EGR Plate, Gasket & Valve Cleaning - MPG! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default EGR Plate, Gasket & Valve Cleaning - MPG!

Just thought I would put out another real life MPG story as it relates to the EGR components. My 2000 MT was jerking and doing all the other stuff everyone writes about but the mileage was down in the 62-65mpg range too. I am a little embarrased to show the first picture but the results are so dramatic that I may just take the 45 mins every June and clean the EGR system. Also, after seeing the results in the MT, I cleaned the 2006 CVT and it was noticeable (not as much as the MT with LBM) but still I can attribute a good 3-5 mpg on the CVT to this simple effort. Anyway, here a couple pics of the EGR before and after and the mileage after. Cleaning the EGR components is a pretty simple thing to do (especially after the first time).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gasket Buildup 2.jpg (87.1 KB, 1155 views)
File Type: jpg EGR Plate ports plugged.jpg (96.1 KB, 967 views)
File Type: jpg After EGR Cleaning (4).jpg (92.0 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg Cleaned and ready to install.jpg (91.3 KB, 918 views)

2000 MT Silver 70K

Last edited by kcarson; 07-04-2009 at 11:34 AM.
kcarson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default EGR Plate, Gasket & Valve Cleaning - MPG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarson View Post
My 2000 MT was jerking and doing all the other stuff everyone writes about but the mileage was down in the 62-65mpg range too. I am a little embarrased to show the first picture but the results are so dramatic that I may just take the 45 mins every June and clean the EGR system.
Was this the first time your 2000's EGR system had been cleaned? Do you feel that spending 45 minutes each year would be worthwhile considering how few miles you drive each year (~6000)?

My 2000 Insight has been driven about 23,000 miles and I haven't noticed any of the dirty EGR system symptoms yet. Do you have any feeling about how often (in distance driven) the EGR system should be cleaned?
Sold 16 July 2017: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
2014 BMW i3 BEV
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

How about 125,000 on a 2006 with no issues? Does anyone know what the EGR "schedule" on the MT vs. the CTV looks like?
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisbell View Post
Was this the first time your 2000's EGR system had been cleaned? Do you feel that spending 45 minutes each year would be worthwhile considering how few miles you drive each year (~6000)?

My 2000 Insight has been driven about 23,000 miles and I haven't noticed any of the dirty EGR system symptoms yet. Do you have any feeling about how often (in distance driven) the EGR system should be cleaned?
The more you drive with cheap gasoline combined with city driving; you will need even more often cleaning. However, good gas and highway miles; you should be good for another 200,000. I drove accord 86 for 200,000 with shell and changed the oil every 3000 miles the car still runs like a champ. When you look at the tail pipe its clean. I always say, good gas/synthetic oil every 3000ml/ and skinny w and you will be happy.
insight1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

When you pull the EGR plate, can you reuse the intake gasket, o-rings and egr gasket? I assume you have to drop the intake manifold.
Thanks.
mikemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemo View Post
When you pull the EGR plate, can you reuse the intake gasket, o-rings and egr gasket? I assume you have to drop the intake manifold.
Thanks.
I had new gaskets handy, but I resused the old ones ... they didn't look too bad.
bciesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Looks like when the dealer replaces a EGR they do not clean the plate so I am taking mines apart this week!
2001 Insight CVT #2657
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

211,136 miles 10-22-11
Color: B-66P= Monte Carlo Blue Mica
2001Insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

i cleaned my egr valve and the plate about a year ago. I have noticed recently my jerkiness is starting to come back. I drive about 15k miles a year, mostly highway though.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are there step by step directions with glossy photographs with arrows & things showing exactly what to do for the mechanically challenged? I wouldn't want to attempt this without a clear understanding of what I'm doing.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodesiq View Post
Are there step by step directions with glossy photographs with arrows & things showing exactly what to do for the mechanically challenged? I wouldn't want to attempt this without a clear understanding of what I'm doing.
I think this should help:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...ning-pics.html
Calpod switch
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit *coming soon*
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in