Can I use vacuum pump to change oil? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Can I use vacuum pump to change oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Don't know. I bought my 2010 ES (UK model ( at 22,500 miles and 1.5 years old.

Since it's had whatever synthetic 0w20 the dealer put in for the first oil change and then 3 lots of Honda Green Oil. Hasn't used any oil between changes so far. It's now coming up for 61,000 miles.
Hi,as an insight owner,2010,just wondering if I can use my sealey vacum pump to change oil,,is it safe?appreciate any helpful advice,thank you.
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Is this normally use for changing oil? I guess it sok as long as the engine is not running. When you undo the drain bolt you get out any small particles in the pan or even sludge, etc.

I believe on the gen 1 the oil dip stick runs into the timing chain and if you insert a hose down there to suck the oil out it can get entangled.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Is this normally use for changing oil? I guess it sok as long as the engine is not running. When you undo the drain bolt you get out any small particles in the pan or even sludge, etc.

I believe on the gen 1 the oil dip stick runs into the timing chain and if you insert a hose down there to suck the oil out it can get entangled.
When I first got my car it had 4 qts of oil in it. I managed to get a thin plastic tube into the dip stick tube and drain the car down to the full mark.

I did have to rotate the tube back and forth while inserting it in the tube but it seemed to hit the bottom. I tapered the end of the plastic tube to help guide it past whatever was in the way.

The tube has to be very thin to fit in the G1 dip stick tube and it took several hours to siphon the oil down. An oil change suction pump could do the job much faster.

A local G1 owner bought a Harbor Freight suction oil pump thing and changed his oil that way. I don't know how much oil he actually was able to get out of the engine. I would guess he would have mentioned something it it took a noticeable amount less than normal though.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 04:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrowdy01 View Post
When I first got my car it had 4 qts of oil in it. I managed to get a thin plastic tube into the dip stick tube and drain the car down to the full mark.

I did have to rotate the tube back and forth while inserting it in the tube but it seemed to hit the bottom. I tapered the end of the plastic tube to help guide it past whatever was in the way.

The tube has to be very thin to fit in the G1 dip stick tube and it took several hours to siphon the oil down. An oil change suction pump could do the job much faster.

A local G1 owner bought a Harbor Freight suction oil pump thing and changed his oil that way. I don't know how much oil he actually was able to get out of the engine. I would guess he would have mentioned something it it took a noticeable amount less than normal though.
Thanks Cobb,I've used it for my last 3 cars,tube inserts through the dipstick,but not all the way down,works like siphoning a tank,was going to use it every 2nd service,when I change the filter also,,as a newbie to Honda insight, wasn't sure ,as obviously the aluminium engine block isn't as robust as a normal one,so I was double checking from you good folks here,to see if its OK to use,again,thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've heard of people using those, but if you don't get down to the lowest part of the oil pan, you're probably going to leave some sludge in there.

I always warm up the oil by running the engine or change it after I get back from a drive somewhere. Can't be too hot or you get burned, but by having the oil really warm, it tends to allow more of the suspended bits to be carried out of the oil drain plug. The more of the contaminants you can get out, the cleaner the new oil will be when you fire it up again.

What's the aspiration tube made from?
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

One does not change the oil very often if you fallow the MID. I really don't get the point.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

+1. Why would you want to substitute a procedure that MIGHT work properly for one that DOES work properly? It's just not that hard to change oil, and it gives you a chance to look around under the car and possibly find something else that needs attention. If it's too much trouble for you to drain the oil, just take it to a shop and pay someone else to do it.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

As I have one,and used it on my last 4 cars ,why not?every 2 nd service I change filter,do instead of jacking car,etc,can just popbthe tube in ,bacum,suck oil out,10 minutes,mo mess,and as I don't have a garage, and here in Ireland, wet weather in winter is a definite, I tend to stay off the ground as much as possible
Old 10-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well, it has the potential to be sub-optimal compared to the standard solution, as it might leave crap in your engine that would otherwise be removed.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Alter drained, I put some new oil in ,run it,drain again,if oil is clear/clean,I know its sludge free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in