The BCM Replacer Project - Page 43 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2019, 04:14 AM   #421 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Projects View Post
When will you need the deposit?

I'd love to attend Insight Fest, but it's a bit far for me haha.
Yes the thread will be updated, you need to keep an eye on it.

I'm travelling 3790 miles to be there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 03:30 PM   #422 (permalink)

Skimmed through post. Saw in intro to post will retain functionality of oem dash. Does this mean soc will vary with pack voltage and not be fixed by the interceptor? Will the bcm replacer be adjustable with pors and or dip switches for different pack voltages. So its tunable. Ability to use temp sensors in the other type packs to monitor temps, and voltage taps for lithium cells to stop assist or regen based on cell tap voltages.

Not everyone doing same lithium conversions but seem to be lto and a123 the most common. Only mudder using leaf cells far as i know. And i think lifebatt? All these are different voltages and would require some flexibility and adjustability.
slociviccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #423 (permalink)
Administrator

You will need to read it all thoroughly.. It's all in here..

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #424 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Still tweaking..

Bulldog and I are finalising minor revisions in our BCM Replacer 'A board' for the first production run shortly.
These changes just tighten up on a few things we didn't get 100% right with the prototypes and had to fudge in the software.

The Pic18F66K80 watchdog timer has now been activated in case the software locks up..
This is an independent timer running in the background that has to be cleared by the software every second,
if it doesn't get cleared it overflows and reboots the system.

Hopefully this will help if pic locks up and cell protection etc is disabled.

If it does freeze the system will reboot after 1 second. A reboot cancels things like charging etc.
It should be obvious to the driver if it rebooted, as you would see all the normal startup stuff,
and any active commands/functions etc would be terminated.

We are also adding/investigating..

1) A second level current hack option. +10 & +30% IIRC.
2) Adding I'm alive leds to both sides of the board.
3) Capability to drive an external sounder via a breakout board.
4) Tweaking component values to optimise performance.

Software changes include... Loads of tweaks but..

1) Autorecovery after error option.

If an error occurs but then goes away, the system will autorecover (if enabled) and cancel alarms/ima light/codes etc itself without user intervention.
Normally it would alert you and then you have to actively investigate and cancel the alarm.
Of course if the error doesn't go away then it can't autorecover, you have to investigate / take action as necessary.
You can of course mute the audible alarm in that scenario.

2) Still thinking about the IR calculation..

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 06-03-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:23 AM   #425 (permalink)
Administrator

Default An alternative BCM Replacer 'B' PCB.

This alternative BCM Replacer 'B' PCB has space for eight voltage tap modules instead of the standard boards five modules.

This gives the option to monitor upto 16 voltage taps instead of 10.

This will help me with the Hybrid Supercapacitor / Nimh project i'm working on,
and will enable me to easily monitor the extra stick pairs i'm adding to increase the system voltage.

Note... You cannot use the standard OEM Voltage tap plug layout for this special 'B' board.
You have to repin/rewire it, as it was necessary to move the connections to maintain isolation and add the extra wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62594630_471193016984768_4073816505056231424_n.jpg (65.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 06-07-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #426 (permalink)

Finally read all the pages from start to finish and im going to go this route instead of the bcm fooler and interceptor.
I do still have a question though. I want to go from my 72s lto conversion to 84s. I noticed on insight buyers conversion and also speaking to him through messenger that dc dc converter shuts off on him and with regen the pack voltage gets rather high. < yes i know because no bms implemented.

My question is for bcm replacer will it allow me to run 84s lto and it cut regen to keep the pack voltage in specified range and keep dc dc converter happy and not shut off. If so than this is no brainer on choosing this route over the other fooler board methods.
And through reading i think i got the answer to this and think answer is yes but you can program to have soc gauge match the pack instead of a fixed value. Can program regen to cut at certain voltage not to overcharge the pack. And also cut at low voltage.
Can this be done without the orion bms with the a,b, and c boards. Later down road when i can get an orion can the other boards be removed and orion hooked up.

Currently i have 6 packs of 12s. Im asuming i would do my voltage taps there? Also at the pack + and -. Think is my 12s pack voltages are above the voltage input. I think if i read correctly. Could one cell be tapped in each pack to get a good estimate of cell level voltages since the lto cells stay really close to eachother and move together?
slociviccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #427 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Q & a

1) The BCM Interceptor can also control the maximum and minimum pack voltage and cut regen or assist as required. It just needs simple value changes in the software. So if you wanted to keep the voltage below the dc-dc cutoff you can do it using the BCM fooler and BCM Interceptor combo.

2) Yes the BCM Replacer can also do what you ask and cut assist/regen depending on your set max/min voltage values.

