Worst Tank MPG - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
eq1

Default Worst Tank MPG

I haven't been driving much over the last couple months. I filled-up the other day and registered my worst tank MPG ever - 49.3 per FCD, 48.4 per fill-up calculation... Kind of curious what others' worst tank MPGs look like?.

What's funny is, even 49 mpg is way better than what I used to get in my Miata, for example. I used to be happy when I could eek-out just a bit over 30 mpg on highway trips in that car.

What's interesting is this low tank mpg reflects a few key things:
1) very short trips, like a couple miles, from cold start
2) cold weather (like in the 30s F)
3) low tire pressure

This last one was a real shocker. I kind of thought one of my rear tires looked a bit low, but never got around to checking it. I checked it the other day and it had only 15 psi. The thing is, I actually drove about 120 highway miles on that low tire and still got about 65 mpg... Thought I'd post this, too, as just a heads-up: it's not that easy to tell that the tire pressure is low if it happens from a slow leak, and by just the occasional casual visual inspection. On the other hand, after airing the tire up (and the others, they were a bit low), it's a very noticeable difference...

So, low tank MPG? What's yours?
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Probably when I very first got the car, I think I was getting 45-48 for a few tanks, before I learned how to drive it.

It's funny to me that my expectations of MPG have gone way up - if I get below 50mpg on a trip nowadays, I think "yeesh, that's terrible." But it's still better than most all other cars, 50mpg is actually quite a lot!

If I get below 40mpg I know something's wrong with the car. That's how good the Insight is.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I've never gotten below 40 MPG (2002 CVT with over 200,000 miles,) but I can remember a time when I had never gotten below 50 MPG! Of course the first few years were the best, hovering around 60 MPG's, but that was when I drove in the sweet MPH range all the time (45-55 MPH.) Lately, the 45-50 MPG mark seems to elude me.
litz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

40.08 MPG over a tank of gas as measured by pump/odometer.

It was 100% highway miles, freezing temperature, trying to go fast, loaded down with about 200lbs of stuff, and I had a damaged aero panel on the bottom of the car for half the tank. (I stopped and fixed it about 330 km into the tank, but I suspect it was damaged before I was on this tank.)

My best for comparison was 78.34 mpg.

Also, 40.08 still blows my old car out of the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Natalya; 01-12-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
eq1

Yeah, that's part of the feeling that compelled me to start a thread: my worst tank mpg, under truly awful conditions, is still better than like 99% of the cars on the road, probably under the best conditions...

For comparison, I've averaged about 65 mpg since I got the car about 5 years ago...

Last edited by eq1; 01-12-2017 at 04:25 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

61.77 mpg is my lowest on Y2K (Silver).
88.1 is my best tank.

I have a new-to-me Red Insight, but I'm still working on some issues. Brakes are dragging, tires are wrong size, bumper sensor is missing. Once I get these taken care of I'll start logging MPGs on fuelly. Currently it has been running mid to upper 50's per tank.
2000 Insight 5 spd, A/C, Silver #0486 "Y2k"..RE92s/55psi..WAI..IMA fan-always-on mod..Calpod..Regen PB..BumbleBee BeeMax..Natalya's EFAS
2000 Insight 5 spd, A/C, Red #2685 "Lil' Red"..RE92s/50psi..WAI..otherwise stock
2000 Insight 5 spd, A/C, Citrus #3167 "Firefly"..RE92s/50psi..WAI..otherwise stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

skleasia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

I don't think I have gotten under 50 in over 2 years now. October 2014 I fueled up for 48mpg. Since then, my worst tank was 52, and I idled for 6 hours at work that tank per my notes.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

gotten close but never below 50mpg, even with the air conditioner on, doing a lot of city driving with a failing IMA and no autostop.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

49.6mpg, my wife was driving the entire tank in stop and go traffic during a scorching Tallahassee summer, so the A/C was set to "auto".
Ecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

58.5 mpg for a tank, on a road trip with constant wind. Tumbleweeds were airborne across 4 lanes plus the median, and it was a fight to keep the car in one lane with frequent gusts of about 50 mph/43 knots. After tiring of fighting the wind for several hours, I pulled off the road next to a gas station for a nap and the wind rocked the car the rest of the night.
Silver 2006 MT #531, 202K miles : Genesis One GCO1 Charger, OBDIIC&C, MIMA 070 PnP, GAZ rear shocks, KLR3CYL rear springs and belly pan
Silver 2005 MT #107, 187K miles : OBDIIC&C, KLR3CYL belly pan. Still fixing small things.
Silver 2001 MT #683, 256K miles : Beater/test bed. Might sell it later.
davenm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in