Installing the windshield - parts? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Installing the windshield - parts?

I'm getting ready to install my Gen1 windshield and have been looking at the necessary parts (other than the actual rubber caulking and surface prep chemicals). These include:

(from https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...ont-windshield)
  • The windshield (acquired)
  • Rubber molding along the top (73150-S3Y-003) - I have enough to reuse, but probably won't due to its age hardening
  • Black foam rubber strip which surrounds most of the windshield. Not sure if this is to reduce wind noise or hide the rubber caulking or provide a consistent gap between windshield and frame or to keep caulking from oozing onto the interior trim or all of the above. I believe this is called a "Rubber set, front windsheild dam" and is part number 04731-S3Y-000.
  • Rubber seal along the bottom of the windshield, called "Seal, Front Instrument" (77466-S3Y-000) - new one needed
  • Finally, there are two clips on the top, about 1 1/2" long, 1/2" wide, several inches in from each side, which are like hooked fasteners. Similar to heavy duty hooked fasteners you could find at Home Depot ("industrial-strength velcro", not actually hook-and-loop). I suspect these are used during manufacture to keep the windshield from shifting after the bead is laid and the windshield is set. One half attaches to the window sill - and the other half attaches to the glass. Part numbers - "fastener A" (attaches to windshield?) - 91568-SX0-003; "fastener B" (attaches to frame?) - 91569-SZ3-013

Acquisition of the upper and lower seal/molding seems inevitable. I'm interested in substitutes, since this is the recycle-mobile, actually. What might I use for the black foam rubber seal that's inboard of the caulked gasket? I would consider using rubber exercise mat material, but am unsure of its UV stability. And does anyone really install new clips, or do the window people just tape the window in place until the caulking sets?

I could also use some tips for the caulk and surface prep chemicals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ordered all the parts from Majestic (https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...e-insight.html). At a minimum, the stock rubber foam seal will hold up to UV and ensure proper spacing between windshield and frame.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just wanted to comment that the directions in the Service Manual seem helpful. If you don't have manual, download pages 20-26 through 20-28. Watching with interest.
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
Just wanted to comment that the directions in the Service Manual seem helpful. If you don't have manual, download pages 20-26 through 20-28. Watching with interest.
Thank you for the tip! I'm not very clueful today. I spent the last half hour searching the site and PDFs for the pages in question, including the two big files full of PDFs. Would you mind directing me to where I can find the pages in question?

EDIT: found it: out of stock. http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...Y07&itemtype=N

Last edited by *sean*; 06-15-2018 at 09:24 PM.
*sean* is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in