Michelin Energy Saver tires - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Michelin Energy Saver tires

Wondered if anyone has used these tires and if there was any significant increase in MPG? They are available at Costco but almost $40 more than the Potenzas.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Never mind, I should have done a search first. Don't know why they are called "energy saver" if you get less MPG? And they are not all season but are more expensive???
Old 11-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's probably the "wear factor". The std. RE92 are 260, The Michlins are probably 460. I'll have to check on that. All Michlins are more expensive that the major brands.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I really like my 175s Kumho Eco Solus. Ride is a bit rough at 50lbs but handling is nicer than the Potenzas. I don't know about gas savers but at $56. they are money savers.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I went thru this problem about a year ago. I needed new tires and went to my tire guy, he recommended some Pirelli that he said were LLR. Since he knew what low rolling resistance was, I was impressed and since they had a 80k mile life, I said ok.

They installed them and I drove off. Right away, looking at my milage I knew that I was going to be getting less MPG. And since they were a little wider, I had Massive torque steer, I'd accelerate and the car would pull to the right and I'd have to comensate by steering left, then I'd let up on the accelerator and the car would drift left... I got about 50 mpg and the next day took them back. The salesman said no problem to change them out for Potenza's, but it'll take a week to get them in. I drove about 400 miles (daily commute of 54) and hated every minute.

I did a spreadsheet, Potenza's 45k miles 60 mpg $356 set of 4, Pirelli 80k miles 50 mpg $280 set of 4, $3.00 gas, adjusting for the 45k/80k difference the Potenza were cheaper to run for 80k miles by $550.

So even though they don't last as long, since the MPG is better, they are cheaper in the long run.
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 234k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli, Daewoo Matiz rear Springs by Matt

Tucson AZ

Last edited by Rush; 11-25-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: just re-read thread and saw that 45k/60k should be 45k/80k
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

(apologies since this is a I1 thread but...)
Michelin Energy Savers are NOT more expensive than the OEM Bridgestones my I2 has on since it left the factory.
Michelins (at least in Greece) are less expensive that Bridgestones, yet a bit more expensive that Dunlops or Pirellis. YET, they last for a lot longer and they compensate for their price difference by lasting for at least 1.5 times more than most brands. Last time i had the Energy Savers on my last car they lasted for 40K km or 28K miles. This is quite a lot in our crappy roads...
Concerning economy riding i can say that yes, they do what they say. I used to get 480-500km per tank in my last car having Pirellis on. When i switched to Michelin Energy Savers i usually got from 500-530 per fuel tank.
IMHO they do what they say and i am throwing away my Turanzas just before christmas to put on the Savers.
Ehetleos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehetleos View Post
(apologies since this is a I1 thread but...)
Yes, but.... You may not be aware that the tire situation is totally different for the I1 vs the I2. The I1 takes a special small skinny 165/65-14 size with limited choices. People go to wider or larger diameter tires for various reasons (handling, grip, ride), but so far nobody has found a tire that gives higher mpg than the OEM tires. And many many tests were reported here. The difference is especially noticeable when one is driving for mpg: usually 10-15mpg when the car is at 80mpg or better.

Apparently the OEM Potenzas were specially developed for the Insight-I: AFAIK no other cars take this size, and at 13 lbs it is lighter than anything else we found, including all the other Potenzas (Sizes and Specifications).

They are rated at 40K miles but driving moderately on reasonable road surfaces at 60psi my OEM tires are still fine at 60K miles. The 60psi pressure may help reduce wear: less flex, less heat buildup.

If I had rough road surfaces I don't know what I would try, perhaps slowing down even more.
red1dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in