Low Gas mileage? Spark Plugs - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Low Gas mileage? Spark Plugs

I purchased my 2001 MT Insight a year ago at 104k miles and in the last 6 months I have noticed my MPG drop to just under 50 with 90% city driving and only about 55-60 on the Freeway.

Having implemented all the basic hypermiling techniques (tire pressure, pedal usage, coasting, etc) with very little gains I started looking at maintenance solutions. I changed the oil, installed OEM Bridgestone RE92 tires, and checked the brakes.

Just today I received the OEM spark plugs from hondapartsnow.com (14.62ea+S/H) and I just finished throwing them in and what happened? 77.5MPG trip mileage happened. Honda recommends plugs get changed at 105k and I was at 119k so they were due, I just didn't realize they made that much of a difference.

SO, if you are over 105k and the plugs haven't been done, I highly recommend it. Here are the basics:

- Our engines are finely tuned and they require indexed plugs. Basically what this means is that there is a stamp next to each cylinder which will be either lettered A, B, C or D. Each engine is different so you need to order the right part numbers.
- Get a torque wrench that will do in-lb and set it to 204in-lb (17ft-lb). It is of the upmost importance that you get this right because it will affect mileage and how well the car runs. Not to mention you can mess up the threads.

- The plugs are pre-gapped to 1.0 - 1.1mm (mine were 1.1mm). My old plugs were gapped at 1.175mm, 1.15mm and 1.175mm respectively so it makes a difference.
travisgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting. I recently got my plugs done, hadn't noticed a change in the mileage. Though, it hadn't decreased prior to the replacement.
JimmyHiggins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I checked rockauto.com for my 2001 insight and the spark plugs are 4-6 bucks a piece. WHy are they so much cheaper? Will they work?
olsonski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Why is pulstar spark plugs advertising here if they dont offer a spark plug for my insight?!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I suspect that the advertising on this website is purely generated by a network of forums and it looks for key words, not specific models.

The plugs for sale at rockauto.com are generic plugs and since I've never heard of indexed plugs for any other vehicle I doubt that manufacturers think there is that much of a difference. The truth is that with our vehicles there is a difference. I read a post with an Aussie who had a fouled plug and it was one of these generic plugs that a mechanic had thrown in because they didn't know the difference.

Are they different? Yes. Should you get the cheaper ones anyway? I wouldn't recommend it. It's kind of like putting a 13" tire on a car with 14" tires... it will probably work so-so at best but eventually there will be trouble.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

ARe you sure these are the oem plugs?
I checked the website, but when I went to the honda dealer today they want $40 for each spark plug!
Sheesh!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

The plugs here: Genuine Honda Ignition Coil - 2001 Honda Insight Ignition Coil - Hatchback DX A/C 5MT KA E__05 are OEM. You need to look at the marking on your engine to determine to order the A, B, C or D plugs because each cylinder on each engine is different. My dealer wanted $24 each, and the hondapartsnow price is down to $14.10 each.

DO NOT order these without checking which ones you need.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

learned it the hard way, i had this preconcieved notion before that generic plugs are applicable to all, so i bought an aftermarket one, AC Delco Spark Plug Wire, without checking my engine first. result, flushed down 30+bucks.

Last edited by archebald23; 07-12-2010 at 09:40 PM.
archebald23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archebald23 View Post
learned it the hard way, i had this preconcieved notion before that generic plugs are applicable to all, so i bought an aftermarket one, AC Delco Spark Plug Wire, without checking my engine first. result, flushed down 30+bucks.
Yeah, if it were just about any other car you would have been right but because these insights are so finely tuned for mileage, even which direction the spark plug head faces matters.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Artric

Changed mine around 110k and noticed nothing. Feels like wasted cash to me. Wish I had a noticeable jump, but oh well...

I'm not electric, I just coast a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best Tank:
with gas to spare.

! Now With 100% More MIMA & a
!
Newest mod:
!

14, 47, 80, 113
Artric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mpg, spark plugs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in