Just got to know - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2018, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just got to know

I have had a car for 10 months yes I'm in my infancy compared to the top guys on here. I use the heated air intake for better mileage even at 86 it pays to keep it on 10 miles to the gallon bonus in late May. I went to Lowe's and bought 12 feet long piece of tuftex clear poly carbonate skylight material for a barn. It goes from front bumper to back bumper drilled several holes and zip tied to bottom of car for the under tray. It works perfect don't know how efficient it is. Tires Bridgestone 92's psi 90 pounds yes 90 pounds I have aired up the tires 5 pounds a month more slowly taking chances. Just like Some members did 10 years ago. I'm getting 150 miles per gallon to work highway only. City traffic 70 to 87 miles per gallon . Got The yellow spare wheels 4in all guess what.? Not as efficient as 92's air them up to 90 pounds pressure before they equal performance of Potenza's. Only had the donuts on2 back positions. Going to put RE 92 on the yellow rIms soon. Not impressed with them so far at 60 pounds pressure 2 in the back of car it was like dragging a anvil. My next project will be taking out rear hatch 90 pounds weight replacing with 48 inch wide tuftex 8 feet long yes I'm going to have a see-through boat tail and I think it will look good and perform. I can get away with this I live in a small county little traffic mostly farming. I have friends that if I have a tire blow out they'll come help. Also took out rider seat noticed no improvement on mileage. Will also be taking out 70 pound battery with IMA bypass thanks to John and Harry. I have only copied other members progress except for one thing i'll save that for later. My thought is the best way to get better mileage air up the tires. It should be illegal that the people of America can't by car tires with a PSI of 100 or more. To me 44 pounds pressure is running on a flat. I drive semi trucks 120 pound pressure tires . If you take the weight of a semi truck and how much fuel it burns it's the most efficient vehicle on US Highway's. Anyway I was reading about the 505 ECUs from Firefox – diamond Larry – and Jeff from 10 years ago that's what motivated me to take these changes. My hobby is the Honda insight I love the smell of aluminum early in the morning thank all you guys who have made this website available to ordinary people like me. You may have noticed i'm not an electrical engineer or computer genius but the simple stuff pays off too.
NathanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Put RE92s on the spare yellows. They will do better than the spares, but they get diminishing returns after 60 PSI, a guy on ecomodder.com tested them.

You can probably block the lower grill as long as you have a ScanGauge II or OBDIIC&C to read the engine temperature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2018, 02:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

NathanC: please include your location in your profile, as almost all G1 Insighters have done.
Large truck tires are a different construction and ply than most automobile tires so you can run extra high pressure.

Thank you
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Willie Williford; 05-24-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 02:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes I have a grill block upper and lower. When you're burning less than a ounce of gas to the mile not a lot of heat. I have studied all the top guys on here I have even taken off the muffler no improvement on mileage but 8 less pounds. I still haven't mentioned my improvement it's probably been done before. Find a flexible sponge or plastic sponge shipping material . Place it under the gas pedal needs to be slightly larger than gas pedal. Thickness should fit tight between gas pedal and floor. Why in my case when I push down the pedal stays in position without thought easy to stay in lean burn. When I push the pedal very hard top speed 60 mile an hour . Took me three days to get used to it now I don't notice it. It works for me it's a low-tech throttle position sensor how efficient hard to say but I easily stay in lean burn . I have read where people have foot pain trying to stay in leanburn this takes out all The guesswork if you know how to stay in leanburn this makes it 10 times easier . Try it cost less than a dollar.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

West Tennessee and I live in a good location for great mileage. If I live 10 miles further north terrible hills much less than 150 to the gallon . I have also removed passenger door mirror for better aerodynamics. On YouTube look up first Japanese advertisement of 2000 Honda insight. It shows wind tunnel test on the car when the smoke hits the mirror you'll see why I took it off. Other members have also removed theirs .
Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Hi NathanC,

I appreciate your post! Have any pictures?

I've replaced my driver and passenger mirrors with cameras, which is something you might consider. Parts are mostly from eBay and very inexpensive.

My guess is that you'll find you lose economy overall with the IMA battery removed; I've found weight reduction has very little improvement when compared with aero changes and reduced rolling resistance. Auto-stop can be modified to work at higher speeds (shut off engine when rolling downhill), and it's a huge fuel saver in the city. Additionally, any time the extra acceleration helps keep revs down, it's a net win.

