Use of 0W-30 Oil - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Use of 0W-30 Oil

I was using the recommended 0W-20 Oil in my Insight since I got it in 2014. It is Mobil 1. I recently was speaking with a well known Mechanic here in Central Florida that insists that Honda's specs of 0W-20 are way to light for driving in Florida conditions due to the extreme heat we have here. He insists that at a minimum we should be using 0W-30. I can understand where he is coming from because it does get quite hot here. Roadway asphalt temps can sometimes be 120 degrees. I checked Mobile 1's website and indeed it says for the Insight can use either 0W-20 or 0W-30. I am going to try the 0W-30. My question is will it adversely effect the MPG? I bought the oil so on my next change I guess I will have the answer but wanted to throw this out there for some comments and opinions.

Last edited by Jazzyjeff; 08-20-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm no engineer but -
Engine operating temp is between about 197-207 F. Fan comes on above about 207, to bring it back down.

That's a lot hotter than 120 asphalt. I can't see the oil getting any hotter than normal range due to the climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Doing some more research, this is what I found.

Honda now uses 0-20 oil. Should I keep using their oil or Amsoil 0-30 synthetic oil?

Answer:
Use the 0-W-30 if the car is driven south of the Mason Dixon line. If you use the 0-W-20 at all we would only suggest using it during the winter months only.

Mobil 1 says the following;

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends 4 quarts of a 0W-20 viscosity. A 0W-30 viscosity can also be used. We offer these motor oils to help protect your vehicle. The recommended oil filter is M1-110.

Last edited by Jazzyjeff; 08-20-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The best option is to send your oil to be tested to see if it is breaking down due to excess heat. Since you are using synthetic already, even if at the same weight as non synthetic the oil can withstand harsher conditions.

Another note, as the oil is used its weight fades. It starts to become a 5w15 to just a 10 w oil as the additives are used up and moisture, fuel, etc are picked up.

Although toyota and honda uses or recommend 0w20 in most of their vehicles my versa says to use 5w30 regular oil.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Use of 0W-30 Oil

[deleted by author]
Old 08-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Note sure how to break this to you Bruce, but Honda made 2 batches of the Insight. 2000-2006 and 2010-2014. Both were a miserable failure in regards to sales.

The gen 2 takes 4 qts of oil the gen 1 takes a little more than half that. I believe the gen 1 recommends filter change every other oil change, but most guys change that with the oil.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes - I'm on Tapatalk tonight, did not pay attention to the small faint header telling me which subforum I was on!

As I recall, Gen 1 is spec'd for 2.6 qt. Mine was way overfilled when I bought it. I think many shops don't check the spec, or don't believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Please report back your luck with the 0W-30.

I'm further south of you, but you probably get higher summer temperatures. In the winter, it is much more moderate down here. I don't ever recall having a night in the 40s. You get them plenty in the winter in Central Florida.

So far, I've stuck with the 0W-20, but I do make sure to change the oil and filer religiously. I'm typically replacing it at about 8500 miles when the on board system is consistently telling me it can go to about 10,000. My engine has about 66K on it and runs great. It does not leak a drop of oil.

I'll add that I typically run 89 octane gas - not 87. I notice a definite difference in highway mileage. The cleaner burning 89 over 87 can't hurt either. I've also run REC90 and 93 premium, but they yielded no better performance than did the 89.

Switching to heavier oil when you get to higher mileage has long been a practice. Maybe it is worth a thought with our Insights. Every little bit we do helps, but I am particularly curious to see how your experiment with the heavier oil goes.
Rick330man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've been running 10W-30 in the summer and 5W-20 in the winter in my car. 300K miles. It's got a leak on the cylinder head somewhere that I've chosen not to fix (read, car is a real beater and nearing the end of it's life, not worth the time). If I run 0W oil, it leaks like a sieve. I'm averaging 57-58 mpg. With the Bluetooth dongle/phone app I have now and monitoring LB based on the 2 O2 sensors, I've bumped that up to 62mpg. Keep in mind the beater status of the car too, it's missing ALL the aero shields now and the hood is jacked.

Last edited by morpheus; 08-21-2016 at 10:42 PM.
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Stupid metric system...

0C is 32 F.
0 F is -17C.

Ive seen 0F here in the midatlantic. 100C is 212F

Last edited by Cobb; 08-21-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: link fixing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in