LED Headlights - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default LED Headlights

I am wondering if anyone has replaced their Headlights with LED ones and what the results are? I specifically am looking at the AuxBeam Headlights (www.auxbeam.com). I am looking at the model with no fans in them. They seem to run a lot cooler and use much less current.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

The only LED retrofit bulbs I know of that have beam pattern certification (though in Europe only, not the US) are the Phillips Ultinons:

http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips.../12953bwx2.htm

(They are ECE beam pattern compliant, but the US is a non-signatory, so...)

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system

Last edited by samwichse; 09-25-2016 at 04:29 PM.
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
The only LED retrofit bulbs I know of that have beam pattern certification (though in Europe only, not the US) are the Phillips Ultinons:

H4 Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Bulb | 12953BWX2

(They are ECE beam pattern compliant, but the US is a non-signatory, so...)
Cool to see they're coming out with retrofit bulbs, but holy smokes, that price...
dsteele713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been using these since May.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love them. They do have a fan and are a bit noisy when the engine is off. Beam pattern is nice too. No one has flashed their lights at me, so I'm pretty sure I'm not blinding anyone.

I used to suspect they were negatively affecting my MPG, but I'm not sure if that's even possible or if I'm just driving more aggressively these days.

Edit: I also replaced my brights with Nokya Hyper Yellows purely for aesthetics. I like the way they look in combination with the LEDs on gloomy days. I don't run them at night unless I actually need them.

Double edit: Here's a photo:

Last edited by newscast; 09-27-2016 at 10:52 PM.
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

It almost seems that the LED lights are not ready for "prime time" as they say. I did some further investigation and with all the reviews on the Auxbeam lights on Youtube, nobody addressed the Daytime Running Lights and the error messages on the MID that are possible.

It turns out that you need to install a resistor ballast on the High beams to prevent an error message on the MID and perhaps flickering with the high beam lights in the Daytime running lights mode? This is due to the lower voltage (4-8 volts) that the bulbs are supplied in that mode.

I am looking at the manual now and I only see an error message for the DRL. It does not appear to have an error message for a headlight completely out?

So the question is now, who has this ballast and will it work with any LED bulbs?

I am not going to spend $250 for bulbs, thats a bit much.

Any thoughts?
Jazzyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I found the original halogen low beams were not bright enough; also, as the projector lenses have relatively little stray light, my car was hard to see from aside at night (no running lights in EU spec...!) and had a couple of close calls where other cars intended to drive straight through me...

I went for a cheap CANBUS 2x35W HID kit which puts out over 3 times as much light, which works out well. Beam pattern is good with a sharp cutoff, the 5000K 'white' color looks good, the output is more than adequate.
I have not been flashed once in almost 4 years except for the one time that I accidentally had the high beams on too...

I hardly noticed having the fogs on with the HID low beams, so I put some cheap LEDs in and use them as DRLs.

HIDs are less suited for high beams as they take several seconds to get to normal brightness.

As cheap HID kits are both cheaper and brighter than LED kits I would recommend HIDs for lows rather than LEDs.
I got a CANBUS kit, but apparently non-CANBUS kits work just as well in the Insight; you won't get MID errors. You won't get errors anyway, even when a lamp is out or both.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I bought myself a pair of these "40W 5000LM PHILIPS/CREE LUXEON LED Headlight" back in May. They shipped from Hong Kong. That listing isn't current, but you should be able the same ones with an ebay search.

I'm very happy with them. They're noticeably brighter and less yellow than stock, but they're not really 5000 lumens. Probably closer to 3000 lumens and the beam pattern is the same. I don't know for sure if they're any more annoying to oncoming traffic, but I haven't had anyone signalling me thinking my brights were on. I was planning on maybe modifying their current limiting circuit if they were too bright or if they seemed to get too hot, but neither has been an issue yet.

Edit: just realize I was on the 2nd gen forum. Not sure how relevant my experiences are with those specific bulbs, but I do think LED headlights do have a competitive value compared to HIDs at this point and have their advantages. The quality of any particular bulb or setup can vary a lot.
#1 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2014, got new old engine in 2016
#2 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2015, No A/C, lots of dents, works
Best tank: 69 MPG . . . Recent tank: 64 MPG, June 2016

Last edited by johnnyviri; 10-02-2016 at 01:59 AM.
johnnyviri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Jazzyjeff,

I went for LEDs for my low beams only. The headache of finding LED bulbs that could could operate like tradition bulbs in the Insights DRL/high beam socket didn't seem worth it to me.

