Evaluating options before audio system overhaul - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Evaluating options before audio system overhaul

I'm happy I found this forum full of knowledgeable people. I already read many posts but couldn't find the right one for me.

My 2010 (2009 actually) Insight is a stock non-nav EX with 6 speakers. I have a Hertz kit (tweeters and woofers) sitting around, along with a JL sub and a Dragster amp. This equipment was installed in my previous car and is slowly but steadily pushing me to upgrade the Insight. Before I even touch the car I want to know I got the basics traight as unfortunately I got no time or money to loose.

The bit about money is very important, don't midjudge me, I really do have to save every penny I can, if I had the cash I'd gladly spend it.

So... it's question time.
What can I expect if I just replace the front speakers? Will I have some serious improvement?
I know I need a mount kit for the woofers and I found one but haven't found one for the tweeters until now. I also want/need to install my existing crossovers which are part of the kit otherwise it would sound very bad.
Honestly, I'd probably ditch the rear speakers as I highly doubt they can improve my listening experience, I rarely have people on the back seat too and when I do the radio is off so we can talk.

What about the sub? Making the enclosure is no big deal, I can do that. I'm more worried about wire routing. I read that if I put the amp in the trunk I'll be able to connect it with a short wire directly to the DC-DC converter. That's good but I didn't find clear pictures, without them I'm not willing to mess with electricity and expensive car parts. It's just something I won't do based on the "gut feeling" that I got it right.

There's no line out from the stock radio as far as I understand. Replacing it, besides the cost of the unit, requires a number of adapters which don't come for free. Getting the signal from, say, the back speakers will require to run cables to them (advice from someone who's already done it?) and an adapter. I have no idea what to expect from this kind of setup and I don't know any specific brand/model that can perform reasonably well.
Of course having the amp in place would prompt for cables going to the front speakers to get a real advantage out of it and not just pumping some extra bass with the sub.

Thanks for following me through this and for any insight (pun not intended) you may share.
Darknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would either wait until I could afford to buy the adapters and a new head unit and be able to actually use the speakers you own or just replace the two front door speakers with something you do not already own and call it a day. Save the other stuff for your next car or sell it. This is just my opinion, I think of the Insight as an appliance and not something I would lavish a lot of money on. You really have to address the soundproofing in this tin can as well.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2016, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

+1 go sound proofing, but as for your questions,

I ran my battery csble straight from the battery to the amp in the trunk, under the carpet. I only had a factory base model head unit, for about 3 weeks of owning the car, and replaced it with a pawn shop single din and it made a noticeable difference on how good the speakers sounded. I would suggest just doing aftermarket door speakers, different head unit, and a small box for that JL as long as its not too high of a drain. I ran 2 12's at 600w RMS for awhile without problems, but my charging system failed when I didn't have anything in it for subs, and I can't help but wonder if that helped cause it. I would suggest nothing over a 250w draw and maybe 400w with a good capacitor because our charging system isn't crazy strong to the battery, so being safe is a good idea.
insightsport23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in