long term storage on 2010 insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default long term storage on 2010 insight

Hi: is there anyway to store my 2010 insight for six months so that battery will not go dead? and no i will not be able to have someone go and start it and drive for 30 mins once a week. i know i can put a trickle charge on the regular battery but that is not my concern. does anyone have any knowledge on storing a insight for 6 months. this will be the only time i will have to store it for that length of time or for any length of time for that matter.
i see that the gentleman who is hosting the 2016 insight gathering has a lot of insights and was wondering how he stores all his?
farckle4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
TRI
Lifetime Member

Quite late with the reply but here it goes: same here, 6 months storage. I've modified my handbuilt gridcharger for the ZE2 so I can gridcharge the IMA battery before the engine gets started the first time after the long storage.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think TRI has the right answer. Apparently, long storage, with the resulting self discharge, does not damage the cells. It is most likely the sudden jolt of the first start which damages some of the cells which have discharged the most. A good grid charge and top level soak for several hours should put you back into good shape. This is also the answer Mike D. gave me once when I asked him.

If you had the HybridRevolt charger, you could schedule periodic charges, say once/week, but I have that charger and I use the other approach

BTW, go to the "User CP" button above and update your profile to include a location, either city or general. You never know when someone who can help is right around the corner.

Last edited by jime; 11-14-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added last para.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
TRI
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
If you had the HybridRevolt charger, you could schedule periodic charges, say once/week, but I have that charger and I use the other approach
I also intended to charge it periodically (every month) but most users here voted against it as it would induce memory effects. There is said to be nothing wrong with letting the pack sit self-discharged for a long time. Just wake it up with a thorough gridcharge and you car is ready.

This is said to be the best way and it might be an answer to why car with low miles and/or infrequent driving it noticed much earlier bad battery.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in