Tire sizes - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tire sizes

Hello Insighters, anybody out there having hard time with proper tire sizes? I have 175/65/14. Totally wrong size, and come to find out very hard to get unless you know what your doing have experience or know your resources. If I try real hard on flats, I got 58mpg, but on average around 49mpg, to me this is Bad, I have regular car Suzuki Swift that's gets this mpg and it's only gas. With my Insight I tried original spare tire in which I have 2, I put them on front and drove car, it had great power with the spare tires on front and fuel mileage went up to 68mpg, so what are your experiences Insighters? I got a resource to get 165/55/14, what do you guys think if I were to put this size on my car? Thanks for any input!
Laredo89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

To summarize the responses below this one:

For gas mileage, get Bridgestone Potenza re92s in 165/65 r14 only.

That's it, it's that simple.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

+1. This is the only tire for the Insight. Do some searches. Costco has a rebate on them right now.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Tire Rack almost always has RE92's for sale.

And yes, getting oversized and/or non-LRR tires for your car will ruin your fuel economy. Your speedometer and odometer will also be wrong.
Ecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
To summarize the responses below this one:

For gas mileage, get Bridgestone Potenza re92s in 165/65 r14 only.

That's it, it's that simple.

YEP!

I'm a believer.

"Teacher's Pet" Sold the fellow IC member:, 2004 Silver, AC, CVT, Rear Speakers
38k miles when purchased

"Kermit" Sold the fellow IC member:2000 Citrus 5-speed MT, AC, 173k miles when purchased
Bazzetta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

++ & + on the Bridgestone Potenza RE-92. I get mine from tire rack. The fuel savings covers the extra price. Worth every penny.

btw: your oem spare is 'aired up' compared to a standard tire. Another piece of the mpg puzzle.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Me six! (RE92)

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes - RE92s for non-winter weather.
I like them at 50 psi.

I had to do the tire size dance when selecting winter tires because I couldn't find any I liked in the correct size.

I ended up with Hakkapeliitta R2 in 155/65-14.
That makes them 10 mm narrower, and 0.5 inch smaller diameter, than stock. They say narrower is good for snow tires and I suspect that's true.
I'm very happy with them.

I did the calculation to correct the odometer's distance readings, so I could still accurately track mpg here: MPG log for my Insight. You can see I got pretty decent mpg through the snow tire season.

I think Tire Rack has (had?) winter tires in 165/65-14 but I didn't like them - not LRR, and not particularly good traction either. These Finnish Nokians were good to me.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think 165/55/R14 is an ok size to try. Your speedometer/odometer will read -5.8% from stock and your ride height will lower by 0.65".

The RE92s do get really good gas mileage, but they're not cheap, don't handle well dry or wet, and, at least for me, wear too quick.

155/65/R14s are a little closer to the stock height and any cheap tire will still handle better even if it's a 155 width. I found some 165/60/R14s once, but don't see them available anymore. Most people's impression of the "huge" MPG difference from leaving the RE92 is based on tires in the most common size swapped out at tire shops, 175/65/R14 which is always wider, taller, and more heavy. If you keep the setup the same weight and slightly smaller, you don't have to run RE92s. This isn't that easy though since it is a pretty light tire.

My favorite size as a compromise for everything so far 165/70/R13s on VX rims. I'm currently running some old discontinued Sumitomos that I really like in that size and I bought a set of Achilles 122 that I haven't mounted yet for when they wear out.

Insightful2 was PM'ing me a while back just to discuss tire options. He ended up getting some Federal Formoza FD2 in a 155/65/R14. I'm going to quote his initial impressions,... hopefully he won't mind.

Insightful2:
"So I've driven a couple hundred miles on the tires at this point. The handling is much improved even with the narrower tire, but the road noise isn't that much better in my opinion. Braking and grip is a lot better too. I wish I might have had these with my first Insight accident. They might have stopped me sooner than the worn Potenzas did. Since putting them on, I've driven in some pretty heavy winds and rain. So I can't tell for sure what my mpg loss is, but as of right now I've taken a 4-5 mpg hit. But I think once conditions become favorable again, it will be around 2-3 mpg. I hope all of this info helps."
#1 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2014, got new old engine in 2016
#2 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2015, No A/C, lots of dents, works
Best tank: 69 MPG . . . Recent tank: 64 MPG, June 2016
johnnyviri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey everybody, I finally got Potensa Re92 , wow $400 otd. And wow as soon as I took off out the driveway, it was like Night and day difference. I felt power increase ima battery charged better and stays almost full charge, lifetime MPG is slowly going up from 46mpg to 51mpg and climbing. I will see what happens my goal is to reach at least 68mpg. Car came with 175/65/14 when I purchased it. I had to order re92 tires , yep why put wrong size tires on an Insight , I don't get it. For my thoughts you may just as well buy a regular gas car. It's so crazy
Laredo89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in