Controlling the Instrument Cluster's Display - Page 28 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #271 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Dog View Post
I really enjoy reading updates like these. I guess I must have a similar affliction.

Looking forward to the day I can hopefully install at least one of these in my 2005 or my 2006 Insight.
Likewise. Nice to see updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #272 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks for the update! I enjoyed reading it in its entirety. Looking forward to installing one of these in my Insight someday!
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #273 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
... there's some cool stuff you could do if you're willing to solder to a few test pads on the stock instrument cluster PCB. I want to add an optional extra "solder harness" that will have 4-8 connections or so, that you solder down to the cluster PCB ...
These would be signals like the fuel level sense, vehicle speed sensor, engine RPM, injector on-time, and the METSCI line. Some of these signals are available through the OBDII bus, but not to a high precision or speed. ...
Hope my ramblings aren't too boring!
Not at all... Extremely useful!

Is this interface and data documented in another thread? I've been looking for a way to obtain this other than OBDII.
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #274 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sean* View Post
Is this interface and data documented in another thread? I've been looking for a way to obtain this other than OBDII.
By interface, do you mean the speed, RPM, etc. signals inside the cluster?
They're not specifically documented in one single place yet, unfortunately. I want to eventually make a nice post with all that info. But for now, you should be able to find information about all signals the cluster takes. A couple are documented in this thread, the rest are scattered around in various threads. Use the search function to search for the line you're interested in, like MTRTW, METSCI, etc.

Here is the cluster wiring diagram I made for myself, taken out of the service manuals. It has the names of all the signals:
https://i.imgur.com/CsogJBF.png
You can find the manuals here:
https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...df-others.html

If you're interested in a specific signal and you can't find info on it, just ask me and I'll be happy to help.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #275 (permalink)

Awesome. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #276 (permalink)

@Mario

I bought an instrument cluster from a wrecked 2006 yesterday for my experiments. There are some differences between it and the cluster you have.

Of note is that the 5V regulator is a different type and does not have the large attached heat sink. Instead it is using the PCB as the heat sink.

cluster-2006-board.jpg
cluster-2006-detail.jpg
Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #277 (permalink)

<edited after some thought>

Last edited by *sean*; 04-15-2019 at 09:34 AM.
*sean* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in