3) The soc is more tricky and the OEM soc gauge cannot be driven by the BCM Replacer via the MCM with real-time soc or it will cause the MCM to interfere with assist/regen regulation.
If you want to do that you would have to cut the feed from the MCM to the gauge and replace it with your own signals. The BCM Replacer does not have that hardware capability.
However you will have the accurate soc displayed on the little tv screen anyway.

4) You don't have to have an Orion2 to monitor your Lithium cells, but I strongly recommend you do.
Especially as we have worked hard to interface the BCM Replacer with it.
If you don't bother and burn down the car then
The BCM Replacer mod is strictly at your own risk with signed disclaimer etc etc.

5) The BCM Replacer Nimh voltage detection 'B' board will detect gross variations only, in the order of +/- 100mv or so.
It's designed to pick up Nimh cell dropouts or shorted cells.
It won't pick up very small variations between taps.
If not using an Orion2 you will still need a Lithium cell monitoring and checking regime (automated or manual) to ensure they are balanced.

6) You need to spread the voltage taps evenly between the number of cells you have in your pack.
You need to keep the maximum voltage for each group within the tap module limits.
Each tap module has a range of 0-22V IIRC
You might need the special 16 tap module 'B' board only recently discussed.

I suggest you outline your cell tap spacing/numbers/voltages proposals etc in more detail.

Keep reading all the threads on the various gadgets/projects and previous Lithium conversions to fill in your background knowledge..

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 06-07-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #428 (permalink)
Administrator

Default OK We are ready for your commitment & deposits.

The BCM Replacer V1.0 board designs are now finalised.
The pcbs and parts for the first sets to be built are ready to be ordered.

The people who earlier expressed serious interest please now paypal Bulldog the deposit of $300 asap as detailed in the below post.

Note. The BCM Replacer comes with absolutely no guarantees or warranty whatsoever.
There will be a liability waiver / disclaimer for you to sign and return before your system is posted out to you.

Quote:
Bulldog and I are going to build 12 systems for the beta testers and early adopters.
That will give us a couple of spares for latecomers to the party.

To reserve your BCM Replacer system you will shortly be asked to paypal BullDog $300 deposit
with your full details, postal address and forum user name etc.
The outstanding balance $350 will become payable later some time before delivery..

If the project is cancelled by us your deposit will be refunded in full.

If you change your mind after we have ordered the pcb's it is non refundable.
(Sorry about that but we have to buy the boards and components in advance.)

We will try and have some BCM Replacer systems available in time for InsightFest. (No promises though)
I would strongly recommend prospective buyers attend the event as both Bulldog and I will be there to offer face to face advice.
It would be good to have an initial gathering of the testers to exchange ideas and comments etc etc..
I will be giving a talk or two on the system and other gadgets during the event.
His paypal e-mail is [email protected]

Note. You have to pay any paypal fees, he must receive the full $300.
The outstanding balance will be payable before final delivery of the system.

Please ensure you include with your payment, your full details, name, address, IC username and what boards you want.
If you don't know what boards you need please re-read the thread. (It's part of understanding it all )

There are presently no BCM Replacer instructions or a user manual etc. (Although it is on the todo list)
You will need to have a good understanding of the system design and how it works.
You must watch all the videos posted so far and read this entire thread.
You must have good technical skills and some electronic/electrical knowledge.
Questions about the system will only be answered via these forum threads.
Questions/issues which have been covered before will not be answered.
If it's in the thread, please read it.. We simply won't have the time to post repeat information.

These posts also rehash a few relevant points..

Quote:
Bulldog and I now need some ideas of how many people might actually want to buy one of these, and what configuration you want?

Serious technically capable potential purchasers only please!
This is not a mod for the faint hearted or the technically challenged...
There is no unlimited technical support line!

As we all know early adopters do pay a premium for a new product, this is the same sadly
It's taken hundreds of hours of work and expensive prototypes to get to this point.
Maybe later it might get cheaper if volume increases, but without early adopters it never will..
Currently each board is hand assembled by Bulldog..

If you want one add your name and prefered configuration to this thread from the two options below.

The BCM Replacer Boards

The BCM replacer is currently divided up into 4 pcb's, not all of which are required depending on your chosen setup.

A Board. (Price $250 each) Required in all options.
(The main video, comms, CAN and processing board, with the two low voltage side OEM BCM harness connectors)

B Board. (Price $100 each)
The voltage tap receptacle board with the OEM high voltage BCM harness connector)
Required for those wanting voltage tap modules and pack voltage tap sensing.

C Board. (Price $50 each)
The voltage tap boards. Each board measures two 0-22V taps.
5 boards are required for an OEM 10 tap voltage sensing setup.

D Board. (Price $30 each or $50 with 3d printed case) Required in all options.
The keypad board.

