Understanding MPG computations - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Understanding MPG computations

It's been almost two months of Insight ownership for me and I feel like I'm still learning how the Insight works. Today as I was driving to work it occurred to me that when I reset, say, the segment read-out, I feel like the mpg reads higher and changes often. However, the Trip A/B read-out, which is not reset and shows cummulative miles, has small incremental MPG changes. Today I decided to view Trip B, which I didn't reset and had about 70 cummulative miles from five separate trips. The mpg stayed at a constant 53.x mpg (city driving, CVT). Normally when I do a reset of the segment, the mpg will read a bit higher at the end of the trip.

Btw, when starting the car at --mpg, the sequence seems to be: 6.7, 25.1, 39, 41, 53, 54.2, 56.1, 59, 61, 65, etc.

It seems there are big jumps eary on and then the changes become more linear until it remains steady with small changes.

Last edited by dirty hippie; 10-01-2010 at 07:32 PM.
dirty hippie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Cold engine, warm engine and average over greater distance. It's all relative.
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Bigger jumps early on the trip, as the display updates in 1 minute steps.

2000 Red Insight MT. #032
IMAC&C & OBDIIC&C.
faxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is just averaging at work. It updates at specific time intervals and tells you the average MPG over the previous XX.X miles at that time when it updates.

When your trip meter has already 500 miles on it, you will not be able to alter the MPG readout with only the most recent 2 miles or whatever happened since the last display update. When you reset and get 75 MPG over the first 2 miles, and then update after 2 miles at 50mpg, it will read 62.5 mpg.

It is as simple as that.

I often predict what I shoul dbe able to get my MPG to over a short segment. Say I have 500 miles on my TRIP A and 60 MPG. I know I will be driving 50 miles on an upcoming segment so if I manage a 10% higher mpg over that segment, I will get a 1% jump in the TRIP A reading.
boo to commuting in traffic
nayrhyno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in