Mini BCM Interceptor - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default Mini BCM Interceptor

I thought we better have a dedicated thread for this gizmo. Any questions about it on here please.

To sumarise.

The BCM interceptor intercepts and modifies serial data signals being sent from the BCM to the MCM
on the RS485 BATTSCI line in a G1 Insight.

It's primary function is to eliminate the OEM Gauge/BCM Soc charge issues when using larger battery packs.
It does this by faking 19 bars SOC allowing full vehicle function for an unlimited duration.

It can also be controlled by an external device and can manage over/under voltage and over temperature situations
preventing the car (MCM) from charging or discharging the battery when this would result in damage or danger.

The code is open source and can be modified to provide even more control/functions as users require.

I have been doing some more testing on my recently arrived pcb and have fined tuned one resistor value and made a small change to the interceptor code. Resistors R1 to R5 are now all 1k.

Please use the code/pics/schematic from this post/thread when building the device.

Below some text copied from my earlier post.

The Mini BCM Interceptor can be used by people who don't want the full combined pcb and who have there own BMS/FOOLER/CHARGER CONTROLLER ETC

The blank pcb is about 50x50mm and costs $49 inc P&P Paypal to my usual sig address.

I think it's pretty self explanatory and is controlled by simple logic high low on the J3 Inputs.
It also has a serial data input so could receive commands from another device.

Logic High on the Over V input = Regen disabled and SOC set to 20 bars.
Logic High on the Under V input = Assist disabled and SOC set to 0 bars. (Ima start is disabled) (Forced charge activates)
Logic High on both inputs = (Over temperature) Assist and Regen disabled and SOC set to 4 bars.

Normally both should be pulled low to Gnd by an external circuit or jumper wire as shown in my picture.
Both inputs pulled low results in 19bars Soc and full Assist/Regen functionality.
That's how I use it in both my Lithium cars as currently my BMS does not interact with the BCM Interceptor.

Note. It does interact with the Lifebatt BMS in the Insight Rally car, which had a logic output for Over/Under V or T
and simply activated the Interceptor protection when the BMS signalled a problem.

Components all through hole. Same/similar to ones on OBDIIC&C and BCMGauge parts list etc.
I'll knock up a google parts list spreadsheet shortly.

Wiring.

The 5v power for the Interceptor is sourced from the MCM by splicing into

MCM Connector C Pin 24 Grn/Wht (+5V)
MCM Connector B Pin 25 Red/Yel (Ground)

The BCM Connector A is best used to locate the orange and white BATTSCI wires reqd.

BCM Connector A Pin 7 (White) BATTSCI
BCM Connector A Pin 20 (Orange) BATTSCI

You will need to cut and extend the ends of the wires so they can reach the pcb.
Do not mount the pcb near the high current/voltage orange power cables.
I suggest mount it where I did on top of the MCM or BCM in the gap in the foam packing.

You could install it inside the MCM or BCM by cutting/modifying the appropriate pcb pin connections.

The wires comming from the BCM goto J4
The wires going to the MCM goto J5

Nice and easy 6 wires in all for a basic install.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12f683MiniInterceptor.jpg (56.8 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg MiniBCMInterceptor.jpg (86.4 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg Mini Bcm Interceptor Pcb.jpg (85.5 KB, 171 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 07-11-2019 at 04:01 PM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

The Mini BCM Interceptor code is available in two versions.

1) Battery Temp (Faked) fixed at 25C (I use this for best IMA performance)

2) Battery Temp (Real) as passed from BCM sensors.

Take your pic. Both compilied versions and the source code are in the zip file.

When programming the PIC once the board is installed in the car you must remove the jumper on the pcb or the PIC programmer will try to power the MCM. It can't manage that and programming will fail. I suggest first program pic on bench once pcb is assembled that works fine.

If you just want 19 bars and no interaction with anything else just connect some jumper wire like I did between pins 1,2 & 4 on the I/O
connector.

I would like to thank Art (Aisbell) for his tidying up of my code.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MiniBcmInterceptorCodeV01.zip (8.5 KB, 87 views)

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 10-05-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Parts List

Parts list and links for Mini BCM Interceptor

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...sZHU3cWc#gid=0

Thanks to Samwichse for creating this.

Please ensure you use the software from this thread or the links in the spreadsheet when building this device.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 07-29-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to steveo

I just wanted to mention the connectors for the wires are the wrong size

Either the part # is wrong or somthing

Fyi

Steveo

HUDGE Red 2001 mk1 part out here...
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up. I don't know what the equivalent Jameco part is.

The screw terminal connectors I use in UK on all my pcb's are from the Phoenix contact 2.54mm pitch range.

Browse for Products | Farnell United Kingdom

You should be able to find a US supplier or equivalents.

When you do please edit the google parts list.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I just wanted to mention the connectors for the wires are the wrong size

Either the part # is wrong or somthing

Fyi

Steveo
Shoot, I was trying to keep everything from one shop, but Jameco doesn't have that size. I've updated the terminal blocks in both list with the correct sizes from Digikey (there's a link in the right column).

Sam

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Steveo

I have personally tested both the attached files this morning on the mini BCM interceptor in my project car. They work fine without error.

The checksums when programming are

81E1 for the variable Temp File
E402 for the fixed 27C Temp File

If your numbers don't match those then you have a programming/programmer or setting issue.

There is a slim possibility some change in the Honda BCM programming might cause an issue.
What are the part and software version numbers for your BCM & MCM.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mini Bcm Interceptor 070912.zip (3.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 09-07-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have 2 sets of bcm & mcm

The original mcm & bcm in my car are

Mcm
1K000-PHM-060
7650-601712

Bmc
1K100-PHM-A00
7681-101808

My second set

MCM
1K000-PHM-305
7653-100705

BCM
1K100-PHM-305
7682-100135

I will report back with programming info.

Edit

Just tried both sets of mcm & bcm

Both give the p1648 error

On to check the programming next

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Last edited by steveo; 09-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

A maricle it works

I reprogrammed it with the new LTC1487CN8 chips installed

I have a feeling the originals in the parts pdf dont work

The soc on the obd2c&c gauce shows 75.1% all the time, im displaying strangley 9 bars on the cars soc meter... Should i not be at 19 bars all te time peter?

Thanks for your help once again, your a honda insight battery hacking guru saver lol

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Make sure you have the connections correct on the mini bcm interceptor control connector. You have to short out some pins I forget the details. It's in this thread. I assume you have it set for fixed soc 19 bars (75%) I think you soldered some wires there.

Please try both versions of the software in the file I posted.

Please also try those other comms chips again to see if they do work with this software..

Did you give the oem soc gauge enough time to tick upto 19 bars?

If you wire some switches on the control connections you can test the over temp/over voltage and under voltage protection.

Remember do not use the interceptor or fooler with a single standard nimh pack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in