CVT sweet spot at 68mph? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default CVT sweet spot at 68mph?

I have noticed a sweet spot at about 68mph, 2800rpm. MPG goes up to about 75 and I can keep speed.

Has anyone else noticed this spot? am I just imagining it? Any other sweet spots to know about?

LMPG since purchase: 54.1mpg
Mods Completed: HDFM/CD player, Air Horns.
New Battery at 212,000 miles (BumbleBee)
ac7ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

I often manually-cruise at 70-75 mph and get mileage in the mid- to high-60s, a/c on Econ at 72. With the Rostra cruise on, that can drop to the high-50s to low-60s. See #6:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...mpg-55mph.html

Between 35-45 mph, normal city cruising, however, I can get substantially better mileage than other ranges. My ScanGage II frequently shows mileage in the 200+ mpg range, and the FCD display can max out for blocks on end without dropping speed on flat-to-slow-rolling Dallas streets. Here's what I recorded for a doubting Thomas last week on the way to his office:

Old 07-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac7ss View Post
I have noticed a sweet spot at about 68mph, 2800rpm. MPG goes up to about 75 and I can keep speed.
My best MPG spot is about 45MPH but there is probably a reason for the sweet spot that you noticed @2800 RPM. Even though you may not get the best mileage at that speed and RPM, the VTEC kicks in at 2700 RPM when under engine load. At a point just before VTEC under engine load, your MPG may be a bit lower until the secondary valve changes providing a bit more power allowing you to ease off the throttle just a bit but still continue with VTEC engaged.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner
Low Speed Auto Stop (LSAS)
ABS - IMA regen enabler (allows regen during ABS)
Relocated outside temp sensor near mid engine
Cooling fans powered by 12V Solar Panel

2004 CVT Red Insight
joecvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecvt View Post
My best MPG spot is about 45MPH but there is probably a reason for the sweet spot that you noticed @2800 RPM. Even though you may not get the best mileage at that speed and RPM, the VTEC kicks in at 2700 RPM when under engine load. At a point just before VTEC under engine load, your MPG may be a bit lower until the secondary valve changes providing a bit more power allowing you to ease off the throttle just a bit but still continue with VTEC engaged.

This spot is a transitory thing on my commute, as there is no real flat part for any considerable distance. (not to mention that part of it is highly patrolled.) But the VTEC was my suspicion as well.

LMPG since purchase: 54.1mpg
Mods Completed: HDFM/CD player, Air Horns.
New Battery at 212,000 miles (BumbleBee)
ac7ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I vote for 2,000 & 3,800 rpm in 5th gear, at least for the manual tranny.

Support Halo Select Auto Parts

Text Brents Mom419-460-436 seven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Kevin, that BSFC plot is off a CVT, and may be tainted by IMA. And if you draw horsepower isolines, you find that cruising at 4000RPM puts you in the >280g/kWh range.

I really wish we had a useable BSFC plot, because it would answer these questions authoratively.

@ac7ss: Your mpg figure sounds quite a bit high for steady state cruising on flat land. Try using the FCD button to record mpg across a predictable part of your commute, and do it in the opposite direction on your way home. Record the mpg using different techniques, and you'll be able to tell what works.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, I don't know how you're doing that well. I get about 47 when I'm at 75 and the A/C on 76.

My sweet spot is probably around 45 or so- I can get about 52.
Mysticfyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, I don't know how you're doing that well. I get about 47 when I'm at 75 and the A/C on 76.

My sweet spot is probably around 45 or so- I can get about 52.
I'm not sure to whom that was directed, but... make sure your tires are at 50#s, like mine; watch your fuel bars, keep them above 75 mpg; immediately release the accelerator when you see an upcoming stop, whether potential (e.g., a red light a block away that could change to green) or actual (a stop sign); don't pass other cars; drive away from a stop as though you had an egg under your foot that you didn't want to crush; "pulse and glide," accelerate slightly to just past your desired speed, then release your foot off the gas slightly once you reach your desired speed, and as you slow down, repeat; and whenever possible, follow traffic (I'm not advocating drafting like a race car, but even at slow speeds, following another car two-three-four car lengths back makes a difference. Two seconds back on the highway, please). Do those, and you may see a decrease in your consumption...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here is what I did yesterday with an average speed of 45MPH on a 25 mile round trip:

This was with some hilly areas and some stop and go....I wish I had a long flat area to try this on a hot summer day....Temp was about 85F and both windows fully open. OEM tires at 50 psi.

For a six mile stretch of road, I was at 99.4MPG I took this picture at the end of my trip while in AutoStop.

I think for a CVT, the best sweat spot range is at 40-45MPH.

Low Speed Auto Stop (LSAS)
ABS - IMA regen enabler (allows regen during ABS)
Cooling fans powered by 12V Solar Panel

2004 CVT Red Insight
joecvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
For a six mile stretch of road, I was at 99.4MPG I took this picture at the end of my trip while in AutoStop.
Wow, those mpg's are amazing!!

Quote:
I think for a CVT, the best sweat spot range is at 40-45MPH.
I think the same is true for the MT, or possibly even a touch slower.

Quote:
Maybe you need to change "average" to something else???
red1dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cvt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in