3D Printed Window Switch Fix - Page 10 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbuyer View Post
Just a warning to everyone.

If your switch is failing and becomes limp, your driver side motor is at risk of burning out. This has happened to me and someone else recently. I believe the window switch is easily stuck up and is constantly trying to close when the window switch becomes limp burning out the motor.
My switch has done this and I was concerned about the same happening (it hasn't, yet). Before I saw this thread, I bought a set of switches from a CRX very cheaply, with the intention of swapping the switch mechanism or at least the broken part over.
The CRX switch unit isn't a drop in replacement because it includes two extra switches for the rear windows!

Has anyone tried that before? If it's known not to work then I won't waste time and will do the 3D print option.
kalmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #92 (permalink)

I would say easiest way to fix it is just order the 3d part. It takes over a month to get the part though.

Take out your switch and visually inspect which parts are broke, if its just the light pipe then just replace that, don't bother with the spring detent.

I would be surprised if the CRX switch was easy to convert over to it and use it with the insight. If that works post the results.

Last edited by insightbuyer; 04-08-2019 at 10:53 AM.
insightbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbuyer View Post
I would say easiest way to fix it is just order the 3d part. It takes over a month to get the part though.

Take out your switch and visually inspect which parts are broke, if its just the light pipe then just replace that, don't bother with the spring detent.

I would be surprised if the CRX switch was easy to convert over to it and use it with the insight. If that works post the results.
Thanks. The switch I bought (actually from a CRV I think) was completely different inside, no easy way to transplant any parts. The CRV one is a solid, well built unit with discrete metal switch mechanisms. The Insight one is extremely flimsy and cheap looking by comparison.

Anyway it was the light guide that had split on mine so I just glued it up for now. Good to know the parts are still available, I should order a set for when it breaks again.
kalmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #94 (permalink)

Just another tip, when I pulled my window switch to test it, I stuck volt meter probes in the connector. The probes were big enough to fit and stay held in place by forcing them in.

This caused my passanger side window to stop working, or was working intermittently until it finally failed.

Had to pull the passenger door open and figure out it was the connector, needed to pry back the pins to make a good connection. Everything is OK now, but wasted a lot of time for nothing.

Also be careful with the dash, make sure to watch the videos on how to remove it. I cracked mine initially when I changed out my bad trip button. Then the crack got worse when removing the dash to replace the switch, and finally broke out completely when fixing the passenger window the last time.

The good news is I can't see the crack while driving so I'll just live with it and put the pieces back in place.

This is a very real issue as the dash is so fragile and must be more fragile from age. Make sure to remove the steering column and lay it on the seat, very simple and pry carefully from the bottom. Go to harbor freight and get dash pry trim for less than $10 bucks also. https://www.harborfreight.com/trim-a...-pc-64126.html

Last edited by insightbuyer; Yesterday at 02:14 PM.
insightbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in