so tight in that little engine compartment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I went behind the fender to the bat and the wire crosses the door gasket to the inside.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cobb, got you on going behind the fender as I was looking there but the rest I lost you on. Did you by chance take a picture of it anywhere here on the forum?

Specifically where you say "to the bat and the wire crosses the door gasket to the inside" is confusing me?

Thanks for the help
Old 07-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think the high wattage bass guys who wire up Hondas for mucho power from the engine bay run to a body plug under the drivers seat to the engine compartment. The other option is to make a hole and use a pcv o ring to seal it or run across the door gasket.

What I did was run under the fender and crossed the door gasket to the inside. I did this for a 4 gauge wire for the amp I had in the rear and for the trigger wire to the relay kit for my fog lamps.

When I connect my seat heaters I need to redo this. I plan to go to a rear mounted starter battery and connect through the ima box to the 12 volt line and remove the 4 gauge wire I used previously.

I think next Ill just drill a hole in the firewall and tap the battery.

If your ham radio uses low power you could piggy back or tap a fuse. Just make sure it does not exceed the whole circuit. Hell, use the accessory plug.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Cobb, I was actually looking at the accessory plug as I have a small VHF/UHF radio that only does 10 watts.
I have always hooked up directly to the battery in prior installations and fused all connections. I will do the accessory option only after I truly exhaust getting the wires into the driver compartment from the engine compartment. I will keep looking. Thanks for the great ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in