I'm really satisfied with my current setup. Great visibility and no error codes.
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

The excellent xenondepot LED headlights mentioned here earlier have a lower priced alternative, also sold by xenondepot. They worked very well for me. http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-Xtreme...xt-led-h11.htm

I had a pair of these, actually a previous version of the item, in my '96 Accord (but in the 9006 design spec, for that car). It pertains here, because the Accord had separate low and high beam bulbs, similar to the Gen 2 Insight. I only installed the LEDs in the low beam housings. They were so good that I never felt the need to spend the money to put LEDs in the high beam housings. When I sold the Accord, I saved the LED "bulbs" and gave them to my son. He's still using them, in his 2004 Accord. Beam pattern was and is excellent - I got flashed once or twice over a year of use. However, I did need to adjust the aim downward some, to put the horizontal cutoff at the correct height.

The version I had was made with two square emitter chips on each side of the "stick". Total four chips per "bulb". These chips were about 1/4" or 5/16" on each side, at least double the width of the chips used in the current version. The newer smaller chips give a more precise beam pattern, because the smaller chips can better approximate the tiny light source location of the original halogens. The chips in xenondepot's current versions of the bulb (high and lower priced), look to be less than 1/8" across. Also, both of their current designs have some shielding built onto the "stick". This approximates the shielding built into the front of most halogen bulbs, preventing light from shooting straight forward. In fact, xenondepot's shielding may be even more effective than what can be built into a halogen bulb.

The version I used, and their current one, use a braided (anodized) copper ribbon heat sink instead of a small fan. It did the job summer and winter, never got hot to the touch, and the "bulbs" still work today. I have more confidence in this than in a miniature cooling fan that can fail without warning.

My Gen 1 Insight uses a single hi/low "bulb". I plan on getting the current version of the LED "bulb" in the link above, in the next week or two.

Last edited by brucepick; 10-14-2016 at 10:53 AM.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
The excellent xenondepot LED headlights mentioned here earlier have a lower priced alternative, also sold by xenondepot. They worked very well for me. H11 LED Headlight Kit | H11 LED Foglight Upgrade

I had a pair of these, actually a previous version of the item, in my '96 Accord (but in the 9006 design spec, for that car). It pertains here, because the Accord had separate low and high beam bulbs, similar to the Gen 2 Insight. I only installed the LEDs in the low beam housings. They were so good that I never felt the need to spend the money to put LEDs in the high beam housings. When I sold the Accord, I saved the LED "bulbs" and gave them to my son. He's still using them, in his 2004 Accord. Beam pattern was and is excellent - I got flashed once or twice over a year of use. However, I did need to adjust the aim downward some, to put the horizontal cutoff at the correct height.

The version I had was made with two square emitter chips on each side of the "stick". Total four chips per "bulb". These chips were about 1/4" or 5/16" on each side, at least double the width of the chips used in the current version. The newer smaller chips give a more precise beam pattern, because the smaller chips can better approximate the tiny light source location of the original halogens. The chips in xenondepot's current versions of the bulb (high and lower priced), look to be less than 1/8" across. Also, both of their current designs have some shielding built onto the "stick". This approximates the shielding built into the front of most halogen bulbs, preventing light from shooting straight forward. In fact, xenondepot's shielding may be even more effective than what can be built into a halogen bulb.

The version I used, and their current one, use a braided (anodized) copper ribbon heat sink instead of a small fan. It did the job summer and winter, never got hot to the touch, and the "bulbs" still work today. I have more confidence in this than in a miniature cooling fan that can fail without warning.

My Gen 1 Insight uses a single hi/low "bulb". I plan on getting the current version of the LED "bulb" in the link above, in the next week or two.
Brucepick,

Did you install the xenondepot LED bulbs in in Gen 1 insight? If yes what is your opinion. I am in need of new headlight bulbs and am considering trying LED's.
PoySippi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in