Battery Pack Cooling - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Battery Pack Cooling

I just drove 5 hours and the outside temp never exceeded 70F. When I arrived the Bte (battery pack temp) was reading 90F on my OBDIIC&C. I've got three questions:
- what does it take to monitor when the pack-fan is on/off
- I know air flows from the rear area of the passenger seat into the pack, but where does the air flow to, and how does it get extracted from the battery area?
- what can be done to keep the pack cooler in 70F outside conditions?
Thanks for any help.
minor4326 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

On the top right corner of the OBDIIC&C gauge you'll see an f if the fan is on Low, and an F if it is on High. Mine comes on in the high 90s. It wouldn't run at 90. You can also force it to run all the time with the OBD gauge. Mine runs all summer.

I think it goes out through the vents behind the rear bumper.

Keep the car interior under 70* and limit charge and assist. Block the sun from the rear window. Make a water to air cooling system like Sam12345 had at Madison.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vote republican and you should have better results, ha ha, make sure your fan is running put a piece of paper by the vent behind the passenger seat and see if it sticks to the vent,if it doesn't your fan not running,open up and check,plus use have tape around the fan corners to get better flow on the battery. Good luck my freind,miss seen you at insight fest,waiting for a closer venue than Madison,,,
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

90F is a very good operating temp for NiMH. I'd leave it alone. If you really care, use OBDII to run the fan on high and call it good.

Up to about 120F, NiMH internal resistance (IR) decreases slightly making the chemistry more efficient; however, the higher temperature can damage cells faster or contribute to voltage depression (capacity loss). As you lower the temp, the IR increases slightly, the chemistry is less efficient and more heat is produced. Below 50F high current charging will damage NiMH cells.

As a point of reference, the Ford Escape Hybrid (FEH) attempts to maintain the battery between 90 and 100F. It uses the rear A/C evaporator to air condition the battery to keep it in this range. If it breaks 100F, it nearly disables the entire hybrid system. It's the primary reason the FEH batteries last so long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
On the top right corner of the OBDIIC&C gauge you'll see an f if the fan is on Low, and an F if it is on High. Mine comes on in the high 90s. It wouldn't run at 90. You can also force it to run all the time with the OBD gauge. Mine runs all summer.

I think it goes out through the vents behind the rear bumper.

Keep the car interior under 70* and limit charge and assist. Block the sun from the rear window. Make a water to air cooling system like Sam12345 had at Madison.

Sam
Sam, thanks for your feedback. I'm running Peter's latest code. Maybe Peter can help answer my questions. The only flag I have is a "V" in the far right of position 5 and I don't have a clue what it represents. My "V" is always present, ignition only on and when the car is running, so it doesn't make sense that it represents the VTEC flag. Is the fan-running-monitor a flag that needs setting? How? My battery temp usually runs 100F + on a warm day after several hours running. I did see an "f" at the right of position 7, one time only, but I can't correlate its appearance with anything. How do I determine what flags are set?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Have you read the OBDIIC&C manual in my signature?

A permanent V likely means the car type (in the menus) is not set correctly..

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post

A permanent V likely means the car type (in the menus) is not set correctly..
I reconfirmed the OBDIIC&C was set to the correct configuration - US 1; 1999-2004. So what is the "V"? Is there a flag to monitor the fan operation
Old 09-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

The gauge should show a F when the fan actuates. What version of the OBDIIC&C are you using.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
The gauge should show a F when the fan actuates. What version of the OBDIIC&C are you using.
Thanks Willie for chiming in. I'm using Peter's latest version. I don't get an F at any time, only the V. Do I need to set a flag for the battery cooling fan?
How do I know what flags go in what positions?
Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor4326 View Post
I did see an "f" at the right of position 7, one time only, but I can't correlate its appearance with anything. How do I determine what flags are set?
This was you seeing the fan commanded to the low speed setting.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in