Aftermarket Motor Controller - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aftermarket Motor Controller

Hey guys,

I took apart the Motor Drive Unit today, and what I saw inside was a very normal motor controller coupled with some not very normal things.

It appears there's a current clamp device on every phase. Probably to provide feedback to the motor controller so it can work it's magic.

I'm thinking of the posibility of using an aftermarket motor controller

I'm not so sure about the specifics of what I can or can not use. Can I just build a 96V lithium battery pack, and use a 96V controller?

The insight batt pack is 144V nominal, and the IMA can generate over 300V, am I right?

Do I have to choose a motor controller rated for a battery voltage higher than what the insight IMA motor can produce, i guess, is what I'm asking.
12V battery always charges now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

many good miles & counting
MichaelWoodcock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Boy, this is a huge question. In short, yes, the IGBT driver is a semi-custom Mitsubishi part. The electronic box that plugs into it is a TTL logic to gate drive converter... basically it isolates the computer from the high voltage.

If you're going to use a custom driver, then basically all this stuff goes away... you'll just plug the three thick phase wires into whatever new controller you use. You'll also need to connect to the hall sensors, which plug into the MCM.

And no, there's no off-the-shelf solution for the G1 insight (yet). When the Linsight project is finished (no estimated release date, and certainly not anytime soon), that'll be exactly what you're asking for. Until then, if you want to do it yourself, search for the excel spreadsheet I uploaded (in the Linsight thread), which is a complete reverse-engineered pinout of the entire IMA bay... that'll tell you which wires to connect where.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

You can keep the entire MDM and DC-DC if you want.
I probably would, as it has the hardware, mounting, cooling, isolation,
and is set up to work with a pack from about 100v to 220V at upto 150A.
No point IMHO reinventing the wheel..

Just use a simple 3 phase bldc controller to drive it with
logic levels signals directly from a controller into the MDM inputs...

The 3 phase current sensors, MDM current sensor, and the commutation sensors all feed into the old stock MCM, which you will have removed.

You can use those sensors with your new controller if you want or not as the case may be.
The MDM won't care, it just drives the motor dependant on the signals you feed into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

The hall sensors and trigger disk of the g1 is it a standard pattern or is it some weird pattern.
slociviccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in