recommended maintenance at 115,000? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default recommended maintenance at 115,000?

I was going to have the valve adjustment done and the spark plugs changed. My garage tried to change the spark plugs before and said the coils are rusted and may need to be replaced along with the valve cover gasket. The car doesn't leak oil now but I'm worried it might if they replace the gasket, as they put in a remanufactured Gear Heads engine in my Geo Metro before and told me afterwards that they reused certain parts from the old engine even though I asked them to replace everything, and it started leaking oil and had low compression in one cylinder not too long installation. But replacing a valve cover gasket should be pretty simple and not something they'll likely mess up, right? Also, is there anything else I should have done now? I just saw on the forum that the fuel filter doesn't normally need replacing, but should I have the brake, power steering, manual transmission fluid, and radiator fluid changed? I happen to have a little extra money now but won't in the future so want to do anything that would help keep it running longer and better. Also, my front catalytic converter has a hole in it. It passed inspection last year but may not in the future. Does anyone know of a cheap replacement for NYS/California residents? Next, the tires may need replacing soon. I think someone swore on the forum that only one make and model of tire would get you maximum mileage. Is that true, and if so, which ones are they? And I removed the splash guard after getting it caught on a curb and to make it easier to do oil changes. I don't think the mileage dropped, but what have other people's experiences been with removing it (e.g., other side effects)? And can anyone recommend some super bright fog lights, either led or another type? Finally, I think the 12v battery needs replacing. I was gonna go with the Walmart Everstart, since Consumer Reports gave it a good review. Anyone tried it or have another recommendation? Thanks.
newguy2015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
eq1

Just to demonstrate my sadistic IC... dedication, I'm actually going to try to answer your questions... In general, you shouldn't expect normal people to answer questions posed such as you have, embedded in a block of stream-of-consciousness text...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy2015 View Post
....But replacing a valve cover gasket should be pretty simple and not something they'll likely mess up, right?
It's simple and should be done, but who knows if they'll mess up again. I'd be going somewhere else, probably...

Quote:
Also, is there anything else I should have done now? I just saw on the forum that the fuel filter doesn't normally need replacing, but should I have the brake, power steering, manual transmission fluid, and radiator fluid changed?
It depends on when these things were last done. If you don't know or it was a long time ago, then yeah, have these things done. Except for the power steering fluid, you won't need that.

Quote:
Also, my front catalytic converter has a hole in it. It passed inspection last year but may not in the future. Does anyone know of a cheap replacement for NYS/California residents?
You'll have to search for "catalytic" in title to find that answer; there's been a few threads with people asking similar questions and finding replacements...

Quote:
Next, the tires may need replacing soon. I think someone swore on the forum that only one make and model of tire would get you maximum mileage. Is that true, and if so, which ones are they?
Most IC'ers swear by the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92 in 165/65-14 size. It's considered the tire for the Insight.

Quote:
And I removed the splash guard after getting it caught on a curb and to make it easier to do oil changes. I don't think the mileage dropped, but what have other people's experiences been with removing it (e.g., other side effects)?
You might lose an mpg or two and you'll have a dirtier engine without it. Most IC'ers recommend a custom replacement made by one of the IC members - KLR3CYL. Search for a post with his handle and I think he has a link to buy one in his signature. It's a nice, one-piece aluminum panel...

Quote:
And can anyone recommend some super bright fog lights, either led or another type?
Um, I think maybe Ecky, and/or HiSPL might have some aftermarket fog lights. Might want to search for posts by them. HiSPL just posted a thread a couple days ago, with pics, and his car has some custom fog light bar thing on the front...

Quote:
Finally, I think the 12v battery needs replacing. I was gonna go with the Walmart Everstart, since Consumer Reports gave it a good review. Anyone tried it or have another recommendation?
You should be good to go with a Walmart battery. My understanding is that most 12V batteries come from very few manufacturers and are simply re-branded by whatever vendor, so, say, a 'Duralst' will be the same as an 'Everstart', etc. Also, I read that Walmart batteries have high turnover, so when you buy one there you're more likely to get a fresher one than had you bought at some small autoparts store with a slower inventory turnover rate...

Last edited by eq1; Yesterday at 04:56 PM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is the recommendation for the normal service at 120k
Being a technician at a shop I would go with the recommendations of Hondaís service schedule as for the other issues if the cat has a hole itís going to cost you $$$$ and will not pass in CA as for the coils if they are misfiring then replace the ones that are bad if not donít but they do have to come off to do the valve cover gasket sounds like you need to go to another better rated shop too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 01:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your replies, guys. Next time, I'll post questions in bullet points. I got a lot of motivation to get the work done (replacement of all fluids and pollen filter, which I assume is another name for cabin filter). One site at https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-fluid-service does recommend getting the power steering changed every 50 thousand, but it's probably not needed, like you wrote, eg1. I've never had any fluids changed after buying the car with 88,000 miles on it. I did post about the cat before but didn't have any luck finding one for NYS, if I recall. As for the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 in 165/65-14 size, I would like to go with them for the mileage, but they don't get the best reviews at https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...l=Potenza+RE92 or https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revi...e/Potenza+RE92. I usually go with Consumer Reports best rated tires, as they test for dry, wet, and snow braking and handling, so I'll see if any of the top rated ones have low rolling resistance, too. I sent KLR3CYL a private message about the splash guard. That would be so sweet if it fits and is easy to install. I'm afraid I ripped out the metal bar that the original splash guard was attached to but hopefully can make any mods needed. I looked at member HiSPL's new light bar, but when I installed my fog lights, I pointed them outwards to light up the sides of the road to spot deer, so I'll probably search for some new bright ones on Amazon. And thanks for the battery info. and heads up about Walmart's high turnover. Will go with theirs.
Old Today, 03:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

No power steering fluid to change your steering is electrically powered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info!
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Check the valve clearance and adjust if you were going to do the valve cover gasket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight,
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks--it's on the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in