My transmission swap - Page 11 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2019, 03:48 AM   #101 (permalink)
Learner

Do yourself a favor and nut up for some Honda MTF fluid. I've found that Honda transmission's shift better when you use Honda MTF.

As a corollary, I have 2005 Chevy Colorado with a 5 speed manual. When I bought it, it had some generic gear oil in it. It didn't shift very well. The syncros were very stiff and required a lot of force to move between gears. About a year ago I drained that stuff out and re-filled the transmission with the specific fluid that GM specified. It was not cheap, something like $18 a quart and if memory serves, I needed 2.5 quarts.

What a world of difference. The transmission went from being clunky and hard to shift, to a smooth shifting beauty.

The Honda MTF is $14 a quart (on Amazon) and you only need two of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bull Dog; 05-09-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Bull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #102 (permalink)

Couple weeks and I'll report on the difference between the two.

This stuff was $30 of my last $50 between paychecks.

Probably not a horrible idea to run some new stuff for a short time just to knock out the warehouse crud/cobwebs and give her another 1.6qt of fresh honda stuff after a few miles, yeah?

Oh heres (maybe) a better attempt at explaining my horrible grind.

~~EDIT~~
Hmm... https://photos.app.goo.gl/xE3fvX3BbDQmhTkJ6 ... the "img /img" html doesnt look like it likes that so heres just the url. ~~/EDIT~~
^ Does this work? ^ Its my public shared GoogleDrive... ^

Last edited by Dreiseratops; 05-09-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: image link dunt work
Dreiseratops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #103 (permalink)

Saw the picture of the shafts showing the difference.
That link worked.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 436,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreiseratops View Post
Update:
The 03HCH gearbox went in today but is only connected with 4 bolts and the rear mount refuses to align back to the bolt holes.

The way the shift wire came apart was such that I had to modify a washer and pin it with a staple onto the HCH levers.
Are you following the procedure for reinstalling the engine/trans mounts? Also all the 1G mounts should work well with the HCH trans. Same with the shifter cable bracket.

Quote:
Update:
OH! I forgot to snap a picture of my horrible grind job. I was focusing on not hitting the teeth or the outermost tip so much that I got it a tad narrower than it should be up at the spline shoulder.
Looks ok to me, as long as you didn't wear into the surface that comes in contact with the pilot bearing should be fine.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #105 (permalink)

Oky doky so its all together and drives like an entirely different car.
Well not quite. The suspension is still atrocious but she has a normal (perhaps slightly more) small Honda amount of pep.
She seems to like those wide open throttle moments.

Oh theres a procedure for the mounts? heh heh oops. I mean its in and working...
I guess I have more than 1 cleanup task to do tomorrow then.
OH NO! I see now, over in BullDogs post.
Those stud bulges could split the mount the way I have it.
Hmm. I bet youre right. Thats why the rear didnt want to line up. :/ yeesh.

As far as the input shaft, I did stay well away from the bevel at the very tip. Thank you for the reassurance. ALSO... Heres that original gearbox.
(just in case)
(just in case)

:OFF TOPIC:
03 Intrepid front struts look FAIRLY similar to ours. If that jeep "solution" has a matching top mount we might be in business.
:/Off Topic/:

The other item on the cleanup list is, this morning I thought I got the driver side brake shield touching my rotor but on my way home I was on a 30 mph right-hand bend & I heard and felt (in the whole car. not just the wheel or just the pedal) sort of a "thump thump thump thump thump". What does a bad inner CV joint sound like? I had the driver side one overextended three times now and have only ever experienced the outer joints going bad. (93 Integra, 84 CRX, 91 Civic, probably more)
Dreiseratops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #106 (permalink)

So nothing wrong with my 2000 insight trans with 220k on it, but...... secong gear little notchy. I hate 1st gear but that was gas only no ima. With ima working its not as bad. But jump from first to second always requires assist.
Just seing if hch trans swap is worth it for an insight with a lto conversion, current hack, mimac&c , and a turbo.

Does hch trans have better synchros or better design than the insight? Reading through posts on both trans swaps and gears from fit. Can the countershaft and ring gear from hch be put in the insight trans. Making use of the lighter case, hollow shift shafts.

Last edited by slociviccoupe; 05-12-2019 at 02:41 PM.
slociviccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh theres a procedure for the mounts? heh heh oops. I mean its in and working...

The other item on the cleanup list is, this morning I thought I got the driver side brake shield touching my rotor but on my way home I was on a 30 mph right-hand bend & I heard and felt (in the whole car. not just the wheel or just the pedal) sort of a "thump thump thump thump thump". What does a bad inner CV joint sound like? I had the driver side one overextended three times now and have only ever experienced the outer joints going bad. (93 Integra, 84 CRX, 91 Civic, probably more)
More than likely it's the mount shifting causing excessive vibrations to be transmitted to the chassis. I had something similar and thought it was my CV axle, but it was the mounts shifting around.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #108 (permalink)

I would say with a turbo absolutely. You aren't going to be making great boost at 3k rpms which is right around where you fall when you go from deep into the redline in first into second. You'll be quite a bit higher and you'll build way better boost.

The only thing I would say is with the LTO and turbo combined you might want to have the final drive be the Insight if that's possible to keep you in lean burn at higher speeds while you're giving the car continuous small amounts of assist. VTEC will screw with things way earlier if you have the HCH final drive. The 2-3 shift is also way better. For legal driving speeds and shifting at redline the 1-2-3 are way better matched for getting up to speed especially on a 75 or 85mph freeway.
hondarider90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in