Trying to install and rear view camera - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trying to install and rear view camera

Hey so got this cheap little to try out

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016EJ26UM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
it's a rear view mirror clip on dash cam. So far i'm really happy with it. Now it also comes with a rear view cam and wiring. I've figured out how to run the wiring under the top rubber molding to the back now i'm stuck on how to get it neatly hidden through the hatch.

Even more confusing i can't figure out where the harness is for the reverse lights in the back so i can push the red and black wires into the existing harness so the camera will automatically switch when going into reverse.

does anyone have any experience with accessing the back panels and how to open them. specifically where the reverse harness is for the bulb and how to change it hypothetically.

thanks.
maximrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default back up light connection for rear camera

I checked my official Honda 2011 Insight shop manual. Either remove the left or right side panel behind the taillight assembly. Held on by clips, hidden or otherwise. Pull off panel. Behind the panel is a connector. One half of connector goes to taillight other half goes to body wiring. On both left and right side the reverse positive wire (+) is the color Green. You can tap into that with a splice and the camera should work. The black wire is to ground (-).
2011ClearBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ClearBlue View Post
I checked my official Honda 2011 Insight shop manual. Either remove the left or right side panel behind the taillight assembly. Held on by clips, hidden or otherwise. Pull off panel. Behind the panel is a connector. One half of connector goes to taillight other half goes to body wiring. On both left and right side the reverse positive wire (+) is the color Green. You can tap into that with a splice and the camera should work. The black wire is to ground (-).
thanks i did a little more research with the info you gave me and knocked it out in an hour.

didn't even need to cut into the wiring and can preserve the warranty. I just gently slid the wires into the back of the harness where the wires go in and after testing the connection work just taped everything tightly into place against the harness so it won't slide out.

ran everything under the trim and not a wire to be seen. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

How did you physically attach the camera to the back? Can you post a picture? I'm planning on installing a new Pioneer head unit and want to add the rear camera, but don't want to use one where it's attached to the license plate holder.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by admadan View Post
How did you physically attach the camera to the back? Can you post a picture? I'm planning on installing a new Pioneer head unit and want to add the rear camera, but don't want to use one where it's attached to the license plate holder.
Since it's very cold outside right now i just put the camera at the very top of the hatch so i get a full view of both windows with the bar as if you look back from inside the car.

It's not ideal but once it's warmer outside i'll take apart the hatch paneling and pull the wire through to have the camera mounted in the center behind the bar that separates the two windows.

I'll take a picture hopefully tomorrow and show you how it is now.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximrick View Post
Since it's very cold outside right now i just put the camera at the very top of the hatch so i get a full view of both windows with the bar as if you look back from inside the car.

It's not ideal but once it's warmer outside i'll take apart the hatch paneling and pull the wire through to have the camera mounted in the center behind the bar that separates the two windows.

I'll take a picture hopefully tomorrow and show you how it is now.
Hi,

I just started to use this site.
I just want to thank you for the good advices and help provided.
Once I connected the back cam I will take also pictured to show it so it will help as well.
drlatour is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in