The BCM Replacer Project - Page 37 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #361 (permalink)

And... That's it.
Anything else you'd like to see?
I'd own a Karmann Ghia, but prefer to not freeze in the winter!
Arbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #362 (permalink)

Also...
I finally have the "Long Trip" data parsed into a usable state. I averaged the values over 1-second intervals to smooth things out and give me a more reasonable number of records (6,879).

I'm going to perform the same analysis done on the Three Trip data to see if the same relationships hold.

UPDATE:
Same relationships, softened by the averaging. I see the same "blipping" of values, too: Instants where the Replacer deviates greatly from the Oem. But it's never out-of-whack for more than just a measurement or two.
I'd own a Karmann Ghia, but prefer to not freeze in the winter!

Last edited by Arbus; 04-05-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Arbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 06:20 AM   #363 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default Thanks

Thanks to the help from others and the data analysis I think the adc readings/settings are settled for now.

The soc tracking between the OEM BCM & BCM Replacer is now within the likely error fudge factor with component values and sensor variation etc accounting for minor deviations.

I have some longer trips later this week and will collect some more excel data with the current test code.

I'm now going to be looking at the voltage tap sensing and adding some more averaging/collection manipulation etc to that. This will be done by the actual voltage tap modules, which will maintain a running stable average voltage ready to be sent when polled by the main pic.

I should then be able to start adding the actual soc management code and allow the BCM replacer to start managing the pack on a day to day basis..

I do need to add some fake deviation gadgets as my test battery is so good it hasn't recalibrated for weeks. I'll add a few pots to the tap input wires so that I can induce variable levels of imbalance between taps at the touch of a button.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #364 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Error P Codes and DTC's

I've been searching through the various spare/unknown bytes in the BATTSCI packets to find the error code flags for the dozen or so battery related BCM generated error codes.

P1449, P1568 etc etc Too hot, voltage imbalance etc etc

Well i have found them all, except the strangely absent P1447 (Battery deterioration 77 or 79) one.
Now whether this means it's set by the MCM rather than the BCM is interesting.
I may have just missed it, but I have tested every bit in every byte, or I think I have..
Anyway perhaps the MCM is monitoring recals or useable capacity in some way?

Discovering the bits that need to be set to flag errors means the car can set PCodes/DTC's in the same way as the OEM BCM. So if in the future we wanted an autonomous system (magic black box) without a screen or keypad etc,then it could still communicate errors in the normal way, by turning on the dreaded IMA light etc..

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
Old 04-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #365 (permalink)

Although I’m rather ignorant on the details / scope of your investigation. The idea of a seamless synchronizing BCM replacement would be exactly what I’d hope for from an updated battery / IMA system. I’m not technologically adept - enough to have anything more sophisticated than a plug and play upgrade! Thanks Peter. Glad to read you’re planning on InsightFest!! Take care.

2001 Red Insight M/T (Purchased 2015)
(6,901 original miles)(Sold to “Rudy” 2018 )

2014 Chevy Volt

Last edited by Harborman; 04-14-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Harborman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #366 (permalink)
Administrator

Default P1447 (77) & P1449 (78) Battery Deterioration.

Double checked every flag bit in the BCM to MCM data stream with my Honda Clone tool as well as the OBDIIC&C, but nothing triggers the P1447 battery deterioration code.
So that must be being set by MCM in response to it's observations of the pack on a day to day basis..
A bit strange but i'm not going to waste any more time on that elusive data for now..

However if someone does have a car currently sporting a P1447 [77] or P1449 [78] (Battery deterioration subcode) and can gather serial data from the BATTSCI line then I would like to hear from you.

I've added the external IMA code generation to the BCM Replacer, and this can be globally enabled or disabled if desired.

So for instance an overheating battery module will always generate a BCM Replacer internal error/audible/visual warning,
and if enabled, a BCM/MCM OEM P1449 (72) Type IMA error and subcode with IMA/CEL lights!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:08 AM   #367 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Error checking and glitch rejection.

Improved the HV tap voltage module measuring code, and increased it's speed from 8-32mhz. Gives faster smoother response and comms.

Improved the main pic code and got rid of a lot of superfluous junk and added consecutive error counting to reject erroneous errors and glitches. .

i.e.

If the tap voltage deviation exceeds the permitted limit (200mv in my test code) a flag is set.
If this flag remains set for 5 consecutive measuring cycles then an error is set, and the ima disabled or recal and forced charge initiated depending on the circumstances and pack soc / total voltage etc etc

You can adjust the deviation Mv limit and the number of consecutive errors needed before a response is generated.

Steady progress, off for a bacon sandwich and a test drive now..

Old 04-22-2019, 04:53 AM   #368 (permalink)
Administrator

Default BCM Replacer Video 31

Almost ready for a guinea pig.

New stuff explained. Testing calibration code and soc management.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #369 (permalink)

can't wait! I just took my Insight to Buttonwillow and would be so happy to have more IMA assisst
Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #370 (permalink)
Administrator

Default BCM Replacer Canbus time..

Time for a major headache and physcotic episode...
Sort of joking of course. CAN Can be a nightmare.. LOL

Anyway I have wired up the test bench BCM replacer to my Orion BMS to see if i can get it accepting data from that, for those that have one..

Well it's receiving something from the Orion (that's a start) but it appears to be gobbledygook at the moment..

I did post stuff about this ages ago, and did have the Orion talking to a modified OBDIIC&C gauge so hopefully only a relatively small step upwards needed.

Still tweaking the analog code as well of course.

I think we will have a few possible BCM Replacer modes.

1) Analog only. aka like the OEM BCM with voltage taps and onboard sensing etc etc.
Needs the full BCM replacer A,B & C pcb's

2) Orion2 only. aka it does no analog readings and doesn't need the replacer B or C tap boards fitted at all, and relies for info from the Orion via CAN for all data..

3) The combo! It checks what it gets from the Orion2 with Analog data from it's own sensing modules and software. You get twice as much data and double checking of stuff between them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in