Honda Insight Forum banner

The story of my Insight Name INO

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  guy wants to sell insight 
#1 ·
A little background about me. I'm both an automotive mechanic and aircraft mechanic. Before the Insight I use to hypermill my Acura RSX Type S on my commute to work which was kind of a lot of work without much award. The RSX-S is rated 31 mpg hwy and the best I was able to get on a tank of gas is 42.1 mpg.

My insight was brought from AZ and imported into CA. Before the trip back to CA I did an oil change with Mobil 1 in the parking lot of the motel I stay at. The avg mpg was 54.2 mpg. After I got home I changed all the fluids, filters and clean up the engine bay.
After the tune up I achieved 59.4 mph on my commute to work which is not bad compare to my RSX but I want to be better then EPA rating. So something had to be done.
Under the car and there was no under engine plastic at all so I added a home made one. http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/problems-troubleshooting/51937-my-way-not-buy-200-oem-under-body-plastics.html

With the plastic installed I was able to obtain 69 mpg on my commute which is much closer to EPA rating.

Something else has to be done to get better mileage, so i did a clutch and brake switch mod.

With the brake&clutch switch mod and mastering the use of the buttons which took about 1.5 weeks where I pull my best mpg on my commute at 95.8 mpg

See less See more
#2 ·
After this there was nothing else cheap i can do to increase my mpg so I took a look at the IMAC&C system and decided to give it a try.
Installation require extensive removal or panels and cutting into the wiring harness.
here are some picture of the install

#3 · (Edited)

after the IMAC&C was installed I accurately got worse mpg then before!!! I was shock!!!!
IMAC&C is a whole other animal. It require me to develop a different ways of driving and using the detail controls of the system.
After about 2 weeks or so I finally got over 100mpg I was so happy the cost of the IMAC&C paid off.
But it was not until about 3 weeks into it where I obtain the highest mpg on my Commute so far 111.3 mpg, where i learn to use the IMAC&C to my advantage, using different level of assist for for different level of hills and knowing where I can use regen to take advantage of the flat and slightly down hill parts of the road....still looking forward to beat my own record soon.

#4 ·
Amazing! And that is with Yokohama tires? What PSI air in them? Do you use FAS a lot? Anything else about your hypermiling you care to share?

(Also, don't forget to get some gas!)

#5 ·
I have the tires set at 55 psi. Sorry but what is FAS? I don't know if this is consider cheating but I start with a full battery on the beginning of my commute either by driving in a way to charge it up fully or grid charging it.
I keep the car in lean burn mode about 95%. Except for the two small hills I have to climb and a short drive in the city the route is pretty flat. I drive slow too try to keep my mpg above 100. Is a pain to get 111 mpg but good to know that I can when I take it to the extreme. Most of the time driving normal and without prepping the battery for the drive I get 79 to 95 or 62 to 75mpg with the A/C modulation.

#6 · (Edited)
Finally found a good citrus Insight all the way in Canada with only 99,600miles on it
They are both 2000 with A/C
Silver one is #133 and the Citrus one is #153

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.