45mpg? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 45mpg?

So I picked up a manual 2000 insight with 42k miles about 1000 miles ago. IMA battery is working fine but the car has some generic 185/60/14 tires. I’m currently hovering between 45 and 46mpg and I’m wondering if those tires are killing my mileage that bad. Thanks!
Jcarr210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes,,,and no,, re 92 s are the tire of choice,but wear out quick on cars driven mostly in town with lots of turns,not very good for comfort but plus 10 on mpg easy. Check your belly pans and cold weather killing mpg too.
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

+1 to 442.

Yes the tires are killing your MPG to the tune of 8-10. The car was designed for the RE92, so everything else is down hill MPG wise. A heavy generic type tire could easily cost you 10 MPG, and you will never be able to get really good numbers with that tire, but..............

Gas is currently cheap, so look at the tires and see how many miles they have left in them. If it is 15-20,000 miles, you can kinda do the math for ROI in a new set of RE92. 45+ MPG is still pretty good relative to a Ford F150
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mileage is greatly influenced by how and where you drive. The learning curve is steep. It isn't like any other car you have driven. Of course you want the car to be "right", but the nut behind the wheel is the main factor. Short trips are bad. Stop and go is bad. AC use is bad. Cold weather is bad. Going fast is bad. Headwinds are bad. Etc. And yes, those big heavy tires are killing you.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah I’ve definitely found there’s a learning curve. I’ve learned to not lean on the battery as well as how to keep it charged. When I first got it I was averaging 39 mpg but am up to 45-46 just by changing driving habits.

I forgot to mention until I read it in here that it doesn’t have that cover under the engine either. I’m guessing that’s not helping any either.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Average 2 to 3 mpg for no cover, I would install Scott's famous front one piece pan, he's a great guy and anybody on west coast would do well by looking him up.
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I saw that pan but didn’t see a website or anything to order it from.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not only do the RE-92's improve your mpg, but they make your car easier to drive (maintain lean burn). Replaced my RE-92's for Michelins and have regretted it ever since.
-polycarbonate/aluminum DIY aeropanel-Calpod
-Max Re-gen
GChamb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarr210 View Post
So I picked up a manual 2000 insight with 42k miles about 1000 miles ago. IMA battery is working fine but the car has some generic 185/60/14 tires. I’m currently hovering between 45 and 46mpg and I’m wondering if those tires are killing my mileage that bad. Thanks!
If you are not correcting for the error in distance you travel vs the dash indication your mpg will be off because of the tire size difference between 185 and 165.

My MT car had a lifetime (lmpg) of 47 when I first bought it from the original owner with 175 tires on it. I put a set of RE-92s on it later and picked up about a 5% mpg increase as soon as I changed the tires. After a few tanks of gas I was getting a ~10% total mpg increase over the 175 tires. I reset the lmpg after a year of driving the car and it is now averaging 66 lmpg in town with the right tires on it etc.

What is the mpg lmpg on your car? Does it go into lean burn? What is your typical driving pattern? High speed commuting, stop and go traffic, cold weather etc? All of them kill mpg.

A lot of us are also running more tire psi than normal which helps get more mpg (55 psi front and 50 psi rear is typical). I would not change an older tire to those pressures because an older tire is already stretched to the pressure used up until now. One of my 175s developed the start of tread separation after I started running 55/50 in them.

If your car has over 110,000 miles and hasn't be maintained recently it probably could use a valve adjustment and spark plug change. Are you running the normal 0-20wt oil in the car?

Please fill in a little detail about your car in the avatar area. You'll see that the large majority of us have done so.

That will help people to diagnose any problems you might have with the car. And with luck another Insight owner that is near you might help with any problems you have.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarr210 View Post
So I picked up a manual 2000 insight with 42k miles about 1000 miles ago. IMA battery is working fine but the car has some generic 185/60/14 tires. Iím currently hovering between 45 and 46mpg and Iím wondering if those tires are killing my mileage that bad. Thanks!
I've put 1000 miles on my Insight and am still learning how to drive it for best mileage. If you got this mileage on a long road trip on the highway, then Something is Wrong. If this is around town, then it could be the tires plus not knowing the best techniques.

Or, it may be that Something is Wrong. On mine, the prior owner was getting this kind of long term mileage, and is not an aggressive driver. I've been slowly repairing the car and also not satisfied with the mileage (I have RE-92s reaching end of life). I recently fixed an exhaust leak and now I am getting an engine code for a lean mixture. I'm now suspecting low fuel rail pressure due to a possible leak in the fuel line in the tank (long story, and probably does not apply to you).

Honda Hybrid442 has told me that tires like your 185 60R14 are not going to give you that much a hit in mileage, especially after they break in. (Are your tires properly pressurized?)

I actually really like the 185 60R14 tire size. I once put some Yokohama 185 60R14 tires on a car that originally had 13" "bicycle wheels". I did not know until now that this car weighed only 150 pounds more than my Insight. It cornered like a dream with those tires and a modest shock-and-sway-bar upgrade, which arguably is "stock" for an Insight. So I'm really looking forward to similar tires on the Insight, as it seems that the added cost in reduced MPG is balanced by the substantially lower cost of these tires, with a boost in comfort as a benefit. So beware than an upgrade to RE-92 might disappoint?

I've been thinking of trying to find a local Insight hypermiler to drive around with me, basically call out my bad habits, correct my misperceptions, though @Natalya has offered some good tips recently in the What Did You Do To Your Insight Today thread. Perhaps you can find a member in your area to ride with you, then get some new numbers in both highway and city regimens.

I was really surprised by the power the Insight can put out during acceleration if you take it to 4000-5000 RPM. So if you are driving the Insight for its fun factor (which I had no *idea* it had before I bought mine) then 45 MPG is not so bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in