Remove and replace door lock actuator - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Remove and replace door lock actuator

I replaced the door lock actuators on both the drivers and passengers side, took pictures and wanted to share with those on the forum.

1) Begin with the windows in the up position and then remove the inner door panel. I did not take picture of this process since it has been documented before on the forum

2) Pull back the plastic liner to expose the rear of the door. DSCN0016 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3) Diconnect the lower rod and then remove the white plastic rod cover, this will give you access to the inside of the door where the lock actuator is located.
DSCN0031 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

4) The lock actuator will be blocked by the glass guide, you will need to remove the bolt from the back of the door and then pull the glass guide forward out of the way.
DSCN0018 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSCN0017 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSCN0032 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

5) You now have access to the lock actuator, remove the electrical connectors (2 on driver side and 1 on passenger side), then remove the black cover held on with one screw.
DSCN0019 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

6) Remove the two screws that hold the lock actuator to the door, once they are removed there is a peg on the back side that goes into the actuator link. You'll have to wiggle it around until the peg comes out of the link. Be careful to note how it goes together because you'll have to put that peg back into the link when you install the new one.
DSCN0023 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

7) Here is what it looks like with the lock actuator removed, you are looking at the latching mechanism in this picture.
DSCN0021 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Installation is just reverse order, here are some extra photos:
- Black cover held by one screw on lock actuator DSCN0025 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- Drivers door lock actuator, note it has 2 electrical plugs DSCN0015 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- Passenger door lock actuator, only has 1 electrical plug DSCN0014 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by gilbertguy; 03-15-2013 at 04:21 PM.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I guess I should say why I replaced both lock actuators, the motors were getting weak and especially in hot weather it wouldn't have enough power to completely toggle the locks to the opposite position. After replacing they are very strong and move forcefully to the lock/unlock position without hesitation. I opened up one of them but it is basically just a small DC motor, not worth trying to rebuild it in my opinion.

Last edited by gilbertguy; 03-12-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, I guess there are only 3 of us on the forum that have had issues with the door locks not working? Thought I'd at least get one response after posting how to take the locks out of the doors with pictures. LOL

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...ator-gen1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's a great write up, I'm adding it to the sticky. Just think of how many countless lurking Insighters you could be helping

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Deadpool, great idea on the Sticky Links, I've added your links to my library to make it easier to find common issues. To bad there isn't an easier way to create this "library of threads" than to put it in a thread in the first place?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not following what you mean, but am always open to suggestions for improvement

deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the great writeup gilbertguy. My passenger door lock has been intermittent for quite some time, but hasn't become too much of a pain yet. Nonetheless, I'll be fixing it sometime in the future with the aid of your guide.
__
Neil
orac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hope it helps you, I guess the one thing I failed to mention is start with the window in the up position. Will go edit the original write up now.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Great write up, the picture helped me order a passenger side on eBay $12.00 shipped.
Shoe Box Sub #40 / Eclipse EA3422 Amp / Odyssey PC545
BruceinLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah I am going to have to replace both of mine and the hatch's as well. Do you by chance know the part number? Having issues navigating Honda part's now website to find the part numbers and order them. I think I need the regulator for the drivers side door window to since the window goes up, however it sways out and open the door the white part is broken and been this way since bought it...lame but meh

Last edited by Trinost; 07-22-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Trinost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in