Emissions fail P1565 after warm up - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Emissions fail P1565 after warm up

I know there are various threads that are hit or miss with this code

I am trying to pinpoint if I am getting this code right away or if it has something to do with when the car gets warm.

If i reset codes I get about 20mins of great driving with the IMA and then somewhere in between the emission parts becoming "ready" (monitoring with a ODB connector) and making it to the emissions place I get the dreaded P1565.

Do the sensors involved with the P1565 code take time to fail or if I had a bad sensor would it fail right away after a code reset?

Is there some good pics of the connectors locations to check?

I have replaced all ground straps and grid charged the battery.
turbogizzmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone? No one? I have observed the IMA light will turn off on its own driving around but this code remains.

Again it seems to run the best after a code reset right when you first drive it. After warm up or emissions ready state it gets a bit angry.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Try driving with minimum use of the IMA (After a reset) for a while until the emissions is "ready", see if that makes a difference. It takes about 3 cycles of vehicle operation or around 50 miles of various driving styles for everything to reset.

After a reset, let the engine idle until the IMA battery SOC shows "Full". Don't rev it.
Then drive.
Again, try not to use the IMA function.
(I'm trying to get you past emissions)

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Now that you tried grid charging and the IMA battery still won't work, you are left with two options.

1. Replace the IMA battery.

2. Bypass the IMA battery.

. Warm White or Cool White available!

2000 Insight,
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not sure if you have seen the P1565 post under Problems and Troubleshooting today
Old 03-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
Now that you tried grid charging and the IMA battery still won't work, you are left with two options.

1. Replace the IMA battery.

2. Bypass the IMA battery.
P1565 has nothing to do with the IMA battery. Please pay attention.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
Try driving with minimum use of the IMA (After a reset) for a while until the emissions is "ready", see if that makes a difference. It takes about 3 cycles of vehicle operation or around 50 miles of various driving styles for everything to reset.

After a reset, let the engine idle until the IMA battery SOC shows "Full". Don't rev it.
Then drive.
Again, try not to use the IMA function.
(I'm trying to get you past emissions)

HTH
Willie
Its nearly impossible to do that here in Colorado. I need RPM to get up and down little hills but I did try to do it but got the code again anyway.

After driving around for awhile the P1565 trips the check engine and IMA but pending on stops sometimes the IMA light goes away (engine light remains) and the "boost" returns. Using some of the other threads to locate the sensors I need to check like the recent post with pictures.

I have some contact cleaner on order and the car is going through another grid charge/discharge cycle while I wait for cleaner.

Last edited by turbogizzmo; 03-24-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well chased cables and cleaned connectors and its still very consistent. It happens RIGHT before all the emission equipment goes into the ready state. I am not sure if the IMA system has a similar "warm up" before it starts reporting errors.

Once the car is warmed up and you try to clear the code it comes back almost right away after you drive it.

If you let it sit over night and reset the codes you get about the same 20-30 minutes of great driving with assist right before all the emissions sensors become ready.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...ror-p1565.html
insitegeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insitegeo View Post
Yup Ive crawled all over the forum for all the "easy fixes" but this issue doesnt pop up until the car is warmed up making me fear the worst. I have pulled off the covers to get to the connector listed at the end of that thread and cleaned the connectors, checked voltages and even moved them around while watching the light.

Last edited by turbogizzmo; 04-12-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in