2000MT- 42mpg in Akron Ohio :( - Brrrrrrrrr - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 05:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2000MT- 42mpg in Akron Ohio :( - Brrrrrrrrr

Hey,
Anybody else getting that low of MPG around here? I drive about 65% city and I realize its do to the cold but it would warm me to know someone else is suffering like me.
Joe
Joekingiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Re: 2000MT- 42mpg in Akron Ohio :( - Brrrrrrrrr

My winter mpg numbers take a pretty good dive also. This is mostly due to extra warmup idling time. The car also gets lower mpg on colder days for highway driving (45 - 65 mph). In the summer I can easily get 80+ mpg on these routes, in the winter it drops to 65 - 70 mpg. Usually I just give up up and take the interstate doing 75 mph and end up getting the same mileage.

Last winter I averaged 45 mpg due to all of this, but with plugin charging I have averaged just under 60 mpg so far this winter. So there was some improvement.

2000 DIY Generic GT15 Turboed Silver Insight, #5550
Pioneer DEH-X6700BT 4X Polk Audio 6.5", 2X Aura AST-2B-4 Bass Shaker, Stealth Box Sub
Mima #47, BCM Gauge, Ford Hybrid Escaped™ custom 144v 11AH battery pack w. 20% current mod, Matiz rear springs & Monroe shocks, 25mm rear wheel spacers & Blasphemer™ spat cutout, single cone tranny mod
uhtrinity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

yea my numbers suffer pretty hard in the winter too...between just driving in the colder weather, and the necessity of letting the car run to warm it up to combat ice and snow i usually see about a 10mpg drop in the winter

i keep wanting to make myself a radiator block, but never seem to get around to it
Past Vehicles:
'00 Honda Insight, '06 Honda CBR600f4i, '93 Mazda MX-3, '91 Honda Civic
ikhoudvanu199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Back in my early days with three winters in Montana I used pieces of cardboard to partially block radiator air flow to keep the engine and heater system at normal summer operating temperatures. By watching your temperature gauge carefully and keeping several sizes behind the seat back you should be able keep your Insight in a temperature range to help the fuel economy. I also manually shut of the engine at stops during the warm up period so I am at least moving during the warm up. I don't have any bright ideas to help on rolling resistance and drag when slogging through the snow. Occasional stops to knock out the built up snow and ice in the wheel wells helps to reduce the weight.
With Insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mine suffers pretty hard in city traffic, my last 250 miles averaged in at about 49mpg. I still get 60-65mpg on rural county roads, but stop and go, and fast highway speed kill my mpg in the winter. Lean burn is much more difficult to engage and sustain as there is very narrow window in cold weather. I find that slower (35-45mph) consistent throttle driving in 3rd or 4th gear can often yield more lean burn potential situations than 55-65mph highway driving in the winter. I also run different (all season kumho) tires on HX rims for the winter which surely take away a solid 5 to 10mpg.
113k p1447 pack/mcm/bcm
105k engine grounds
43k LAF sensor
budomove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhtrinity
Last winter I averaged 45 mpg due to all of this, but with plugin charging I have averaged just under 60 mpg so far this winter.
Please explain what this means. You charge the pack by a plug in mod, and if so how does this increase mpg? ....or are you talking about a block heater?
113k p1447 pack/mcm/bcm
105k engine grounds
43k LAF sensor
Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I have been running a parallel pack mod since last spring, and also plugin charge those packs. I don't have a garage and use a simple cardboard radiator block in the winter.

Pioneer DEH-X6700BT 4X Polk Audio 6.5", 2X Aura AST-2B-4 Bass Shaker, Stealth Box Sub
Mima #47, BCM Gauge, Ford Hybrid Escaped™ custom 144v 11AH battery pack w. 20% current mod, Matiz rear springs & Monroe shocks, 25mm rear wheel spacers & Blasphemer™ spat cutout, single cone tranny mod
Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wow, so it is not exactly the plug in recharge, but the added assist you get from having the extra voltage that comes along with the second pack that increases mpg then?
113k p1447 pack/mcm/bcm
105k engine grounds
43k LAF sensor
Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Exactly, for in town driving I am at 50% assist most of the time which allows the car to use less fuel. Not bad for a 10 cent nightly charge (~1.6 - 2.0 Ah).

Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Joe - I drive to Akron (Fairlawn - Bath) area everyday....I hate to say it but I'm still pulling low 70's (but it's 90+ % highway). If I didn't have the radiator block, hot air mod. mima and FAS it would be much, much less. If you've got some of the mods, check the amount of slush etc around all the wheels - it can add a lot of drag.
Wayne
Waynetc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in