2nd Gen Dome Light - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2nd Gen Dome Light

My dome light came broken ever since i got my used 2010 Insight this year.

I was wondering if there is a much better and stronger dome light that I can get as a replacement instead of the stock one?

There is this one that I found below for example, what do you guys think, any suggestions?

DORMAN - Trunk Light Bulb - Part Number: 3175W-SMD - Buyautopartsonline.ca | buyautopartsonline.ca
Moota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2016, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I do have LED grids in my dome and cargo bay lights, they flood the car with light which feels quite luxurious.
I dropped something small on the floor the other night; it was hiding in the shade but I could find it without much effort anyway, so much light is there.

This one should fit easily:
T10 BA9S Festoon G4 10W 20x5050SMD 700-800LM 6000-6500K LED White Steering/Reading Lamp (DC 12V) 673594 2016 ? $4.99
I have a slightly bigger one in the dome light, but that was a tight fit.

In the cargo bay I stuck it on the outside of the glass.

That's light, or what? Better not look straight into it

Last edited by RedDevil; 11-08-2016 at 06:08 AM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very nice, thanks so much for sharing.
Do I need to do anything extra or does this clip and it can be easily installed?
Moota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 04:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

No tooling needed, maybe a flat screwdriver to help pry the glass loose but that's it.

Sets like these come with a festoon and a T10 type connector.
The festoon connector has a spring so it fits all sizes.
Mine is pressed quite tight to fit in the Insight's 31 mm connector, but fits nicely nonetheless.

My LED grid is quite large and just fits in the light. It has a self adhesive backing which I kept covered, but the added thickness makes that the plastic glass barely holds.
I could remove the adhesive strip so it would not push the glass in the corners. A smaller grid would fit without a squeeze even with the adhesive strip.

This shows the grid lighting my interior.

There is a 20 Watt outdoor light about a meter away from the car (same as with the boot photo) so you have some indication of the relative strength of the light.

The fun bit is when you parked in an unlit area the dome light floods the area around the car. I avoided soiling my shoes at least once thanks to this

Last edited by RedDevil; 11-09-2016 at 04:19 AM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I bought the iJDMToy replacement for my dome and map lights. They fit perfect and I get tons of comments about how bright the light is. I can't link or add pictures yet but if you go to their site and search Insight, they will come up. I bought mine off Amazon. If you are going to buy multiple items, I would buy just the cheapest and then wait a couple days. They email you a coupon and you can use it to buy everything else.
Ta2dResqr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Bought the led lights shown on here from China,really bright,fantastic
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ha weird timing. Just posted about my new dome lights here:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...ml#post1142858
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

One of the first things I did to my Insight when I bought it last year was replace all the lights, except the headlights, with LEDs bought from eBay. They're dirt cheap and better in every way than incandescents.The only headache I had was replacing the stock flasher. You need an LED compatible flasher and getting the old one out was a bear. Ultimately, I crushed it with a pair of pliers and pulled it out in pieces.
LowCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in