EGR Valve Update - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EGR Valve Update

I took apart a brand new $36 EGR valve intended for an Accord/Odyssey. Inside I found they are using a linear Hall effect sensor and magnet instead of a potentiometer and wiper for the position sensor.

The ohmmeter method of measuring EGR valve sensor position won't work on this kind of valve. I thought I was looking at bad valves until I opened this up. With the potentiometer gone, that point of failure is gone. Perhaps this is an improvement?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1558909066468642266527_1558909102868.jpg (73.0 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sean* View Post
I took apart a brand new $36 EGR valve intended for an Accord/Odyssey. Inside I found they are using a linear Hall effect sensor and magnet instead of a potentiometer and wiper for the position sensor.

The ohmmeter method of measuring EGR valve sensor position won't work on this kind of valve. I thought I was looking at bad valves until I opened this up. With the potentiometer gone, that point of failure is gone. Perhaps this is an improvement?
Maybe, but the proof of the pudding is does it work on an Insight?

Since the Insight sensor is fed a 5 volt voltage the hall sensor may be a typical one that outputs 1 volt to 4 volts which may work OK on the Insight.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrowdy01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by *sean* View Post

Maybe, but the proof of the pudding is does it work on an Insight?

Since the Insight sensor is fed a 5 volt voltage the hall sensor may be a typical one that outputs 1 volt to 4 volts which may work OK on the Insight.
@SSSSSS bought the same valve and reported that it worked and restored a significant amount of MPG. I am putting mine back together and will try it tonight. I need to update my EGR valve tester because I deliberately limited the current to the potentiometer, not knowing there was a version using a Hall effect sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Please update with the exact part number for the valve you bought and your results after testing. Thanks for working on this..

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
Please update with the exact part number for the valve you bought and your results after testing. Thanks for working on this..
The EGR valve is a MOSTPLUS part # M21007. I drove around a couple of times today (about 30 miles per run) was averaging 62 MPG round trip (warm, humid day, watching the MPGs, 55 MPH highway + some 35 MPH surface streets, few lights. (I have reason to believe I have a few more things to tweak to get better mileage). The test i'm familiar with is the normal work commute.

I have not put this on the tester because I need to mod the tester to properly power the linear hall effect sensor inside.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I presume you were getting zero herky jerky?

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
Old 05-28-2019, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Doing a search for Mostplus M21007 I get directed to this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33024427484.html MOSTPLUS EGR Exhaust Gas Valve For Honda Accord 1998-2002 Odyssey Oasis CL 18011PAAA00
but the pictures show made in germany and M21007 is missing, when I view the catched webpage from google I get https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca which does show part number M21007 and a price of $53 and also shows the same picture in the $31 new ad.
The egr valve is also pictured here for $108 pounds https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/mapco-7644962.html

the M21007 is on ebay for $535

Last edited by Foos; 05-28-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
I presume you were getting zero herky jerky?
Is there a good definition of "herky jerky"?

I occasionally get light jerkiness in some regimes, such as lean burn under high load. However, the EGR position voltage suggests that the valve is shut, and it is the LAF sensor current ('04) and injector time which vary quickly (though not much) in that regime.

Unfortunately, OBD2 has such a slow update rate (near that of the jerk frequency) that it prevents correlation of cause (old, laggy LAF?) and possible effect (overshoot of injector amount?)

I have a new injector which would eliminate this as a cause, but I want to make darn sure I don't destroy it by fouling it, so I'll be doing a compression check at the meetup on Saturday. (I think I will be OK).

I am considering building a high frequency data collection harness to log this data in real time along with front-back acceleration data. I have the harness connectors but need some round tuits to get it built.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

@SSSSSS and I got ours from Amazon but it is sold out. I'm not endorsing it, just mentioning where I got it because Peter asked. The valve bound a bit when opening and closing on its side but in the car it will be vertical. I will put it on my tester and make some plots and compare them to @jime 's brand new potentiometer style Honda valve once I update my tester (maybe this weekend).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos View Post
Doing a search for Mostplus M21007 I get directed to this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33024427484.html MOSTPLUS EGR Exhaust Gas Valve For Honda Accord 1998-2002 Odyssey Oasis CL 18011PAAA00
but the pictures show made in germany and M21007 is missing, when I view the catched webpage from google I get https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca which does show part number M21007 and a price of $53 and also shows the same picture in the $31 new ad.
The egr valve is also pictured here for $108 pounds https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/mapco-7644962.html

the M21007 is on ebay for $535
Old 05-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

The lean burn transition with revs around 2000 rpm is a classic zone for jerkiness.

As you rightly point out the EGR gets most of the blame, and it is a weak point with known issues,
but it can also be the LAF (primary O2 sensor) I have changed a few of those with positive results.

The best performance and smoothness of course comes the harmonious interaction of a multitude of parts.
Including having clean egr passages, a good egr, good O2 sensors, clean injectors, good coil packs,
the correct plugs indexed correctly, good fuel and a clean air filter etc etc etc.

If one or more is off it all starts slowly degrading

Your testing is interesting keep at it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in