You're also likely to lose a lot of fuel economy if you replace the curved hatch glass with a flat sheet - the slop of flat glass will be too steep and cause flow separation, which would defeat the purpose of extending the car with a boat tail. If you replace the glass, use something with a compound curve.

Have you yet removed your antenna base and rear winder washer fluid nozzle?

Would you be willing to post some pictures of your underbody modifications?
Old 05-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've only had a smart phone for year and no neighbors. I have friends that will help me take pictures and post them. I do intend to keep the curvature of the backglass using a yardstick and have it copy the dimensions of the removed hatchback. Also Toyota prime Prius has a cleavage back hatch I will experiment with to copy its dimensions. Prius prime hatch cost $3100 my replacement will be less than $80 plus it's a boat tail. Another detail to get 50 inch wide tuftex make friends with a green house owner they have a business license to purchase wide sheets of poly carbonate Discovered wide wide sheets of poly carbonate on YouTube look up Lock building supplies somewhere in Oregon. The sheets are made in Pennsylvania. The corrugated ridges give the plastic strength. I'm open for suggestions everything I do is copy the greats on here. I do have a little farmers know how and aware of many different products that will laid aid the cars performance. Did I mention I love the smell of aluminum in the morning?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Have not removed antenna but I have been reading about you for several months Ecky. I have learned to do one mod at a time to see what the results are. Three or four at a time no idea what does what. Oil change took my car three days to get mileage back from fresh oil change. Like new tires take 200 miles before they help your mileage . I learned that from Jim and dog bite. My car will pay for itself in one year time on fuel savings from driving a diesel Ford truck. I've used two tanks of diesel in last 10 months since getting car. I've also learned put trailer tires on the truck they are not as wide taller and weigh less than mud grips they give me 4 miles to the gallon improvement on truck. In my opinion the insight is the canary in the coal mine it's affected by aerodynamics low tires rain storms headwinds tailwinds Good gas bad gas 10 times more than ordinary vehicles if it helps the insight a lot it will help the average car some. The ECUs having leanburn should be incorporated into the American fleet. But guess what they love to sell oil by a factor of four times more than they should that's four times more tax than you think your paying. I still want 120 pounds PSI tires for a 14 inch wheel for great mileage lean burn for my car and there should be a attractive boat tail business to add on the back of cars when they're older you know after you get The girl.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Hi NathanC,

I appreciate your post! Have any pictures?

I've replaced my driver and passenger mirrors with cameras, which is something you might consider. Parts are mostly from eBay and very inexpensive.

My guess is that you'll find you lose economy overall with the IMA battery removed; I've found weight reduction has very little improvement when compared with aero changes and reduced rolling resistance. Auto-stop can be modified to work at higher speeds (shut off engine when rolling downhill), and it's a huge fuel saver in the city. Additionally, any time the extra acceleration helps keep revs down, it's a net win.

You're also likely to lose a lot of fuel economy if you replace the curved hatch glass with a flat sheet - the slop of flat glass will be too steep and cause flow separation, which would defeat the purpose of extending the car with a boat tail. If you replace the glass, use something with a compound curve.

Have you yet removed your antenna base and rear winder washer fluid nozzle?

Would you be willing to post some pictures of your underbody modifications?
What are those that you're using to plug through washer nozzle and antenna holes? I dont have much interest in deleting the antenna but have the washer sprayer, I can't decide on a good way to plug the hole though.
-Front mount Air/Air intercooler
-Megasquirt MS3X ecu
-R18 Civic ignition coils
-245cc Injectors
-2 inch exhaust
-PSU "alternator"/No IMA
2013 Prius C (II)
Mattl92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl92 View Post
What are those that you're using to plug through washer nozzle and antenna holes? I dont have much interest in deleting the antenna but have the washer sprayer, I can't decide on a good way to plug the hole though.
I had them custom made, they're a one-off.

https://www.ebay.com/str/alloyandcarbon

They were willing to do both for me for the price of one. They may still have the plans to fit an Insight.

EDIT: I also pulled all of the tubing out, through the firewall and up to the pump in the washer reservoir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in