Owners with deleted IMA batteries - what are your avg MPGs? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Owners with deleted IMA batteries - what are your avg MPGs?

Recently bought a 2000 G1 with a slightly older bumblebee. We're waiting for the grid charger that came with the car to be repaired by the manufacturer, so in the mean time we took the IMA battery out and bypassed the system.

I'm finding that my MPGs are in the high 50s, however the car sees a lot of stop & go city driving.

I'm not looking for troubleshooting advice here, but rather wanted to get an idea of what everyone's average MPGs are like - with the IMA removed.
2007 Kawasaki KX250-R7
1987 Kawasaki KX250-E1
purple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Bypass MPG

My car is going to be on the low end, as it's still new to me and I'm working out all the issues. It's a 2000 m/t running Mudder's arduino bypass and I'm averaging around 47 mpg commuting 1000 miles a week mostly highway in central WI. I still find this amazing considering it needs the following:
Missing under tray skidplate
EGR has never been cleaned
Needs an alignment badly
Has old Tigerpaw tires on it
2000 Honda Insight - battery bypass - 47.4 mpg
ehahn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

I use my IMAless Insight for food delivery and I also have HCH1 transmission in my car for its closer gear ratio and lower final differential drive.

Lean Burn is verified enabled on my car and I have RE92 tires.

Yesterday, I hypermile to work and home, I got average of 69mpg. Drive slow, shut engine off coming redlight, low RPM, etc.
Today, I didn't hyper mile, I got mid 50's mpg.
When I use my Insight for food delivery with a/c running, I get high 40 to low 50's.
When I drove the car to California for almost 1000 miles round trip, I got 53 mpg while doing speed limit (75-65) and got stuck in CA's traffic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight,

Last edited by tryingbe; 04-23-2019 at 11:21 AM.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

I see this question often on Facebook groups. This is my copy/paste response:

"Posted this before. 70-90 mpg in the winter. Haven't driven it much during the summer yet. But I hypermile. I had my dad drive it a few times to see what MPG it could get without hypermiling, and he would get between 60 and 70 MPG. I also have a few ecomods to improve economy. So the average Insight, driven normally, without ecomods, should get 55-65 mpg, about the same as one with the IMA."
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default 70 mpg without IMA

Last summer I drove back to back, with IMA, then without. Averaged 71mpg with IMA and 70mpg without. No special hypermiling, but I don't romp on the throttle. I actually thought no IMA would be worse, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I still prefer to have an IMA battery when taking off from a stop.

Just my 0.02 worth,
Tim
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mine has the battery, but I can turn off assist/recharge with a clutch switch. Mixed driving, some city, mostly highway (65 mph), IMA in use or not, makes no real difference. Summer, about 70mpg. Winter about 64mpg. This is with driving softly on the pedals and going with the flow of traffic.

I prefer having the battery in town. On the highway, I like the car better without the IMA.
I'd own a Karmann Ghia, but prefer to not freeze in the winter!
Arbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is from a trip last night.

Currently have IMA removed, all 7 belly panels installed and 35 psi in bridgestones. The odo shows round trip miles with two adult passengers and about 15% city/stop-go miles. Rest was slightly hilly interstate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190424_091821.jpg (48.9 KB, 18 views)
2007 Kawasaki KX250-R7
1987 Kawasaki KX250-E1
purple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I drove my car 60 miles this morning to a new job and I went 50 to 65 miles an hour on the interstate I got 92 miles to the gallon when I got to work . That's with both seats in the car for big tires and one windshield wiper. I'm scared of the may pop space savers this far from home. I also have a good battery behind the seats 70 pounds but I keep it cut off with the clutch switch. I can go to work one day in the car for under 2 gallons of gas go the next day in my truck and be close to 10 gallons of fuel. I have to use it because I burned 200 gallons a day in the tractor. I have been reading about putting Kubota motors in Chevy Ford and Dodge trucks and getting four times better mileage. Thank you American truck companies we should've known better. -__________The pictures are number two and number four belong to my cousin guess which one he got for under $1000??? Answer… Both guess which one he got for under $500 Number 2 or I like to call it The big red.----One more thing people are now calling me wanting to buy a car I don't know why. I'm still trying to buy more myself. The only thing I can't compete with - with all you smart guys is ?I love these car as much as y'all. Everything else I am a student thank y'all I came home tonight and got 92 miles to the gallon again .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1788_1556158643306.jpg (32.5 KB, 14 views)
NathanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

I did a 90 mile round trip the last 2 days and averaged 87.1 according to the FCD. But my setup is weird. Did not use assist though, and today on the way home I had background charge on the highway.

Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ima turned off and bcm unplugged. Egr not been cleaned yet. Getting 48 mpg highway at 80mph, 43mpg city driving stop and go. And 50 some mpg around 45-50 mph.
Thats my real life data for the last week. Gone 241 miles on 3/4 tank. It drives like crap. 1st gear not low enough, 1st to second big jump. You learn quickly not to pull out infront of anyone.

But to those using mudders arduino ima removal anyone have good working code they could share. Need to do this so i can take my pack out so i can start lto conversion.
slociviccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in