All boards will be supplied built & programmed with the latest firmware.
You will need a pic programmer to flash the firmware as features are added and bugs squashed.
They cost about $25 each and can be supplied from stock.

So the two purchasing options are!

1) A complete setup. 1xA, 1xB, 5xC & 1xD boards with keypad case and pic programmer. $675
Suitable for all systems including Nimh OEM or (Lithium with caveats and/or an Orion2)

2) 1xA & 1xD boards only with keypad case and pic programmer. $325
Suitable for Orion2 Lithium/Can users.

Postage and packing is $25 on top and if paying by paypal you have to pay the fees.

The supplied A-C boards will need to be installed by the user into their old BCM case.
Several pre-wired /crimped pins will need to be added by the user to the OEM connector harness plugs
for the video output, keypad inputs and Orion2 CAN comms if reqd.
You will also need the recommended video screen or rca video compatible equivalent.
You need to be fully capable of soldering, wiring and working with high voltages.

A word about warranties.

There isn't any!! (if you blow a board or your battery you have to buy a new one.)

Purchasers will have to sign a disclaimer indemnifying myself and Bulldog against any possible repercussions or claims.
This is an extensive technical modification undertaken completely at your own risk.
We have worked hard to minimise potential issues but are not experts,
and do not have thousands of testers working 24/7 on the project.

However to be fair to supporters we will refund the full system purchase price at our discretion for the first five buyers
if it is returned to us in good working condition within a year.
That should be long enough for people to decide if they want to stay on board for the ride or jump ship accordingly..

Software and hardware development will likely continue for many months/years to come.
Remember we are doing it for the love of these cars,
and will unlikely be suning ourselves in Hawaii on the limited proceeds.

Quote:
What is the 'Bcm Replacer' and do I need it?

A good question and one that is quite tricky to answer.

Let’s get this out of the way first. If you’re happy with your car, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, and the way the OEM BCM manages the battery pack and reports information etc, then you don't need the BCM Replacer. The OEM BCM does a reasonable job of looking after stock NiMH packs and it has been proven over nearly 20 years now.

The OEM BCM is not ideal though. It's not configurable, and its inner workings are still partly shrouded in mystery. It's limited in its ability to directly deal with larger capacity packs and or higher/lower voltages. Furthermore, its reporting and monitoring capabilities are basic, restricting our access to information about our battery and IMA system condition. In short, it’s a magic black box.

Enter the BCM Replacer

Created by long term Insight owners and enthusiasts RetepSnikrep & BullDog the BCM Replacer is designed to replace the OEM Battery Control Module for the 2000-2006 Honda Insight. It is designed to fit inside OEM BCM case and has the same physical connectors so the OEM harnesses will plug directly in.

Right now, the BCM replacer is in development. However, we will soon be ready with some beta hardware for some enthusiastic early adopters and pioneers.

Why do you need the BCM Replacer?

If you like lots of system information, have some good technical skills, and are considering alternative battery chemistries, higher capacity batteries, higher voltage, more current, more power etc, then the BCM Replacer is for you. It will allow you to run a standard NiMH battery pack or go all out with a custom, high capacity lithium solution.

The BCM Replacer can mimic the functions of the OEM BCM and has extensive reporting and control functionality, including a video screen, audible alarm and keypad etc. It can interface with a commercial Orion2 Lithium BMS, and allow installation and monitoring of larger, higher voltage and capacity Lithium battery packs.

The BCM Replacer can also provide basic tap voltage deviation monitoring for batteries that don't have an independent BMS. It has a number of safety mechanisms, and can compare and check information to report problems promptly to the driver. It also replaces the earlier 'BCM Interceptor' when using Lithium packs and gives much greater functionality.

In short, the 'BCM Replacer' is a bridge or stepping stone between our old NiMH battery technology and the new world of Lithium and beyond. It will us keep our cars on the road and give us greater flexibility in our battery choices. For too long the OEM BCM has kept us shackled to NiMH battery packs. The BCM Replacer removes the monkey on our back and will allow us to more easily explore newer solutions like lithium.

Thank You.

Without the internet and this forum, none of this would have happened, and we would never have heard of each other. In all likelihood we would be limping along individually with our cars and the quirky problems they present.

The project would not have been possible without the help and knowledge of many owners and enthusiasts who have posted on here over the years. Thank you. You know who you are.

If you want to participate or just lurk, that's great. Enjoy the ride.
Please feel free to contribute to the discussions at any time.

RetepSnikrep & BullDog

Thanks again for your interest..

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 06-13-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #429 (permalink)

Exciting times! I just sent my deposit.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #430 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
The people who earlier expressed serious interest please now paypal Bulldog the deposit of $300 asap as detailed in the below post.
Completed.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
  • On-Going Projects: Improved EV-Mode+ More Insight Solar+TEG +v2-Li-IMA
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in