Mini BCM Interceptor - Page 8 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #71 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default 'Mini BCM Interceptor' Source Code.....

The 'Mini BCM Interceptor' has been a useful device to help with Lithium integration over the years, and still has a place for minimal installations.

I have published the source code before on this thread, but I have just tidied it up and added a few more comments.
This should help those who have gone down this route tune it for their particular setup.

The source is thoroughly commented and mainly self explanatory if you are used to programming, especially with BASIC.
I choose the PIC12F683 chip deliberately years ago, as that chip is supported by the 'Pic-Basic Pro compiler' free edition.
Owners can download the compiler software from the link and tinker with it for their own use. (Please post details of what you do and your results experiences!)

ME Labs Online Store: PBP 3.1 Student Edition (Free Download)

The attached source code and hex has one change from earlier versions in that..

It sends a fake 25C battery temperature for maximum IMA performance only when the battery temperature is below 25C. Above that is sends the actual temperature.
This means the MCM and OBDIIC&C etc can see the actual temperature once it gets above your faked level.

This link to my original post in this thread explains the functionality/purpose of the device with schematics etc.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/234713-post1.html

For those now wanting to go down the 'BCM Replacer' route I still have a few (Mini BCM Interceptor & BCM Fooler PCBs) available.
Note the source code formatting is designed for the 'Picbasic-Pro' compiler 'Micro Code Studio' viewer/editor, it will look weird/broken spacing in Notepad..
Attached Files
File Type: zip BCM Interceptor 120719.zip (5.4 KB, 4 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 07-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 12:09 AM   #72 (permalink)

Default 19 or 20 bars only

Since I dont see any reference to this on the thread, I will just ask.
Installed separate switches for pin 1 and 2. Pin 4 is the common on both switches.
Pin 1 and 2 enabled via pin 4... 19 bars assist and regen.
Pin 1 disabled .....20 bars no regen.
Pin 2 disabled .....20 bars no assist.
Pin 1 and 2 disabled .... 20 bars no assist or regen.

Original post mentioned
P1 20 bars regen disabled
P2 0 bars assist disabled forced charge
p1 and p2 4 bars assist and regen disabled

Anyone know if there was a change since original post?
I am sure of the simple wiring.
Lenweise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 01:18 AM   #73 (permalink)
Administrator

The soc bars do not respond instantly..

It can take some time for the bars to drop down from 20 to 0, like a minute or so at least..
and vice versa.

Drive it around and see if they respond.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 01:37 AM   #74 (permalink)

I have only gone for short runs. Other than that, they act correctly.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2019, 02:41 AM   #75 (permalink)
Administrator

Anyone else notice the SOC bars do not respond, but that assist/regen is disabled as expected, when you activate the BCM Interceptor control inputs?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:46 AM   #76 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Slight changes..

I've just updated the source code post a few below this with new code in a zip file.

This has the voltage limit routines included, so you can set program constants for your maximum and minimum pack voltages.
If the pack goes above/below your values then regen/assist is disabled as appropriate. This might help lithium converters.

I also changed the fake temperature constant so you can use 25C as 25C instead of having to use a value offset by 32, i.e. 57 = 25C.

Comments and ideas welcome as usual.
Note these changes are untested as I don't have a BCM Interceptor in my car..

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 07-12-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #77 (permalink)

I ran the car about min in each condition. Results same as before.
Pin 1 and 2 enabled via pin 4... 19 bars assist and regen.
Pin 1 disabled .....20 bars no regen.
Pin 2 disabled .....20 bars no assist.
Pin 1 and 2 disabled .... 20 bars no assist or regen.

Other than the bars incorrect, seems to function ok. Except Pin 2 charges only when braking or decelerating. First post mentions "Forced Charge" Is that what is meant, or forced like during a recal?
I guess I could buy a PIC programmer and check. I plan to do the Brake switch mod and not the Clutch since I can disable via the Pin 1 and 2 switches anyway.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #78 (permalink)
Administrator

I'll have a look at the SOC / bars code. Thanks for the feedback

Old 07-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #79 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenweise View Post
I ran the car about min in each condition.
Perhaps with a longer duration in the state the dash SoC display lag will eventually catch up.

It's been my experience there is sometimes a considerable lag between .. a SoC change (from BCM PoV) .. and when that SoC change is reflected in the dash displayed SoC.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
  • On-Going Projects: Improved EV-Mode+ More Insight Solar+TEG +v2-Li-IMA
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #80 (permalink)

That was a typo. I ran it for 15 minutes in each state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in