New trip MPG record... 91.6! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New trip MPG record... 91.6!

I was doing real well drafting a SUPER WIDE and low truck of some sort. It looked like a Zamboni machine on the road. He was doing 65 mph and was literally pulling me along in lean burn for my entire freeway stint. My MPG dropped from 115 mpg down to 91.6 since I had 8 miles of driving in the city after my super awesome freeway run
gtmotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New trip MPG record... 91.6!

That's awesome. I find that Target semis are the best trucks to draft behind. They seem to be limited to a reasonable speed...

If you use hypermileage techniques with the Elise, what sort of mileage do you get?
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I tried to hypermile with the Elise but it's extremely frustrating in that car for several reasons:

1) It has the rolling resistance of a semi-truck (that's what you get with wide, sticky tires, downforce creating body work, transmission geared for acceleration, etc)

2) The throttle is extremely sensitive. I chose the 2005 model BECAUSE it has a throttle cable and not a DBW setup.

3) It sounds awesome... it's hard not to get into it when going underneath tunnels or passing by a semi truck.

4) When you have a car that does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds self restraint goes out the window

My best MPG with it is 37. My average hovers between 29-31 mpg (that includes a lot of full-throttle passes...) My worst is ~12 mpg on the track.
gtmotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Not bad mileage with the Elise, all things considered. Outstanding mileage with the Insight!
Patrickmilburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

That 30 mpg or so is still a good bit above what Detroit thinks is great fuel economy.

If I could figure out how to post pictures, though, I'd blow your Insight trip mpg out of the water. Got a picture showing 150 mpg for 69 miles - and I didn't draft at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
That 30 mpg or so is still a good bit above what Detroit thinks is great fuel economy.

If I could figure out how to post pictures, though, I'd blow your Insight trip mpg out of the water. Got a picture showing 150 mpg for 69 miles - and I didn't draft at all.
how is that possible? Do you havy any mods on the car? MIMA ? Was it going down hill with a heavy tail wind?
My mpg meter rarely shows 150mpg, and that even only when decelerating.\

I wish people would explain the details of the trip when claiming such high numbers. If its a normal unmodded insight, then its amazing. The best i've done in my stock insight is 90mpg (with alot of drafting, hills and a 60 mile trip, 70* weather)
Old 12-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

There's been quite a bit of discussion about this in the past, although it might be hard to find it.

Basically you have to drive slowly--40 mph-ish--and not need to stop for intersections or traffic. No wind. Level roads. Hot weather. A longer trip cancels out the cold engine and initial acceleration at the start of a trip, so go at least 25 miles or so at a minimum... It should not be too hard with a manual transmission to break into the 100s for a round trip under these conditions.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
There's been quite a bit of discussion about this in the past, although it might be hard to find it.

Basically you have to drive slowly--40 mph-ish--and not need to stop for intersections or traffic. No wind. Level roads. Hot weather. A longer trip cancels out the cold engine and initial acceleration at the start of a trip, so go at least 25 miles or so at a minimum... It should not be too hard with a manual transmission to break into the 100s for a round trip under these conditions.
Exactly, though a few things to add:
- up to 50mph-ish works well for me
- hot weather (and summer fuel) definitely helps, and longer trip (40 miles or more) to amortize the low mpg during warmup
- highway with no stops needed
- tailwinds obviously help, no wind is better than side or (obviously) head winds
- gently rolling terrain is better than dead flat: you drive up the uphills (without invoking assist) and then either coast the downhills engine-off (if they are steep enough) or drive down them in lean burn while getting a touch of regen to replace losses (electric steering is a biggie)
- higher tire pressures help because the car maintains speed better while coasting
- no drafting, but wakes from passing traffic do help, especially in a headwind
- I have MIMA but use it less extensively than many: mainly just to feed in extra regen here and there. And the FAS module makes engine-off coasting safer and more convenient, but key-off gives the same fuel saving.

That is how I got my 109.5 long distance trip last summer.

Obviously if the trip is overall significantly downhill that will increase the mpg, but my trip was not.
red1dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Actually, on parts of that 150 mpg trip I was hitting 75 or more. The trick is to start at Carson Pass on California Hwy 88, which is about 8500 ft, and take the picture near Clemens, close to sea level

It's not all downhill, though: there are several steep climbs, for instance coming out of Silver Lake & Jackson, and a few traffic lights. Does give a pretty impressive picture, though. For the complete round trip - from home, near Reno, to San Jose & back - I'd typically get around 70-75 mpg unless there was snow.

|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in