LTO Layout #2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default LTO Layout #2

I have a couple of friends who are working on an LTO conversion, so I thought I'd post some layout work I've been doing. This particular layout is for a plywood baseplate that can easily be made up in a day. Mounting of components and wiring will obviously take longer. Major components will need to fastened securely to the baseplate. Atheos used T-Nut fasteners, such as these:

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Tee-nuts-Nu...are/4294546123

to attach his battery packs to his plywood baseplate.

Though I have use pine plywood for this layout, I did a bit of shopping at Lowes when I bought the 2"x2" piece for $5.99. It appears to me that poplar and birch plywood both have tighter grain and are probably better. If I were going to install a plywood base, I think I would invest the few extra dollars.

Below, I show a rough sketch, with accurate dimensions for how the baseplate is to be shaped. The builder will want to pay close attention to any minor trimming or shaping so that the baseplate can fit reasonably easily into the IPU compartment.

As a finishing step, I would apply a couple of coats of good marine varnish, or urethane just in case there is a leak, or for some reason the plywood gets wet. One might also consider marine grade plywood which uses a different glue between plys.

For this configuration, the BCM and MCM are sandwiched together and mounted on edge with the lower tabs passing through a hole to a mounting bracket. Pictures will make that clearer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plywood Baseplate.jpg (93.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by jime; 04-19-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: addition
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Below is the detail of the BCM/MCM mounting bracket, which is constructed with a length of 1X1" aluminum angle. The bracket is extended well forward and well beyond the pass through hole to help strengthen the plywood in the cut-out area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCM and MCM Bracket.jpg (146.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

great information Jim. Do these measurements allow for a flat area or does it have a slope? What about the 18" dimension to accommodate not bending the right side flange of the IPU box
minor4326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Topside Pix of BCM/MCM Mounting

This shows how the BCM/MCM sandwich is positioned on the topside of the plate. Don't start fabricating yet. There is a small problem to resolve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Topside BCM&MCM Mounting.jpg (80.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by jime; 04-18-2019 at 10:49 PM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor4326 View Post
great information Jim. Do these measurements allow for a flat area or does it have a slope? What about the 18" dimension to accommodate not bending the right side flange of the IPU box
The mounting plate will be sloped by some degree. I currently have7/8 inch spacers under the plate which lowers slope to a small amount, but still sloped. As we will see later, some slope is necessary to make the edgewise BCM/MCM sandwich fit under the IPU cover. Still working a clearance problem with the front tabs of the BCM/MCM. It is solvable by several different methods.

The 1" notch in the right side of the plate is necessary to allow installation of the plate without having to bend up the IPU flanges and break the corner spot weld - which I did on my own installation.

Stopping for the tonight. More tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, Jim!

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Your slot for "module sandwich" is in the forward left (driver side) of mount plate ?
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain driver View Post
Your slot for "module sandwich" is in the forward left (driver side) of mount plate ?
Yes, the overall layout will be more obvious as I add more pix.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Overall Layout

This pix is my vision of the overall layout of Layout #2. Just to dispense with one question right away - why not put two packs in front to have better weight distribution in the car?

The problem is with the large battery hookup bundle in the top left of the picture. If two batteries go to front, then the only space for the vertical BCM/MCM sandwich is to the rear. In that position, the wiring within the battery bundle will not reach the BCM/MCM. Extending the wires would be a large effort since there are so many.

I have been running this exact weight distribution in my own car for 4 months now. There may be a very slight difference in handling balance (i.e. overstear/understear), but it is hardly noticeable if at all. In any case, the total weight of the conversion is about 30-35 pounds heavier, so the exact location, within this small area, isn't likely to matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Overall Layout.jpg (155.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Cable Layout

This pix shows how the cables are to be routed for Layout #2. There are several options for which battery to split so that the 6 subpacks are equally split with respect to the junction board switch - which I view as desirable. I have chosen to split the left rear pack lookng forward from the hatch. This arrangement seems to result in relatively equal length cables. I could find no other arrangement which did so.

I have attached temporary tags on the important cables so that their function can be identified. Just as a small convention which I adopted, the low side cables, with respect to the switch, are black. The high side cables are red.

Since my own configuration has the BCM/MCM underneath the plate, they do not show in this pix.

I believe that this is the easiest configuration to build, but the one constraint is that you will be forced to use IMAC&C rather than any MIMA you might own. There just isn't room for the MIMA P&P adapters and the comms cable hard end. Most folks are probably going to want to use IMAC&C anyway and it certainly gets good reviews.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable Layout.jpg (237.7 KB, 38 views)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in