Adding Map lights to base model - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Adding Map lights to base model

I have been wanting to add map lights to my 2014 Honda Insight which is a base model. After doing research online I found some threads that helped me jump in and do it. I purchased the parts from my local Honda, obviously for the next model up, everything cost me about $65 and it came out awesome.

This is my first cut and point of no return. I was trying to see if the holes for the screws were there and to my advantage the holes for the map light bolts were there.
initial cut.jpg

once i found the bolt holes on the roof, I went to the hardware store and purchase two M5 bolts but longer so i can mount the map light base on the outside of the headliner and trace it.

I used a utility knife with fresh blades, head liner cuts easily so take your time.

Marked screw holes.jpg
on this picture you can see the holes where the map lights mount to.

back of map light base.jpg
Now comes time to make all the connections. I got this off someone else's thread which was very helpful. you basically need to run two cables from your dome light to your new map lights. The ground is one of the bolts and then the pink wire (middle slot on dome light) is your 12V and the bluish striped wire is the door open triggered ground. you connect them to your map light base using small single wire connectors. it is easier if you twist the middle prong on the three prong located in your map light (where the regular harness would go).
Dome light tapping wires.jpg

I used a wire hanger to fish the wires because there are other barriers in between the dome light and map lights but with patience i got the wires through.

i am unable to upload anymore pictures but the easy part is connecting everything. Hope this helps
Here is finished product, it looks like it came stock from dealership. Aligning it with the original roof holes sure helped in making sure it was positioned right.
Finished.jpg

Picture link with additional pictures.

Honda Map Light Install Story by yocyber23 | Photobucket

Last edited by yocyber; 01-05-2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: adding picture link
yocyber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Interesting. Looking forward to pics of finished product.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

In the first Gen section.

highwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

To add more pictures put them into an online site like flickr, then on your post click on the little earth symbol and copy the link. The picture won't show on this site but the link will take us to the picture.
Daewoo Matiz rear Springs
Fumoto oil drain valve

Add yourself to the Best Mileage Spreadsheet!

gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Awesome, thank you. I know i have a flickr account for when I used to post things on craigslist. i'll check it out. thanks.
yocyber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Great job, looks factory. You're hired!!
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in